Thread: Hyper Evo Fans

Deleted

Hyper Evo Fans

Hi guys,

Decided that I will be replacing my B75 and i3 2130 soon. Can get a decent price for it from a friend, and it'll allow me to do what I should've done in the first place. Get a 3570k, z77 and decent aftermarket cooler. At the moment, I'm looking at the hyper evo 212.

Installing it won't be an issue, but I've been reading quite conflicting messages when it comes to the fan(s) on the hyper evo. Would love for someone experienced with it to shed some light on it. The only thread easy to find on the subject here (without reading actual post contents for single replies containing info) is this one. Basically, the advice from Toffie's test is: don't bother changing it.

But... the fan that comes with it seems quite loud compared to different fans. (Comparison with the Nexus RS 120: Clicky - And versus the intel stock cooler Clicky2 - that guy cares a lot more about sound, seeing as this is his setup)

On to the burning question at hand: Is it worthwhile replacing the stock fan on the hyper evo with a moderate clock (4ghz - 4.5ghz), also taking sound levels into account? If so, is it worthwhile going for a push/pull config (2fans)?

I'm aware that if replacing the fans is recommended, it's also recommended to use two of the same fans for optimal use.

Thanks!

I don't feel like going for a corsair h100 or similar option, seeing as the most logical place for the radiator is currently occupied by fancy colorshift fans. (I know right, choosing lights over performance. Zomg.)

PS. The guy that made the video above has posted results of his idle/load temps being 2-5 degrees higher using nexus fans, but they're so silent that he feels it's worth it.
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-03-19 at 10:45 AM.

Well, when you take into consideration two good (and quiet) fans will run you around $15-20 a pop, and that the 212 Evo is at least $30... You may as well just drop the extra $10 or so for a Noctua D-14. Much better cooler with pretty much some of the best fans you can get included with it.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Price really isn't an issue for this, seeing as they're all dirt cheap. Buying some fans I don't mind doing either.

Does that Noctua simply perform better than the 212? I'd again have to replace the fans however, this time because the colors of noctua fans give me the feeling that.. I'm being stabbed in the eyes repeatedly.

Perhaps a Be Quiet! cooler would more fit your tastes? It's just a hair behind the D-14.

http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/309

And yeah, the more you spend on reputable brands, the better they perform. More surface area for heat dissipation, better materials for heat transfer, better engineering and better fans.
    Last edited by glo; 2013-03-19 at 11:22 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Friend just recently upgraded to a 3570K on a Z77 AsRock with a 212... He was using it with a single fan for a while and was talking about it one day so I gave him one of the fans that came with my H100 and he noticed about 3-5° difference at times.

As mentioned above however, if you plan on replacing the fans, you may as well go with a better cooler in general.

Deleted
    @Glo: That does look a lot better. I don't want to solely base it on looks however. Seeing as you stated it's only slightly worse than the Noctua, I'll definitely take that option into account. Would the fans on there require replacement? (I would assume they cool decently, but perhaps they're known to be extremely loud? )

@Googz: Did he have a decent OC running? If it's a 3-5 degree difference with a hefty OC, I guess it's hardly worthwhile unless temperatures are through the roof. As long as you don't peak in the high 60s 70s, I would guess it hardly makes a notable (performance) difference?

In general: I often see the hyper 212 recommended here. I figured that was because it's a real good cooler. Now, I'm starting to get the feeling that "It's a real good cooler for it's price segment". Would going with a Noctua or the BeQuiet listed above yield much better results than using the hyper per definition?

As you guys may have noticed, I'm not a newbie to building pc's, but am definitely a big newbie when it comes to CPU OC'ing.

Why don't you wait for Haswell? It is less than 3 months until release and there wont be much price difference.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the 212EVO running with it's stock cooler, got it running perfectly stable at 4.5GHz for 24/7 use. The temps while playing battlefield 3 hits around 60c, pretty good if you ask me.

Changing the fans on the cooler would not be worth it, then you might aswell go for the Noctua-D14 which should handle 4.8GHz.
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-03-20 at 07:47 AM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Why don't you wait for Haswell? It is less than 3 months until release and there wont be much price difference.
    From the articles that I've read it's interesting mostly for the mobile market. Lower power usage, better integrated graphics with the GT3, etcetera. Power doesn't interest me that much, and we all use dedicated graphics in our gaming rigs. Other than that, the tomshardware article that was posted here this week indicates about a 5-15% increase in performance in threaded workloads.

Is it really worth waiting for, for a dedicated gaming machine? (That's not rhetorical. Honest question.)

@Toffie: Thanks for the reply. I see you still have the same opinion you had back when the topic I linked was created. The feedback is much appreciated!

Edit.

At the moment, I'm sort of falling in love with the Be Quiet! one. Reviews seem mostly positive, performance should be great and it would look.. so much better than the noctua/hyper212 in my current case.
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-03-19 at 12:50 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    On Haswell
    From what i have seen about the 4770k Haswell, i am not very thrilled. Very minor gains compared to Ivy Bridge, so not worth the wait IMHO. What might make it worth to wait, is if the generation after Haswell (don't know the name right know) will work on the same socket/motherboards.

On Heatsinks
    - The stock fan on the 212 is fine, no need to replace it. Also a second, similar fan will get improved performance, but not that much compared to only one fan.
    - @googz: Well it's no wonder the Hyper 212 performed better with a second Corsair (H100) fan. Those fans are very powerful, but also very loud. I am dared to say, that the temp difference is not due to it being two fans, but just because the corsair fan is way stronger. I would bet, that the temps would be nearly the same if the corsair fan would run alone.
    - Like other people already stated, if you plan to add another fan to the 212, you might aswell just buy a better heatsink in the first place.

Just for comparison:
    Hyper 212 Evo - 35 €
    Scythe Mugen 3 - 46 €
    Be Quiet Shadow Rock Pro - 46 €
    Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced C1 - 57 €
    Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 - 75 €
    Noctua NH-D14 - 85 €

The Scythe Mugen 3 or the Be Quiet Shadow Rock Pro are essentially the same price as Hyper 212 + extra fan, so i would suggest one of these instead. (They should have the same are better performance).
    If you want to really go high-end, i would suggest the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2. From the tests i have read, it has about the same performance as the Noctua NH-D14, but is 10 € cheaper and looks way better.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    Thanks for your reply Biernot!

I'm going to look into the ones you linked. Although I have to admit, the idea of sticking the dark rock pro 2 in there is starting to grow on me by the minute.

I would consider a 5-15% increase in CPU performance and the upgraded motherboard chipset worth a 3 months wait. Keep in mind that these benchmarks were made with an early engineering sample that obviously had some issues with the memory controller/bandwidth.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Yeah, I've got a Hyper 212 Evo and the first thing I noticed when I turned my new PC on was that the fan were pretty loud, even in a noise dampening case. That was on full fan setting however, if you turn it down it's fine, not sure if you'd want to do that though, probably not. Can't give you much advice other than that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Yeah, I've got a Hyper 212 Evo and the first thing I noticed when I turned my new PC on was that the fan were pretty loud, even in a noise dampening case. That was on full fan setting however, if you turn it down it's fine, not sure if you'd want to do that though, probably not. Can't give you much advice other than that.
    Any self-respecting computer builder turns on temperature-controlled automatic fan speed in the bios. Setting a manual fan speed for the cpu is stupid, unless you know that you will never need more cooling power.
    If you ever get to a point, where the fan reaches max rpm due to it being needed, then you need a better heatsink anyway. (or cut back a bit on the overclocking)
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to clarify for the OP the hyper 212 handles moderate overclocks <= 4.5 which is more than or equivalent to what 95% of people will push and at the price its hard to argue with. The NH-D14, Silver arrow and h100i are in another league in terms of cooling however when people have a budget and want to push out every last bit of performance for their dollar it isn't worth telling them to drop an extra $60-$100 on a cpu cooler so they might get that extra 100mhz core clock.

The noctua fans might be ugly as sin (I don't think they are that bad but most can't stand them) however they are fairly well the undisputed best fans and those that use them wouldn't even blink at paying the price for more of them.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    I got the 212EVO running with it's stock cooler, got it running perfectly stable at 4.5GHz for 24/7 use. The temps while playing battlefield 3 hits around 60c, pretty good if you ask me.

Changing the fans on the cooler would not be worth it, then you might aswell go for the Noctua-D14 which should handle 4.8GHz.
    After playing with the voltage (1.240) I got the temparature down to 40-45c while gaming and 55-60 while prime95. I had the voltage on auto before, so my motherboard bumped it higher than it should.

Not sure if I won the silicon lottery, but I honestly love this cooler.

Will try 4.8GHz later and see what happens.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    I would consider a 5-15% increase in CPU performance and the upgraded motherboard chipset worth a 3 months wait. Keep in mind that these benchmarks were made with an early engineering sample that obviously had some issues with the memory controller/bandwidth.
    I might be completely in the wrong here, but wasn't the keyword there that it's that listed increase in a threaded environment? Am I wrong in thinking that WoW doesn't utilize that to the best of possible capabilities?

@ The rest: You guys are making this descision even tougher! Haha.. what to get, what to get. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    I might be completely in the wrong here, but wasn't the keyword there that it's that listed increase in a threaded environment? Am I wrong in thinking that WoW doesn't utilize that to the best of possible capabilities?

@ The rest: You guys are making this descision even tougher! Haha.. what to get, what to get. Hmmm...
    I'm with n0cturnal... within the next month and a half to 2 months we should start seeing more info on the Haswell lineup. We've yet to see numbers on the I5 line. I would at least wait to see some more results unless you're pressed to upgrade now.