View Poll Results: Do you like the Oondasta encounter?

Voters
489. This poll is closed
  • YES

172 35.17%
  • NO

317 64.83%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't know that I'd describe it as an 'encounter', it was more an experience The one time I've done it was a total zergfest I think I personally died 16 times by the end of it. He past 40 stacks of Growing Fury well before he died (I stopped paying attention after that).

Basically I'd rez and get a few solid shots in before being obliterated by Piercing Roar (which as far as I could tell was unavoidable). So many skeletons... so many skeletons.

It seemed to take forever too, so it was an experience, but I'm not sure it's one I'll rush back to in a hurry.Being on a PvP server may have made the whole thing a little more challenging too.

Deleted
    terrible encounter

was meant for hardcore raiders

gets farmed by LFR scrubs

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I love it.
    Went to The Isle of Giants with 4½ 40-man groups and had a blast
    I have longed for an open world encounter that would be able to gather that many people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeeh View Post
    People are doing it "wrong" atm. It doesnt require 100+ people, it requires 25-40 people that are actually geared (meaning full 522, if not 535) to do it right. Right now you have 100+ undergeared people who assume that because he spawns they should be able to kill him, which is not the case, so they come up with ways to get around the fact that they cant such as graveyard zerging him.
    And thus, it's overtuned.
    Galleon drops 496, can be 30 manned by 490 geared people.
    Oondasta drops 522, can be 200 manned by 490 geared people. There's a problem here.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

The problem is that this boss has a mechanic where you need to be 10 yards apart to survive. But since he drops 522 gear everyone on the server wants to kill him so you end up with 4-5 raid groups of people trying to kill him.

This makes it impossible to do the mechanics right and results in the GY zergs that we all see. I mean did blizzard expect for all of the "non heroic mode raiders" to just sit on the side lines at watch the few heroic mode guilds per server kill it every week with 25 person groups??
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Jacob6875 <=== Check out my Youtube Channel !!

Deleted
    i did it for the first time yesterday, i spent the entire fight looking at the res timer... after 3 deaths it was 2min res timer, just to res and get one hit killed again, the people who made the raid groups forgot to put any healers in the raid group i was in, so we just kept dying because no one was healing us...
    there wasnt much to enjoy for me, i barely got to attack him, it was just a GY zerg.

There is a bluepost saying his health has been reduced significantly I guess this just means we have to GY camp it for less.

In all seriousness NONE of the groups ive been in to kill it have approached the boss properly. His abilities and damage can be avoided/mitigated but people just dont know how. Therefore it just turns into mass genocide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchain View Post
    Now i cant remember the stacking buff he gets, but when that gets high enough. Theres nothing you can do to keep the Tank alive. Switching wont help.
    Maybe they werent geared enough. I actually never checked their gear. Just killed him 3times now, and every time i see tanks getting 1shotted.
    That would be what they call a soft enrage. IE Kill it faster.

I actually used to say that Oondasta is too easy because of zerg posibility, but after some thinking I now consider it perfectly tuned for its loot and world boss status. If it is hard for you, just go somewhere else: you're not entitled for the kill - you earn it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I currently have no interest in this boss. Too many clueless people. Same for the new LFR which I only join with some guildies...
    We are as God intended. Fallible, yet capable of great things.

I think blizz has just accepted this as a gold sink. They could easily just have him despawn if he gets near the GY to prevent zerging. Instead they nerf his hp so now low pop servers can wipe as easily to this and rack up repair bills.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I hate it. Farming it on 9 chars is just a pain, when the mount eventually drops I'll probably stop.
    It is pain to farm boss that is not supposed to be too farmable. Who could've fucking guessed? Can you please go cry that you can't farm Ra-Den with your 9 chars too?

I won't be bothering with this encounter until something changes, I've watched groups on Sen'Jin spend 7 hours trying to kill him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was incredibly fun, loved it every time.

As for one fps, I honestly can't imagine what makes people lag. I play on a little old laptop, I don't have perfect settings, yet on oondasta with 4 raids I still have 30 fps (on sha for compassion - 2-4fps). If you lag horribly, try changing from directx11 to directx9. Helped me a lot~!

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Pressing buttons to kill pixels in a video game to get purple epics is fun as well.
    Nah, that's a different type of fun that doesn't involve server lag and hundreds of zerglings spamming the chat about how broken the boss is.
    Last edited by Korru; 2013-03-22 at 02:53 PM.

People are doing it "wrong" atm. It doesnt require 100+ people, it requires 25-40 people that are actually geared (meaning full 522, if not 535) to do it right. Right now you have 100+ undergeared people who assume that because he spawns they should be able to kill him, which is not the case, so they come up with ways to get around the fact that they cant such as graveyard zerging him.
    Need 522 gear to get 522 gear? Incorrect. Reason why they made it "Tap to Faction"

If it requires 25-40 people in full 522 gear to down a boss that drops 522 gear (not even tier pieces, just standard armor), then I'm sorry, but that's shitty encounter design. The point of a boss is to be able to kill him and in doing so, have the potential to make your character stronger in some way. If killing a boss is only capable of giving you things you must already have to kill him in the first place, there is no point in his existence at all.

On topic, I don't care for it. I'm all for an interesting world boss that takes a lot of people to kill, but setting him up in such a way that the only way to kill him is to graveyard zerg him or stupidly outgear/outman him doesn't make things fun. It just leads to a pile of skeletons, and a lot of disappointed or pissed off people who didn't get anything to show for their time but a massive repair bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just enjoy seeing the amount of corpses littered throughout the island.

Deleted
    Just downed him on Azjol-Nerub EU Horde Side, after about 2 hours, & about 50+ people. Not a bad encounter, actually quite tricky, I'd have enjoyed it if the bloody mobs round him didn't respawn mid-fight & chew on anything close, bit difficult dealing with the boss (who hits really REALLY hard if you don't pay attention) when a couple of Devilsaurs & a Dinomancer spawn on top of you & start beating your face in...

How could you not love this boss? Seeing ~80 people from your server get stomped 2-3 times is easily worth the price of admission (which is the gold you spend after you die 2-3 times yourself).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?