Deleted

FPS problems in 25 man raids

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to say that I know what you might think when you read the title of this thread. "just google it", "1000 other people already asked this, just install a new driver" etc. Well, I tried out basically everything I found on the first couple of pages google gave me and nothing worked.

My problem is, that I am raiding on a good notebook and still I have fps problems in a lot of fights, going as far as me having a frozen screen for a couple of secs. First of all My system:

Lenovo Ideapad
    Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GH (Quadcore)
    8gb DDR
    Windows 8 64bit
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    around 30GB of SSD on my hard drive
    Direct-X 11 with newest grafic card driver

My ingame settings:
    Grafics set to "good"
    Multisampling: 1x
    Vertical sync disabled
    shadows disabled
    sunlight disabled
    direct-X 11 enabled
    foreground fps 200
    background fps disabled
    highest resolution

So with these settings and the above listed computer setup I just dont see how my fps can be that bad. I am seeing streams of players regularly where they play on ultra and dont have any fps drops at all (25 man of course, 10man is fine for me). I would appreciate very much if there are some people out there that are into all the computer and graphics things a bit more who would help me out. I would also gladly talk in ts, vent or whatever to fnd a solution together.

I really hope that help can be found, you are my last hope MMOC!!!

regards,

Dennis

There was a reddit post detailing some 'lower than low' settings that you can do through module commands. Have a search around the WoW subreddit on Reddit!

I had a similar problem but it was with fraps when I start recording I get huge drop in fps ( 80 to 10 ) and the game start to tear ..

I tried to play it with low and the tear still there but when I used the wow 32-bit client the fps was constant at 60 ..

there is a computer help section on the forum. ask a mod to move it. and Intel HD Graphics 4000 is probebly killing you

You didn't say anything about the internet connection you're using or if this is with any addons.

Deleted
    That's your CPU. A dual core 1.7ghz cpu will definitely have a hard time in environments with a lot of people around you.

Also, the integrated intel 4000 doesn't help you in the slightest bit either.

Out of curiosity, what resolution are u running the game on? Also, what's the exact model number for your laptop?

I'm hoping that there's a dedicated graphics card that you're not using atm. Will know when I know what model number your laptop is

If you need further help, shoot me a PM or ask a mod to move this to the computer section in the offtopic forums.
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-03-20 at 09:57 AM.

I would like to recommend you to clean your laptop from dust.. Go to laptop service and tell them to clean dust inside.. I had same problem with both PC and laptop and problem got solved after dust clearing. I dont know for how long you have that laptop but it could be the case. Also i hope you dont play WoW from your lap or from bed cause its not recommended for laptops because dust and overheating..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 is probebly killing you
    It got very good evaluations. I dont see where this could be a problem. Can you detail it out a bit?

You didn't say anything about the internet connection you're using or if this is with any addons
    Connection doesnt have anything to do with fps I guess!? I am using tidy plates, bartender, ark inventory, weak auras and fortexorcist in raids.

That's your CPU. A dual core 1.7ghz cpu will definitely have a hard time in environments with a lot of people around you.
    Its a quadcore, as I said above.

Out of curiosity, what resolution are u running the game on? Also, what's the exact model number for your laptop?
    resolution is 1366x768 (wide). I think It goes up though when I plug it into my flatscreen for raiding (to sth around 1600x...). How can I find out about the model number? All i can find is the systmmodell in dxdiag. "its 4941" edit: I found the serial number if thats what you need: CB19688172

I would like to recommend you to clean your laptop from dust.. Go to laptop service and tell them to clean dust inside.. I had same problem with both PC and laptop and problem got solved after dust clearing. I dont know for how long you have that laptop but it could be the case. Also i hope you dont play WoW from your lap or from bed cause its not recommended for laptops because dust and overheating..
    I have it since christmas, so dust shouldnt be a problem. I put it on a table when I raid.

there is a computer help section on the forum. ask a mod to move it.
    Sorry, I missed that. How exactly can I refer to a mod? is it enough to post it here? If so "Please move!"
    Last edited by mmocf4dad66cad; 2013-03-20 at 10:58 AM.

Deleted
    The integrated graphics card won't be able to handle 25 man raiding all that well (c.f. these benchmarks). I have experience with using the HD 3000 under Mac OS X at a similar resolution to your laptop's screen (though lower than your external monitor) and it can often struggle with 25 man content at medium settings. I particularly remember blips on Ultraxion which is the last time I used the computer for 25 man raiding - I can only imagine things would be more taxing in MoP.

Your CPU should be fine for WoW though might be having problems with changing to a more power conservative profile - make sure you aren't running anything like this. Other than that, parsing a large amount of data through addons could be problematic in a 25 man raiding setting. If you are using Recount or Skada, you could try disabling those.

Also, your CPU is not quad core. Instead, it is a dual core with the possibility to either hyperthread (and thus appear to be four core) or turboboost to a higher clock speed.

Your issues are likely and unfortunately a combination of the CPU and GPU together. People streaming on Ultra settings are certainly not doing so over an HD4000.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaendwich View Post
    Its a quadcore, as I said above
    I'm fairly sure WoW only runs on two cores; aka half your CPU remains unused, and so it would seam that 1.7ghz quad is relatively weak. Plus your CPU is hyperthreaded, so it doesn't really have four cores.

Also it's been said a lot, but integrated graphics won't be able to handle this tier of WoW raiding - if you wanna play WoW in 25 mans, it's advisable you don't play on a laptop.

biggest problem is your graphics card, or the lack of it

I wouldn't necessarily listen to all the people posting suggestions. Honestly, I think Blizz did something with this new patch. For my personally, in DS and such I ran my comp on ultra settings across the board with 0 lag or FPS drops ever. When they released MoP though I get lag spikes quite frequently. For example, there was a time at the start of MoP where using treants on my druid would lock my computer for about 3 seconds. This happened to EVERY druid I talked too so it wasn't me. Now, my settings are on mid level and I still get freezes/etc during certain things. For example going back and 8 manning a 25 man raid like four winds, etc, my computer was regularly freezing for the entire fight. I have a custom built PC, it's not my computer. I believe this is something on Blizz's end but I'm not sure what. Another example is during Sha, when the fight would start I would be fine for the first 15 seconds until I used all my CDs, then my computer would freeze for about 10 seconds and then I would be fine for the rest of the fight. This only occurred when playing balance by the way, when I healed it I never had a problem. So please explain that one to me.

Deleted
    My problem is, that I am raiding on a good notebook
    That's not a good notebook, not even close, sorry to break it to you.

Deleted
    no dedicated gpu, wow being cpu intensive and you are actually running cpu resources to be used for the graphic part which isn't doable for decent performance.
    notebook cpu's are also less powerfull compared to desktop ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Insarius View Post
    That's not a good notebook, not even close, sorry to break it to you.
    It's a bit blunt, but it is the basic conclusion. It's a great laptop, just not with gaming in mind. As was said before, your CPU is a dual core (with hyperthreading, giving it two extra virtual cores, but wow doesn't use those) and the integrated graphics are a bit below par for wow in general.

@NightZero: Specs of your setup? Blizzard 'ups the requirements' with every patch release, since they always try to make the game look and perform better. That comes with a price, hardware-wise. Also, I find it very hard to believe there's bugs big enough that affect the entire druid class. Those type of bugs rarely make it onto the PTR, let alone the live servers. (Bugs that make the game freeze up, that is.)

Try ThrottleStop. You can force your CPU to run in Turbo Mode all the time during CPU intensive tasks, but monitor its temperature as well if you plan to use it. You don't want to make it run too hot.
    The CPU is a dual core, the other 2 threads are from hyperthreading which are nowhere close in performance to actually having 2 extra cores.
    Last edited by stalkerzzzz; 2013-03-20 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    @NightZero: Specs of your setup? Blizzard 'ups the requirements' with every patch release, since they always try to make the game look and perform better. That comes with a price, hardware-wise. Also, I find it very hard to believe there's bugs big enough that affect the entire druid class. Those type of bugs rarely make it onto the PTR, let alone the live servers. (Bugs that make the game freeze up, that is.)
    Custom built PC (not by me but a website). I don't have the card off the top of my head but it's an I7 dual core, 6 gb ram, win 7. I can get the exact specs when I go home as I'm at work. I highly doubt that the minor bump in system specs would cause me to go from running the game on ultra with no lag at all to having to drop down to medium specs and getting screen freezes/dropping of FPS to like 5 in certain instances. I also see a lot more people complaining about lag in LFR and the like now than ever before at the same times I get it.

In regards to the treant bug, you may find it hard to believe but it certainly was there. I don't know if it still happens because I switched off the talent fairly quick and have never used them but every druid I talked to had the same issue. As soon as you summoned them you had like a 2-3 second freeze then it was fine. This was in any spec.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65707

^^^ That is what is running WoW for you. Your CPU is also your "GPU" and everything you're doing in wow is going through that one 1.7ghz dual core CPU. Only recommendation I can make is to turn down every single graphic setting possible and even then during fights like elegon you're not going to see very good results.

Try running WoW on a lower resolution. 1024*768 for example should be playable with those specs on low settings in 25 man raids. For anything other than low you need a laptop with a discrete graphics card.