Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelf View Post
    Speaking of that... I made a post over at WowAce, but it disappeared for some reason. My proximity mute button is stuck ever since I clicked it during Durumu weeks ago. The frame isn't locked. Any ideas?
    I locked the thread because I don't want posts there, then I forgot to PM you... :/

The mute button is only clickable during normal proximity usage, not any special "target" proximity. I should hide the icon entirely during that state really. Try /range 10 and unmute it.
    https://github.com/funkydude - https://github.com/BigWigsMods
    Author of BadBoy, BasicChatMods, BigWigs, BFAInvasionTimer, SexyMap, and more...

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, interesting. I guess that would explain it! Thanks. I was a bit mystified about the thread; I began to question my memory of posting there... /chuckle.

Deleted
    I tried out BW recently, and so far I really like it, there is just one (cosmetic) problem I have with it: The bars look too stacked up for my liking. Is there any way to add some bar spacing? I couldn't find anything in the options, although it is possible that I'm just blind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeria View Post
    I tried out BW recently, and so far I really like it, there is just one (cosmetic) problem I have with it: The bars look too stacked up for my liking. Is there any way to add some bar spacing? I couldn't find anything in the options, although it is possible that I'm just blind.
    Right now, the only way to change how the bars are displayed is to create your own style. You can do this in a simple addon and adjust the spacing like this:

Code:
    BigWigs:GetPlugin("Bars"):RegisterBarStyle("MyBarStyle", {
    	apiVersion = 1, version = 1,
    	GetSpacing = function() return 2 end,
    	GetStyleName = function() return "MyBarStyle" end,
    })

BigWigs\Docs\BarStyles.txt has some helpful information about creating your own style and you can also peek at BigWigs_Plugins\Bars.lua for how the included styles are coded if you're feeling more ambitious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    Right now, the only way to change how the bars are displayed is to create your own style. You can do this in a simple addon and adjust the spacing like this:

Code:
    BigWigs:GetPlugin("Bars"):RegisterBarStyle("MyBarStyle", {
    	apiVersion = 1, version = 1,
    	GetSpacing = function() return 2 end,
    	GetStyleName = function() return "MyBarStyle" end,
    })

BigWigs\Docs\BarStyles.txt has some helpful information about creating your own style and you can also peek at BigWigs_Plugins\Bars.lua for how the included styles are coded if you're feeling more ambitious.
    Works like a charm, thank you very much!

Just wanted to add that after a lot of thought I might give BigWigs another try, mostly because I've found that DBM has made me lazy. I recall once (forget when and where though, so might be some time ago) I was trying out BigWigs and died to some ground AOE because I was so used to having DBM yell "BAD STUFF - MOVE AWAY" at me, and BigWigs did it's normal warning thing so I paid it no mind (I suppose I can use GTFO but that thing is annoying as all hell). That's just pathetic. BigWigs also seems to be the "pro" raiders choice of bossmods, for whatever little bit that's worth. Only thing I cannot remember if BigWigs has that I like about DBM is a special warning if something is targeted at you. Maybe it's a configuration, I never played too much with individual boss configurations since I like to have things set up out of the box.

My only real gripe is that BigWigs doesn't really have any of the 5-mans; I know about LittleWigs but that seems to be half-assed at best, while DBM fully supports everything, even if it's bloated.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't feel like LittleWigs is half-assed. I think it follows the same design principle as BigWigs, only show warnings/bars/etc for truly important things. And honestly, Mists heroics are fairly easy. The bosses without LittleWigs modules don't really need them. I suppose you could argue something about completeness... but I find it nice to only get warnings about things that need warnings.

I only use LittleWigs for testing. I'd rather not spend time moving my UI around during raids.

The upcoming heroic scenarios could be a good way for LittleWigs to shine

Quote Originally Posted by Stanzilla View Post
    The upcoming heroic scenarios could be a good way for LittleWigs to shine
    No. Go away. Nobody needs that!
    Educate the community: X-Perl is dead. Stop using it!

In general, I do like BW better then DBM, however, I find its too quiet compared to the in game volume level. Even with music and ambient volume off, its hard for me to hear audio cues from DBM over the normal game sound effects. In order to get it to where I can actually hear things, I have the volume for the game up so loud I have trouble heairng my raid group in vent. I would love to have a volume slider specifically for BW, so I could control it separately from WoW volume. Other than that, its exactly what I want in a Boss Mod.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
    Just to let you know, DBM recently implemented a first-load combat block for their config addon also, maybe they copied that too... ^^
    Reading something along the lines of this every page starts getting annoying quick (which doesn't make people sympathize more). Besides, copying stuff that works well is what every software company does or should do and not doing so is just stupid and will cost your customers. Simple as that. That said, having read the past few pages I think the most suggested feature for BW would be the small timers -> big timers animation (and I'd fancy that too). Why so stubborn?

Next PVP timers. It has been requested several times and you pointed most people to Capping Battleground Timers, but as most of those people have said that's not really what they want, and I understand that. It's a new addon to learn and configure and something just using the BW bars would be much better. I'm sure adding a module for BGs wouldn't be more difficult then adding a boss, it's just that you've got it into your head that you don't want it. This is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Drii View Post
    Maybe if I was only raiding LFR I'd like a bossmod that blares a horn, prints in size 40 caps and spawns a hand out of my screen to slap me in the face when I stand in something bad.
    Don't forget most people playing WoW only raid LFR, and I doubt many of them are willing to configure their boss mods when alternatively they can just download something else.

To solve this I'd consider adding some sort of configuration wizard for new users. This would basically be a few multiple-choice questions that then picks and applies a profile for the user. This would look something like this:

1. Thank you for choosing <insert boss mods name here>! Please take a minute to go through this wizard to configure <insert boss mods name here> exactly as you like.
    [ Start wizard (takes 20 seconds) ] [ Use default settings (skip wizard) ] [ Remind me later ]
    2. What kind of raiding do you do?
    [ LFR ] [ Normals ] [ Heroics ] (I imagine these buttons as some good looking images as that really helps selling the wizard)
    This could enable stuff like "run away little girl" when the boss does epicenter for LFR while completely ignoring it for the other types. Thrash (Sha of Fear) would be the opposite: disabled in LFR, enabled in the other modes.
    3. What kind of alerts do you want if you're standing in fire or other shit?
    [ Clear sound alerts, big mid screen text messages *(much like default DBM)* ] [ Simple sound alerts with simple visual warnings ] [ Only simple visual warnings (no sound) ]
    Basically what this asks is if the boss mod should hold your hand or not. Indicating which options is most similar to which boss mods would help get users changing from another mod used to their new mods.
    4. Do you want tank alerts? (useful for both healers and tanks!)
    [ Yes ] [ No ]
    Toggles stuff like thrash, triple swipe, etc.
    5. Do you want PVP timers?
    [ Yes ] [ No ]
    Toggles the loadable-on-demand module.
    5. Do you want 5M instance timers?
    [ Yes ] [ No ]
    Toggles the LittleWigs module.
    5. Some animation to show the installation is now complete (much like you see after installing Adobe Flash). You can't oversell this thing since it's something all users would get to see the first time they use the addon.

I don't think you'd want to make this too long, but I can think of a few more things to include. I believe this could solve most of the complaints I read in this thread: Noisy and spammy alerts (like DBM) can now easily be enabled by users, while users that prefer BW's default way of handling things can select that instead.
    Last edited by mmoc25d0f35602; 2013-05-06 at 11:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotorescue View Post
    Next PVP timers. It has been requested several times and you pointed most people to Capping Battleground Timers, but as most of those people have said that's not really what they want, and I understand that. It's a new addon to learn and configure and something just using the BW bars would be much better. I'm sure adding a module for BGs wouldn't be more difficult then adding a boss, it's just that you've got it into your head that you don't want it. This is a shame.
    People always bring this up and I really don't know why. Addons are usually very specific about what they provide, yet when it comes to pve and pvp timers, well shit, they're both timers! BigWigs could implement simple timers and alerts, sure, but whats the point when there are other mods that already do a much better job with all things pvp related because that is their focus?

I don't think you'd want to make this too long, but I can think of a few more things to include. I believe this could solve most of the complaints I read in this thread: Noisy and spammy alerts (like DBM) can now easily be enabled by users, while users that prefer BW's default way of handling things can select that instead.
    That doesn't make much sense. They are two addons providing the same thing in different styles. If you like one style more than the other, then use that addon.

10+ Year Old Account
    My big thing with BigWigs is how much you have to download to get what DBM comes with right off the bat by itself

Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    My big thing with BigWigs is how much you have to download to get what DBM comes with right off the bat by itself
    You think that's a bad thing? I much prefer having to enable a few things, than to disable many things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    You think that's a bad thing? I much prefer having to enable a few things, than to disable many things.
    I meant more of having to download a whole separate cluster of addons just for 5 mans and specific raid boss abilities.

Reading something along the lines of this every page starts getting annoying quick (which doesn't make people sympathize more). Besides, copying stuff that works well is what every software company does or should do and not doing so is just stupid and will cost your customers. Simple as that. That said, having read the past few pages I think the most suggested feature for BW would be the small timers -> big timers animation (and I'd fancy that too). Why so stubborn?

Heh I didn't notice the sig that said funky was the author of BW. I was wondering why this one person had so many posts in this thread talking up the mod and talking down the other. Almost 2 1/2 years registered and over 1/3 of his posts are in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also don't understand people's hard-on for dungeon boss mods. They're pretty irrelevant and you hardly need them to react to something that isn't already obvious, even for challenge modes. But people just get it in their head that they needs it.
    Last edited by nebula; 2013-05-07 at 07:23 AM.

Deleted
    I like the fact DBM added a module for Brawlers club...that was really needed!

I like bigwigs a little bit better than dm
    Annual research by the research agency Media Create.
    Indicated that of the $1.65 billion of the Otaku industry in 2007
    Doujin sales made up 48% ($792 million).
    25% of Japanese men between the ages of 30-34 are still virgins.
    Population and Social Security Research found that almost one in four Japanese men aged 30 to 34 is still a virgin.