Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Healing Tortos 25 man as a Holy Pally

Background:
    Our guild has been wiping on Tortos for the past week.

During light damage periods where no bats are out, i'm spamming holy lights / holy shocks and trying to build up a 5 HP EF to drop on the MT before quake. After quake i'm popping aura mastery when it's up. When the bats come out i'm finding i need to switch to DL's and occasionally FoL's to keep the OT up. Also been putting HoS on the OT during bats and dropping a hammer on top of me and OT.

Problem
    The healing simply feels unmanageable at the moment. I've looked at logs where pallies have done well in this fight, and EF / holy shock are up in their top 3 heals cast AND the dps is extremely high (all 110k+). The problem for me is i can't do that because i lack the T14 4 piece bonus which reduces the CD on holy shocks from 6 to 4 seconds. Combined with the fact i have to be mobile while healing the OT to dodge rockfall etc - it is difficult to maintain throughput.

Having said that, our dps is also a concern. About half our raid is below 100k and last week we were running heavy on melee so i'm wondering if part of the reason i'm having so much trouble is our dps is taking too long to get the shells & bats under control, causing a downward spiral.

Wanted to throw this out there to see what people think - Any advice?
    Last edited by oavil; 2013-03-22 at 06:36 PM.

Deleted
    Iv noticed that our holy pal is seriously low on healing on this fight aswell... bad fight for holypals? He is probably down at like half the healing of anyone else.

Deleted
    Have your healers and range split equally either side of the room and spread out, a lot of unnecessary damage comes from rockfalls, these hurt when you directly get hit by them but also do some damage if you are near to the drop zone as well.

Have melee positioned underneath the bosses right foot and the tank the other side. The bat tank will want to collect the bats and put them onto where the melee are.

For the stomp try and organise healing cd's. a tip is to have your druid Symb a shaman and use tranq with spiritwalkers grace, you can also bubble a healer which will prevent the stomp stunning them and allowing them to heal through it. BUT the bubble doesnt prevent rock fall damage so make sure that healer keeps dodging the rockfalls.

Have someone mark a turtle ASAP when they pop, 1 has to be killed very quickly and ideally only to be done by the range, assign 1 person and 1 backup to deal with the turtle kicking.

Prio - Turtles > Bats > Boss

TIP: If the bats are up and the boss is about to stone breath, make sure your kicker aims the turtle for the bosses Right foot, that way it will go through the bats as well and they will incur the 25% increased damage taken debuff.

The fight seems hectic at first, but once your dps gets there dps prio sorted the boss will seem much simpler.

GL

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadde111 View Post
    Iv noticed that our holy pal is seriously low on healing on this fight aswell... bad fight for holypals? He is probably down at like half the healing of anyone else.
    I've noticed the same in most logs too, with some exceptions. Seems like druids / priests would excel on this fight.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2013-03-18 at 10:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sexfacejonny View Post
    Have your healers and range split equally either side of the room and spread out, a lot of unnecessary damage comes from rockfalls, these hurt when you directly get hit by them but also do some damage if you are near to the drop zone as well.

Have melee positioned underneath the bosses right foot and the tank the other side. The bat tank will want to collect the bats and put them onto where the melee are.

For the stomp try and organise healing cd's. a tip is to have your druid Symb a shaman and use tranq with spiritwalkers grace, you can also bubble a healer which will prevent the stomp stunning them and allowing them to heal through it. BUT the bubble doesnt prevent rock fall damage so make sure that healer keeps dodging the rockfalls.

Have someone mark a turtle ASAP when they pop, 1 has to be killed very quickly and ideally only to be done by the range, assign 1 person and 1 backup to deal with the turtle kicking.

Prio - Turtles > Bats > Boss

TIP: If the bats are up and the boss is about to stone breath, make sure your kicker aims the turtle for the bosses Right foot, that way it will go through the bats as well and they will incur the 25% increased damage taken debuff.

The fight seems hectic at first, but once your dps gets there dps prio sorted the boss will seem much simpler.

GL

Yeah - we have a druid gap in our raid comp at the moment. Ugh. Otherwise we are already doing most of what you suggest here, although i still suspect our bat/turtle execution is lacking.
    Last edited by oavil; 2013-03-18 at 03:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oavil View Post
    I've noticed the same in most logs too, with some exceptions. Seems like druids / priests would excel on this fight.[COLOR="red"]
    Just checked world of logs thought and it shows they they're doing pretty well after all - disc priest dominating that fight but there is some mist monks and holy palls among them - no resto sham or druids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oavil View Post

---------- Post added 2013-03-18 at 10:26 AM ----------

Yeah - we have a druid gap in our raid comp at the moment. Ugh. Otherwise we are already doing most of what you suggest here, although i still suspect our bat/turtle execution is lacking.

Practice makes perfect, just keep doing what you are doing and it should come then, its the hardest boss for the first 5 in TOT so keep at it.

Holy paladins are not good dedicated tank healers in MoP. We're good at indirectly healing the tank through beacon, while raid healing, but very weak at focusing on tanks specifically. It's not surprising that you do poorly, if that is what you are doing. I tend to be the top tank healer during most fights, but I very rarely heal the tank directly (except to get the EF hot on him), unless I believe that he would die unless I heal him or there's nobody else to heal - the vast majority of my tank healing is through beacon.

Maybe you should get sacred shield for dedicated tank healing (not sure since I never do that), since you probably won't be generating enough HP to make EF worth it if you're casting spells like holy light instead of HP generators, and since you lack the t14 4p, and you'd be overwriting your hot anyway, but I would recommend that you instead ask never to be assigned as a dedicated tank healer, especially in 25m. Your strengths really lie in the ability to do massive raid healing while also doing a not-insignificant amount of tank healing through beacon without any additional effort.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Make sure everyone in your raid is popping a personal defensive CD / healthstone if you don't have a raid CD up for that Quake Stomp. Going into the Rockfall at 80% health as opposed to 30% health makes a huge difference.

Also, use the extra turtles to debuff the bats and have your DPS burst down the bats before a Quake Stomp. No bats up during Quake Stomp = bat tank won't get insta-gibbed by the bats.

I heal 10man, so take this with a grain of salt, but here goes anyway. I pop HA within 5-10 sec of the boss being pulled, and I then holy shock, EF, CS, EF, HS, EF so forth and so on, the goal is to get at least 8-10 people with a 3 hpower EF on them before the quake hits, you get huge raid wide absorbs from your mastery shield that way as well. Im BoP'ing or Divine Shielding myself just before almost every single quake so I can cast through the stun and pop emergency heals off for the initial burst damage. Also, while lights hammer might still be good for 25m, ive switched to holy prism for almost every fight, it really shines on tortos because you can use it on your 1st global after every single quake and its good burst healing for almost no mana cost. I just cant see light hammer being even close to viable on this fight b/c no one can stack up during the intense raid dmg. Again I'm focused on hotting everyone before the big dmg hits and abusing our mastery. I pop some sort of throughput cd for every single quake and another thing that may help you is standing right next to one of the boss's legs and you can run under and through the boss a bit to avoid shit and find a free spot to stand just long enough to get a cast off. If you can include a link to logs I can prolly give a bit more specific advice. Here's our logs if you want to compare http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=9430#Pvpimpin