Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Patch 5.3: Pushing the Horde apart

"Patch 5.3 will tell the story that leads up to the Siege of Orgrimmar. Varian will bring the Alliance together and push the Horde apart."
    (Taken from the front page)

After reading this, I can't wait to see what the 5.3 daily hubs will be like, especially from the Alliance PoV. I wonder what we could do to put them at ends with each other like sabotage missions or something. Will the simple unity of the Alliance be overwhelming and make the Horde leaders blame Garrosh for their disparities? Then how exactly would it work from the Horde PoV as well? Will their quest hub story line show them losing as it progresses? Maybe the quest hubs will actually start where both the horde and the alliance are outside the doors of Orgrimmar, slowly trying to invade its walls, similar to how the ToT dailies are now.

Anyone have their own ideas of what will happen?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    you have a super sweet sig.
    You cared enough to post.

I honestly hate speculation because sometimes it goes too far but here we go..

They could do another stage affect on the dailies where we start the push from the shores of Pandaria and the other leaders of the Horde begin siding with the Alliance to end Garrosh's reign. So far we know he tried to kill Varians son and that he is dabbling in Demonic powers again regardless that he vowed not to. Garrosh is a war mongering Orc willing to start a full blown war regardless of what his people think, even convincing them to become a single minded war machine( a certain Scenario is testament to this ). In the end I feel that Vol'Jins words will definitely come to pass.

"I know exactly what I'll be doin' about it, son of Hellscream. I'll be watchin' as ya people slowly become aware of ya ineptitude. I'll laugh as dey grow ta despise ya as I do. And when tha time comes dat ya failure is complete and ya "power" is meaningless, I will be dere to end ya rule, swiftly and silently. Ya will spend ya reign glancin' over ya shoulda and fearin' tha shadows, for when tha time comes and ya blood be slowly drainin' out, ya will know exactly who fired da arrow dat pierced ya black heart."
    Last edited by IronArms; 2013-03-19 at 02:48 AM.

5.3's Horde story is likely going to involve Orcs and Tauren to a main degree. Likely touch on Goblins and maybe even Forsaken.

Basically, the Blood Elves and Trolls are ready for the rebellion, but the rest of the Horde is still 'loyal'. (I use that word as the other races haven't been given an ultimate reason to leave the Horde and turn on Garrosh.)

Baine promised Garrosh that should another Theramore happen, he would no longer have the support of the Tauren. Despite that, he's still loyal to the Horde, as he is involved in Pandaria. Something will have to happen to push him out entirely (maybe learning of Vol'jin's attempted assassination?). I think Baine will be extremely angry with the rumors, but Garrosh will try to twist something, blaming Vol'jin for the event. Likely, something else will happen with Baine involved.

The Orcs also need a reason. Hellscream is the ultimate champion for the Orcs (except the odd few who have the same ideals as Drek'Thar/Thrall. The Horde, thought mainly the Orcs, needed a champion for their faction and Garrosh was that. He has brought countless victories to the Horde and with the whole "Loyalty to the Warchief" idea that most Orcs have, they will continue to believe this until something happens to them. Some atrocious. Maybe Garrosh puts down an Orc? Drek'thar, Saurfang, Rexxar? Whatever happens, the Orcs need a reason to turn on him.

Forsaken are one of the few that need very little story to turn on Garrosh. Garrosh gave them plenty of reason to hate when he insulted their Queen in Cataclysm and his ignoring of Sylvanas's plea in ToW may have sealed the deal. Kosak has talked briefly on Sylvanas, but isn't sure if her story will come sooner than later. I can see her playing a role in the aftermath of Orgrimmar- take advantage of the chaos and take the Undercity for her, not the Horde.

Goblins are the one race I really want to see step up. Gallywix will side with the most profitable side, but I think the Cartel should separate and fight back. Kick some Gallywix ass.

How the Alliance will play a role in "pushing the Horde apart" will be interesting.

Deleted
    I'm more concerned about how Varian will bring Alliance together (looking at you, Little Patience scenario).

As i speculated before in some older thread, surely Varian will drink Dwarven Council under the table, teaches Mekkatorque how to build better machines, shows Greymane how to keep his beast inside in check and gives Velen lengthy sermon about Light. And maybe teaches pandarens some new kungfu moves. "omfg u r teh high king now"

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstrider View Post
    dabbling in Demonic powers again
    I know its pretty likely but has this been confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister J View Post
    Goblins are the one race I really want to see step up. Gallywix will side with the most profitable side, but I think the Cartel should separate and fight back. Kick some Gallywix ass.
    Yeah same. I really liked a few of the notes left by the goblins at domination point about Garrosh.
    Pretty sure they'll have a part.

I'll love to see a little bit more Bilgewater lore... and a Gallywix model.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he means he will start to make allies with the Trolls, Tauren and Blood elves (And our heroes). And in doing so pulling them away from the horde.
    Aye mate

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    I'm more concerned about how Varian will bring Alliance together (looking at you, Little Patience scenario).
    Retake Stromgarde and take the war to the Forsaken while reinforcing Theramore and Ashenvale for a two pronged assualt on Durotar?

EJL

15+ Year Old Account
    Dave Kosak already confirmed that the Darkspear are about to go into open rebellion. The Sunreavers and Kirin Tor I think will take a back seat while they plan and plot and gain an understanding of the powers they've claimed from the Thunder King.

I think Garrosh and Varian will step into the forefront. We may also see some of the other leaders emerge in more important roles.

There have been hints that 5.3 will take us beyond the shores of Pandaria to show us how the war is affecting the rest of the world, so I hope that we also finally get some development with the Huojin and Tushui pandaren and their ambassadors, who have had far less importance thus far than I would've hope.

Micky Neilson has been trying to get Rexxar into the plot, hopefully that'll happen soon, too. Maybe he'll return from Outland to help out his old Darkspear buddies and reunite with Chen Stormstout, too.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2013-03-19 at 06:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldscar View Post
    I know its pretty likely but has this been confirmed?

Yeah same. I really liked a few of the notes left by the goblins at domination point about Garrosh.
    Pretty sure they'll have a part.

I'll love to see a little bit more Bilgewater lore... and a Gallywix model.
    Could you link or paraphrase those? I didn't know they existed.

Probably would be working in unison with the alliance but in different areas to prevent confrontation. Alliance focus primarily on the west wall, horde dailies would be east. That is what I would expect.

I am saying it right now.

The horde and alliance will both fracture, and races from both sides will join both factions. It only makes sense. You have factions of Dwarfs, Gnomes, Humans, Panada's (hint), etc.. that will easily side with the Horde. The same as you have factions of Troll's, Tauren, Blood Elves, Goblins who will side with Alliance.

Not to mention you have all new player models and animations coming. Nothing can generate the money for Blizzard, than Alliance getting Horde races, and Horde getting Alliances races. The race transfer cash will be flowing in. Not to mention I think it would be very interesting from a lore perspective. Even Wrathion speaks of both factions uniting.

Although I think they will remain seperate factions, perhaps Horde having to be rebuilt. But it only makes sense races will split away.

(all this for next expansion of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    I am saying it right now.

The horde and alliance will both fracture, and races from both sides will join both factions. It only makes sense. You have factions of Dwarfs, Gnomes, Humans, Panada's (hint), etc.. that will easily side with the Horde. The same as you have factions of Troll's, Tauren, Blood Elves, Goblins who will side with Alliance.

Not to mention you have all new player models and animations coming. Nothing can generate the money for Blizzard, than Alliance getting Horde races, and Horde getting Alliances races. The race transfer cash will be flowing in. Not to mention I think it would be very interesting from a lore perspective. Even Wrathion speaks of both factions uniting.

Although I think they will remain seperate factions, perhaps Horde having to be rebuilt. But it only makes sense races will split away.

(all this for next expansion of course)
    Mixing of races and factions would ruin the integrity of the entire game. Blizz would NEVER do this unless the game was breathing it's dying breath and they were milking it for it's last dollar. I still think the game has quite a few years left in it.

I can see them putting some kind of situation in the game where the factions have to work together, but I highly doubt they would go as far as to ruin the identity of each faction by allowing faction mixtures of the different races.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Mixing of races and factions would ruin the integrity of the entire game. Blizz would NEVER do this unless the game was breathing it's dying breath and they were milking it for it's last dollar. I still think the game has quite a few years left in it.

I can see them putting some kind of situation in the game where the factions have to work together, but I highly doubt they would go as far as to ruin the identity of each faction by allowing faction mixtures of the different races.
    It would not ruin the integrity of the game. This game is all about adapting and changing lore.

The factions would still exist from what he's saying, only there would be some who side with one side and others who side with the other in all the races.

That vision Velen had of the Golden Clad warrior leading Horde and Alliance races with the Dragons and Naaru against the Burning Legion would actually make sense with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    It would not ruin the integrity of the game. This game is all about adapting and changing lore.

The factions would still exist from what he's saying, only there would be some who side with one side and others who side with the other in all the races.

That vision Velen had of the Golden Clad warrior leading Horde and Alliance races with the Dragons and Naaru against the Burning Legion would actually make sense with this.
    I agree with your opinion..
    The groundwork has been laid with the Pandaren. They get to choose which side they want to join. And if I look at all races, I can only see 2 races that cannot bind. Those could be the cornerstones of either Horde and Alliance.... Humans and Orcs. If you choose one of the two, there's no choice which side to join.. All others do have a choice. Because for every race is a possibility to make a case why the toon pleads allegiance to the faction of choice.

As far as pushing the Horde apart.. That's no rocket science really. Any somewhat capable diplomat can do that. The most work is done by Garrosh himself. For all it needs is to point the Horde leaders into the direction to see.... It's like putting salt into the open wound. So yeah, I expect a diplomatic development of the storyline. I am interested of what's going on on the home front. Right now, the progress shown us a huge activity of the Blood Elfs. At this stage, Lor'Themar runs the show at the Island of Thunder. I like that development. After all, them Belfs are apparently for more good than standing around in the isolation of the Ghostlands like an unwanted stepchild.

The Alliance has a huge advantage in this conflict. There's no worry about inner power struggles. Varian is respected and accepted by all races as the High Commander. Only Jaina is the spice in the soup of harmony right now.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-03-19 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post

It makes absolutely zero lore sense why some races would side w/ the opposite faction. Just off the top of my head, Blood elves were exploited and murdered by the alliance in droves which is why they joined the horde. For protection. Right now, they are very unhappy with Garrosh, but that doesn't mean they would run to the alliance. If anything, they would just break off as a separate faction.

What would night elves want with the horde? What self-respecting orc would go kneel before Varian? Worgens are going to side with the horde, home of the forsaken? Do you not remember Gilneas? etc, etc, etc. I mean, come on. If anything these races would break off into different factions, not run into the enemy's open arms.

Orcs vs. Human is what started this franchise and it's very doubtful Blizzard is going to ruin that integrity.

The groundwork has been laid with the Pandaren. They get to choose which side they want to join. And if I look at all races, I can only see 2 races that cannot bind. Those could be the cornerstones of either Horde and Alliance.... Humans and Orcs. If you choose one of the two, there's no choice which side to join.. All others do have a choice. Because for every race is a possibility to make a case why the toon pleads allegiance to the faction of choice.
    Pandarens are completely different than the other races in Azeroth. They are relatively new to the whole horde/alliance thing. They don't have the long running rivalries of the other races.

Deleted
    I think "pushing the Horde apart" means that they will seek out certain members of the Horde, Baine and Vol'jin most likely, maybe some orcs, to make an Alliance against Garrosh. Maybe someone from each Horde race to show that there is now a clear line between Garrosh's supporters and the players, so that it makes sense for the Horde players to participate in the Siege of Orgrimmar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Pandarens are completely different than the other races in Azeroth. They are relatively new to the whole horde/alliance thing. They don't have the long running rivalries of the other races.
    Pandaren are only new in WoW. They are not new to the lore. Pandaren, particularly Chen Stormstout are in the story since WCIII..
    What matters is the mechanic.. The mechanic has been put into the game, for a race to choose sides. The mechanic to give the player the choice independent from the race they play. Because there's a case made that makes the choosing plausible. And the same can be done for all other races with the exception of Orc and Human.

What would night elves want with the horde?
    Blood is thicker than water. isn't it?
    Why should a Night Elf or a Blood Elf for the same reason, not feel a bond between him and the other Elf? You know, they've once been one and the same.. Whereas in the big picture Night Elfs and Blood Elfs are separated, on the small scale of an individual there's a very logic case for either one choosing side. A fed up Blood Elf who just has it with all the Horde crap going on, too proud to put up with it anymore.. He chooses to part with his old family.... Logic..

Worgens are going to side with the horde, home of the forsaken? Do you not remember Gilneas?
    Well, even Worgen or especially them can find a grain of understanding. Both are cursed if you will. Worgen and Forsaken. Both have a common history.. Both have once been humans before they've fallen to the curse.
    If it wasn't for the NElfs, the Worgen wouldn't be in the Alliance.

Orcs vs. Human is what started this franchise and it's very doubtful Blizzard is going to ruin that integrity.
    and those two aren't touched. They are the base camps of the two factions....
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-03-19 at 08:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a change the quote made me optimistic.
    If the quote is to be taken literally then it means that during the key engagement of 5.3 Varian and the combined Alliance forces will most likely stomp Garrosh. The Orcs will realise that Garrosh isn't as invincible as he claims and Vol'jin and Baine will most likely take the opportunity to spread the word that war is bad.

If the Alliance do beat them I might get a little giddy .

Hopefully this means the Alliance finally gets to curbstomp the Horde into a bloody pulp and the survivors beg for mercy, leading to them and the Alliance victors storming Orgrimmar. After the pro-Horde wankfest that was Cataclysm this is a most welcome change to see the Horde firmly planted in villain territory and getting the punishment they deserve for it.