Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Not all the time, you have people who knew it was wrong to kill so and so, but because their imaginary buddy said they must, they did.
    That's called hallucinations, a symptom of many things such as schizophrenia; a disorder which does affect one's ability to tell fantasy from reality and right from wrong.

A characteristic of sociopathy is the ability to tell the consequences of one's actions, but to ignore them. This is exactly why he is sent to prison. He knew exactly what he was doing when he executed those three boys, the same way he chose to taunt their families in court. This fucker deserves absolutely no sympathy.

A ruling that a person is mentally competent doesn't mean the person is perfectly balanced. Loosely, it means they understand what they did, and what the legal proceedings mean. It is a ruling on the defendant's current mental capabilities, at the time of legal proceedings, and is different than pleading insane, which addresses the mental state of the defendant at the time of the crime.

Lane did not plead insane (which cannot be forced on a defendant in the US), he plead guilty. Three life sentences is not "a bit much" for a person who has no qualms about using violence for kicks. Prison can serve a number of functions, and in this case its function is "keeping a violent individual from killing other people".

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Yes, but remember he is to be there FOR LIFE, unless they are going to kill him, he will be a danger to others.
    Yes, it is quite possible they will kill him. What you don't think about is the guys that are in there that have kids the age of the teens that this monster murdered. There is a way of it getting around.

It is on the same level as child molesters. A lot of them get f'd up in prison because of the type of crime they did.

Not to mention the fact that he is so young... Someone will surely make quite the "friend" out of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    That's called hallucinations, a symptom of many things such as schizophrenia; a disorder which does affect one's ability to tell fantasy from reality and right from wrong.

A characteristic of sociopathy is the ability to tell the consequences of one's actions, but to ignore them. This is exactly why he is sent to prison. He knew exactly what he was doing when he executed those three boys, the same way he chose to taunt their families in court. This fucker deserves absolutely no sympathy.
    This boy does indeed have hallucinations.

despite evidence that he suffers from hallucinations, psychosis and fantasies

That's funny, I don't see that being argued in court. As far as the law is concerned, there is jack shit for evidence. He was ruled competent, he pleaded guilty; end of discussion. Maybe you should stop making excuses for a convicted murderer, it's quite unbecoming.

That's funny, I don't see that being argued in court. As far as the law is concerned, there is jack shit for evidence. He was ruled competent, he pleaded guilty; end of discussion. Maybe you should stop making excuses for a convicted murderer, it's quite unbecoming.
    Exactly what is your issue? You are terribly rude. There was evidence of those issues, they just still found him competent since he understood what he did. What excuses am I making?

I wouldn't let this fucker sit in a prison cell for the rest of his natural life and suck up tax dollars, I'd be putting the axe to his head.
    Capital cases are more expensive to the state than life imprisonment.

Everyone has hallucinations, nearly every day. The most common being dreams, but also during hypnagogic and the hypnopompic states. Or from drugs or meditative trances. And not a few people think some of those hallucinations are real, such as a dream being interpreted as a vision from one god or another. Or that seeing and hearing unusual things in a hypnagogic state is a ghost.

If you perceive a talking dog telling you to go shoot someone, you can still decide not to do what the dog says. You might even think, "it seems unusual that a dog is speaking to me, perhaps I should see a psychiatrist, just to make sure. Because if anyone would know a good test to see if a dog can talk or if I am suffering a mental illness, it would be a psychiatrist. Also, if the dog -is- talking, it's going to need some antipsychotic medicine, and the psychiatrist might be able to help me out with that."
    Last edited by Gwiez; 2013-03-19 at 09:14 PM. Reason: grammar

I don't get people who want a criminal to suffer, by killing them. That's the easy way out for the criminal. If you actually just want the criminal to suffer, you'd want to use torture.

Speaking hypothetically here.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Mental hospitals are only used when the defendant couldn't tell the difference between right and wrong. This is Criminal Law 101.
    Do you really think law matters here? We're talking about changing the law to actually reflect what Themius, me and quite a lot of other people (more so Europeans) believe.

This fucker deserves absolutely no sympathy.
    Or if you realize that he acted the way he did because nature made him such you realize that he does deserve sympathy. Like any other evil human being, exactly because they were unlucky enough to have been made such by nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I don't get people who want a criminal to suffer, by killing them. That's the easy way out for the criminal. If you actually just want the criminal to suffer, you'd want to use torture.

Speaking hypothetically here.
    That's what one of the victims' family wants. "A slow, torturous death." apparently. I'm in no doubt quite a lot of people here think the same.

Sorry, even if it was treatable, the level of their depravity requires they never be allowed access to the public again for the rest of their lives as a relapse would have terrible consequences.

I feel strongly for the mentally ill, and believe society should do all that we can to help them and treat them, but not everyone can be saved from themselves, and if they are a danger they need to be locked up for their protection and ours. Maybe prison isn't the best venue, but I don't see how their can be a different outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    "The hand that pulls the trigger that killed your sons now masturbates to the memory. Fuck all of you."

That might be the most fucked up thing I've read in a while.

I'm not sure how anyone could view his sentencing as too much.
    lol well atleast he owned up to it unlike that dude James Holmes in Colorado. if you are going to be batshit crazy might as well do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    Why does he deserve sympathy, if I may ask? He's an abomination, a monster. Why should he deserve sympathy?
    I can't help but feel sorry for a person who was born a sociopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    Give him your sympathy all you want. Offer him a hand and he'll tear off your arm.
    How would that come about? Really do people believe having sympathy means you want to be soft?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Not enough IMO. Death Penalty for sure only option here. I cant believe people actually think that if he could be "Cured" he could be released? How is that even an option?
    Executing people isn't a power a government should have.

I can't help but feel sorry for a person who was born a sociopath.
    You can feed that shit to someone else, I don't believe people are born socipaths. I believe people become sociopaths through how they are raised, and their own personal experiences.

He will hang up once in prison. The constant threat of rape even in pc (where most Pedos are), violence if he says the wrong thing, and general harassment by people he is powerless to stop will wear his weak mind out. They will eventually find him swinging from pants or a sheet.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just hop from one line of nonsense to the next, without answering for your previous fallacies. You make something up, then someone demonstrates that you were wrong, and instead of answering for it - you know, explaining why you said what you said, or acknowledging that you were caught lying - you just attack the next thing. You move from one post to another, without answering for your own behaviour.

I find it incredibly ironic that you would therefore post this:

Not because you're wrong, mind you - but because you are guilty of the same thing.

Since you have freely admitted your own mental illness(es) in previous threads, and since you do the exact same thing as the individual in question, I ask you this: Are you also a 'fucker' who 'deserves absolutely no sympathy'?

Deleted
    The dude flipped off the victim's families in open court while wearing a T-shirt with "KILLER" on it. He deserves life.

He then laughed when the prosecutor referred to him as an "evil person". This is full-blown sociopathy.
    I'm not sure that someone who does that can really be classed as sane. I mean, thats so far outside what is considered "normal" behaviour, I dont think he can possibly be capable of normal thought.

I think a medical institution (probably for life) would be more appropriate than jail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    You can feed that shit to someone else, I don't believe people are born socipaths. I believe people become sociopaths through how they are raised, and their own personal experiences.
    Correct. Those who are 'born' with anti-social personality disorder(s) are referred to as psychopaths.

Sociopathy indicates an external cause, where as psychopathy indicates a physiological/neurological one.
    (Though the two can, and often do, coexist.)

10+ Year Old Account
    How would that come about? Really do people believe having sympathy means you want to be soft?
    So what do you suggest then? You have sat here and questioned everyone else's reasoning for the actions they demand. What do you suggest be done with this man?

Would you like him to sit in a mental institution for life?

Sit behind bars for life?

Be treated and once deemed suitable for society, released back to the masses. (Memories don't just fade away, he'll need a whole new identity. or he will more than likely be killed in the streets.)

Would you want to be the doctor who signs his release forms, only to have the minimally effective treatments, not work well at all? Have another 3 teens killed? Maybe even more?

I'm all for giving people a second chance, I don't wish him to be executed or turned into a vegetable, but what do you suggest be done?