Weak Aura or Addon for When to AMS?

Hey guys,

I see threads all the time for Tips and Tricks for AMS and lately I've been busy and having a hard time keeping up with all of the nuances for the encounters. With that in mind I was wondering, being that we need to take every bit of use out of AMS as we can given the sims, is there anyway to have WeakAura pop up and tell you when your taking Magic Dmg? Or is their another addon that could tell us this....Letting us know if we didn't know, or weren't paying attention that there is an opportunity for free Runic Power? Thanks!

Proklus

learn what type of damage the abilities do... how is someone this lazy that they want an aura for it

There isn't an addon that I know of besides combat text addons like MSBT. I would just focus on whether or not you are: A. AMS is off CD and B. If you are taking damage.

But it is worth noting that part of being a good raider is knowing the fight mechanics and what abilities deal what damage. Especially as a DK who may have to AMZ a specific mechanic.

Well, here you say "lazy"...I'm not taking offense but want to point out my perspective. I constantly rank in the 80th percentile using Epeen Bots and I typically go through a hell of a lot of trouble using Simulationcraft, EJ Threads, RaidBots, AskMrRobot, and posting here to improve my performance. At the moment now my guild is taking on Quilon I believe is the name and I'm competing with people simming 10-18k above...

On top of all this though I maintain a very competitive GPAs to get into Philosophy Graduate School, 190 avg bowler, and working 30hrs a week...It's not really being lazy, it just you guys know if your a competitive SoB in everything you do it's easy to get "too involved" or "run out of time" in one area or another. I know what I really need to do is basically watch every video and write down every phase and *Star Abilities* I can use AMS On...this would be perfect world...I'm able to sort of "wing it" and do really damn well at the moment because I've raided forever...yet I always want to do more than "better than average"

Yet...I find I typically don't need to look at DBM or any of this to get through an encounter and do it really well especially as melee. I just find it rather unBlizzard like for you to have to actually go outside of the game mechanics or what's on screen to really know if an ability is worth using or not. It Absorbs magical damage. I figure there should be some sort of visual or indicator that this is magical. Perhaps even colors associated with "types of damage" physical magical poison etc.

^Iono I don't want to start a philosophical debate...just admitting that I do try to etch out every damn bit of performance I can...it's not a lazy thing...I don't want a CLC DK ROFL, just being realistic with where I am in life atm and how much I can literally min/max the fuck out of stuff currently. Issue came up for me when I've used AMS just when I "thought" would be a great time...paid off big time...but pisses you off when you use it and you get nothing...

Deleted
    As the above people have said... It's more beneficial knowing the actual mechanics of the fight and what sort of damage is being inflicted... Some times you might assume an ability is physical (like I did with rockfall on Tortos) when it actually turns out not to be. Helps to look at logs and the dungeon journal but I'm not sure what else can be done other than encounter experience :-(

The main problem is, by the time you've taken damage it's too late to use AMS so there won't be an addon that can help you. If you had any coding skills/patience then I suppose you could alter some of the DBM files (that tell you when you're standing in an ability or it's about to happen) to remind you it's AMSable.
    Last edited by mmoc0cdb03e806; 2013-03-20 at 08:51 AM.

Whelp, no worries and if this is the function/game design/intent of developers of the ability then no problem. I do find it annoying if they decided to "balance" us around knowing it...but it is what it is. Might be nice for DBM to let you say "highlight" the count down bar of any ability that contains "magical damage" though. I definitely don't need something to tell me "GET OUT OF THE FIRE" lol, but yeah nice to remind you oh yeah here comes an ability AMS can rape on.

Just admitting to myself I could get better with AMS and or Dark Simul, thinking of ways to do so...But again, might be no easy way out...be like going to the gym Gotta do Legs (Squats) if you wanna get Big...sucks but perhaps if you wanna rank 90 percentile gotta go write down shit and spend time with logs. Just checking for a shortcut

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 05:12 AM ----------

Oh Vmagik, thanks for the DKDots addon. Not Unholy atm, but did download it it looks interesting. I used to, on my Lock, for say something like Bane of Doom use TinyCasterStats see when i had the most Spellpower and I sort of remember what my last Snapshot was, dot ticked every 15secs. I would get a "feel" for what spellpower was worth an overwrite or not...However, something like this with the colors makes that much simpler.

^Philosophically speaking, one can then say what's "lazy" or too easy etc, but in general being Pragmatic...End Results Matter, do what you can do to get maximum performance. Was thinking of anything that could make life easier on AMS even if you can do it the "old-fashioned" way. Wish I knew how to code, I'd have some ideas .

10+ Year Old Account
    Mik's Scrolling Battle Text as well as an understanding and memory of what abilities do what kind of damage.

AMS is a very potent ability when used properly.

Deleted
    If you are already taking damage probably it's already too late to use AMS.

It's the same problem with SR weak aura: when it shows up you've already lost 1 SR proc.

If you want to be better there are no shortcuts in my opinion: like in RL you have to study to learn things, you have to work hard to get promotions and so on.

I think the only "preemptive" tool might have helped would be DBM Bars have a "filler" color that is different alerting to a "magic" ability, but I can't code to change that...so pulling out the ol notebook this weekend. Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys.

Read the dungeon journal, learn which abilities do a safe amount of magic damage and when they happen.

AMS is a skill tester ability. How much value you get out of it depends on your encounter knowledge.