Heroic Horridon Suggestions?

My guild spent about 2 nights last week working on H Horridon, and are going back at it tonight. Does anyone have any rogue-specific suggestions for this fight? My DPS isn't really that bad, but the fight just seems so.... awkward...?

I tried going combat for a while, for the cleave, but the time spent cleaving 4-5 targets seemed pretty low, and it was reflected in my DPS. I switched to assassination, and my DPS got a lot better, however my Horridon DPS carried me. I would DPS him on gate transitions (obviously) and also through the first "wave" of adds at each gate, since only 2 drop and they die really quickly. (Except on poison gate, I'd help focus down the priestess to avoid effusion). AT the next wave of adds, I'd pick the highest priority target (usually with highest health) and focus them, building combo points with FoK if a decent number of adds were alive and clumped up.

This fight just seems SO AWKWARD. Between trying to find (and keep in melee range of) my target in a pile of stuff, to trying not to get 1-shot with stepping into a sand trap on first gate (if in combo with the seemingly continuous blazing light damage, holy crap), to chasing after the tank on the third gate (frozen orbs, yay!), I just find myself wanting to pull my hair out. Does anyone else hate this fight as a rogue? Or maybe just melee in general?

I think I might just sub myself out for a ranged!

maybe try out ST for such situations ? if you have to run from stuff just use ST and everything will be fine while you run ^^ i dont like this fight either but oh well
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

25 or 10?
    Anyway, adds are not your concern there, "assassination cleave" works pretty ok there, but interrupts (dinimancers, venom-priests, flamecasters, shamans) are more important, focus on dinomancers more (they shouldn't start 2nd channeling).

Smoke bomb is very useful on bestial cry, make macro for casting throw on direhorn spirit (just in case) and proper rotation on horridon after war-god is dead = profit.

P.S. ST and MfD is not an option on HC (imo).

Thanks for the responses!

It's 10-man. We did better tonight, but still sort of sloppy on some gates--but I'm doing well on interrupts! Still feels awkward but I think it's just the fight.

Can we just turn this into an "I Hate Horridon" thread? Seriously, my least favorite fight as a rogue since... heroic hagara? At least I got to run around in a circle there though, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayanne View Post
    Can we just turn this into an "I Hate Horridon" thread? Seriously, my least favorite fight as a rogue since... heroic hagara? At least I got to run around in a circle there though, I guess.
    Being melee on this fight is as bad as being a caster on the spider trash and getting LoS issues followed by burrowing issues, except no one cares how you perform on trash. It sucks playing melee for so many fights that are being generated, since either only ranged can handle certain mechanics, or mechanics disproportionately favor being ranged (reduced damage taken or easier evasion). Honestly, while these mechanics are far more interesting than what I remember from ICC, I'm waiting for the next call of "YOUR PRECIOUS MAGIC BETRAAAAAYS YOU" in order to do something to disadvantage ranged over melee.

On the actual tips side: are you using MfD to get extra ruptures/energy/DPS out there? Don't forget it resets every time the target you used it on dies, so you can pop rupture on a mini, get poison up, DPS an important target, have all your energy refunded, burn that out, MfD, envenom, watch that die, and MfD a new rupture onto a small and soon-to-die target. It can add up to a LOT of extra CP used on this particular encounter. Not sure what about the little pink dinosaur might stop you from doing this, however, since I'm not there personally.

You need to push as much dps as possible in the last phase. Enrage is really tight and 1st kill sometimes comes after enrage (before next dire call).

MfD is not that big of a dps loss on single target, its hard to quantify exactly since non-anticipation rotations haven't been examined in much depth but its probably 2% dps loss at most and and more like 1% if played correctly (admitedly a bit strange feeling after getting used to anticipation). I'd definitely use MfD on heroic horridon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    I'm waiting for the next call of "YOUR PRECIOUS MAGIC BETRAAAAAYS YOU" in order to do something to disadvantage ranged over melee.
    Melees had their troubles too with the stacking debuff you got when you hit her forcing you to stop attacking after X stacks if CoS was on CD and don't forget the massive aoe forcing you to run on stairs away from her...

The advantages of being a Rogue on Horridon:

Feint and Cloak as a way of mitigating Frost Bombs on 3rd wall
    Feint and Cloak as a way of mitigating Sand Traps on 1st wall
    Feint as a way of mitigating War-God's AoE
    High sustained-target damage (good for the longer-surviving adds on each wall, great for Horridon)
    Good burst when it's needed (separate Vendetta and SB from the start, use them both on high-health adds)

Since I haven't actually seen the fight in question, I'd recommend Mugajak's suggestion of using MfD and using it in that way. This fight is basically the reason MfD is there (for now).
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    Being melee on this fight is as bad as being a caster on the spider trash and getting LoS issues followed by burrowing issues, except no one cares how you perform on trash. It sucks playing melee for so many fights that are being generated, since either only ranged can handle certain mechanics, or mechanics disproportionately favor being ranged (reduced damage taken or easier evasion). Honestly, while these mechanics are far more interesting than what I remember from ICC, I'm waiting for the next call of "YOUR PRECIOUS MAGIC BETRAAAAAYS YOU" in order to do something to disadvantage ranged over melee.

On the actual tips side: are you using MfD to get extra ruptures/energy/DPS out there? Don't forget it resets every time the target you used it on dies, so you can pop rupture on a mini, get poison up, DPS an important target, have all your energy refunded, burn that out, MfD, envenom, watch that die, and MfD a new rupture onto a small and soon-to-die target. It can add up to a LOT of extra CP used on this particular encounter. Not sure what about the little pink dinosaur might stop you from doing this, however, since I'm not there personally.
    I havent tried MfD because honestly I thought the adds weren't dying fast enough to warrant it, but I honestly am not "comfortable" with the ability yet, and the way you suggest using it makes a lot more sense than whatever I had going on on my head.

One benefit to melee on this encounter is that you dont really actually get the pink dinosaur--until maybe the very end? I know the healers dont get it until the last gate, and we have gotten to the final burn on Horridon and I still hadn't gotten it yet. Honestly, I hear the ranged complaining about the pink dino (I guess it's still kind of buggy, it'll go evade bug sometimes and also will attack other players which is a funny one-shot death), and it makes me sigh because I would gladly trade dealing with that mechanic.

The fight seems more about add control than just balls-out AOE, so as suggested above, last night I just kind of took on the mindset that I was going to burn the things that needed to die down as fast as I possibly could, and interrupt anything I could. Rogue damage on this fight ends up not looking too bad, but it's really padded (everyone's is) by the damage to Horridon either by cleaving or during the gate transitions. It's one where you have to go do the targetName != Horridon in World of Logs to see what's really going on.

p.s. F this fight. Although absolutely dominating on the first boss sort of makes Horridon not as bad... but not really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Melees had their troubles too with the stacking debuff you got when you hit her forcing you to stop attacking after X stacks if CoS was on CD and don't forget the massive aoe forcing you to run on stairs away from her...
    Oh, I remember, and I loved my cloak button. I just mean that it's old having melee affected by 99% of what hits ranged, and not the same distribution in reverse. More interesting mechanics uuuusually means melee have a harder time with movement/staying in range (without dying) than ranged do, and this is still the case.

Glad my comments on MfD on this could open some thoughts ^_^. I do think, that unless it's a HUGE loss, the gain in p1 should outweigh any p2 loss - even if it were greater than 2-3% at that time, you should gather significantly more time on-boss in phase 1 as a result of the add-damage gain.

Run MfD on little adds and Rupture everything. Kick everything. Use Cloak a lot. I also specced Elusiveness and ran Crip; there's a lot of stuff you can Feint on this fight and Crip is helpful. I was also in charge of channeling orbs since I was in melee range anyways. Use CDs on Horridon between gates.

For the final phase when you will get a Direhorn Spirit fixate, make sure you are at max melee range (the dinos spawn in the middle of the boss and can immediately 1shot you). I used this macro to knock it back:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cleartarget
    /tar Direhorn Spirit
    /cast Throw
    /targetlasttarget
    /startattack
    You can knock it back with FoK too, but I found that was a bigger DPS loss than losing a second of uptime with Throw.

I ran the Smoke Bomb glyph too and just used it as a tank CD.

I died a lot on our early attempts, but once you get more experience with the fight, surviving shouldn't be an issue. On the 4th door, I spent a lot of time on Horridon instead of the adds because the cleave and totems and curse and flamecasters were just too much to get any real uptime once everything was out. Damage on Horridon is always helpful as long as the adds die in time anyways.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2013-03-20 at 07:58 PM.