Deleted

Question for the tank warriors out there

Hi protection warriors!

First of all, I will introduce myself as a player that likes to tank I have played every single tank at top level.
    Here in mop I started out with my DK but quickly got bored because they hadn't change since wrath, I tried my druid but I quickly remembered why I dropped him in the first place (different forms, can't see gear etc).
    So I tried the new class, monk, and I kind of like it. But I still miss the plate tanking, and especially a shield tank (I really like the look of it).

But now I have to choose between my warrior or my paladin, but since I have no idea how they changed them (active mitigation stuff) here in mop.
    So my questions is:
    How did the warrior tanking style get changed in mop?

How would you rate the fun from 1-10 (1 is horrible, 10 is amazing)?

and extra question if you have tried both warrior and pala:
    What made you pick warrior instead of the paladin?

Cheers
    Lewax/Apoulsen

I pick warrior over paladin for simplicity and fun but Paladins are better then warriors right now.

I had 3 issues with warrior tanks in Cata.

1. Rally being on same CD as Last Stand

2. No real mitigation for magic/unavoidable abilities (impale on madness anyone?)

3. No short CDs

They fixed all 3 of those problems with the removal of Rally/Last stand shared CD and threw a cherry ontop with demo banner, adding shield barrier and Demo shout.

Deleted
    Both are good fun, I honestly think with the state paladin is in now, its a very high probability that it will get nerfed in some way. So bear that in mind when making your decision

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The active mitigation was a huge change (for the better), at least for me. Prior to MoP, warrior tanking meant endlessly tweaking your gear to hit that magic 102.4% and blindly hitting things until your big cooldowns were available. Now we have to take an active role in our survival (semi-intelligent use of SB/Sbar, etc.) AND have more cooldowns at our disposal (banners, LS AND RC, and others). In my opinion, it's a welcome shift from tanking simply being a numbers game to being a playstyle. Just my two cents.

I chose my warrior over my pally for aesthetics and versatility. Seems like there is a lot more room created by the warrior toolkit for adapting to various fight mechanics. I get a bit jealous of haste stacking pallies, but they also get a taste of jealousy as I go zipping around the battlefield.

I started really getting into Paladins when I started playing, but switched to Warrior when I heard that you can wield both a 2H weapon and a shield simultaneously, which would allow for very good tanking and dps, only to find out that was really only effective before specializations, so now I am trying to decide whether or not to stick with Warrior and specialize in either Arms or Protection, or if I should go back to my Protection Warrior.

One thing to be note: Warriors are specialized in tanking and DPS, Pallys are more of a hybrid class so if you are looking for a pure Tank or DPS go with Warrior, just keep in mind that they are heavily gear dependent. Pallys however are easier to level because of their healling and they can catch a lot of mobs quickly. Both can wear plate.

Also, pallys get more "Knightly" armor, so if looks are important to you take that into consideration. Warriors don't get any armor like that, but here's the thing: Warriors get Commander/General looking armor, so if you see your self as a leader that might look good on you.

You can use WoWhead to view how armors look, as well as their stats.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2013-03-20 at 07:47 PM.

Deleted
    I think warrior has gone up the scale in levels of fun, altho we still lack proper AoE. I mean in the long run you have nice aoe threat and damage, not the best but ok. The problem is if theres an uneven pack of mobs, you cant pick them up effieciently. Not like DK or Pally just drops an Dot on the ground and waits for mobs to come hug them. Druids can just go swiping all they want? And then comes the Monk, the New God of AoE tanking, spammable ranged "thunderclap" + crane kick + Keg Smash + Fire breath etc etc.

Yes, we have cooldown for spammable taunt and an AoE taunt banner. But they are nothing but weird unreliable gimmicks. Oh the times my banner fails to taunt mobs around it and then the adds go say hi to the healers.

And those are cooldowns, once in 3minutes. Imo pretty bad cooldowns.

I know some ppl will bash me for trumpeting this everywhere, but i think our Thunderclap should leave a "lightning residue" to the ground like pally consecration. OR, we warriors itself would be left with "lightning residue" aura, zapping foes that come in a 10-12 yard radius around us for 6seconds. Would help and sounds cool. And i wouldnt mind couple more yards to the area affected by Thunderclap, it does feel too small many times.
    Last edited by mmoc7f4ca4fed4; 2013-03-21 at 02:43 AM.

I think warriors are the most "fun" tank class. Especially in 5man dungeons. Charge on this, silence that, leap over there, thunder clap and aoe that shit. I just love it .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    I think warrior has gone up the scale in levels of fun, altho we still lack proper AoE. I mean in the long run you have nice aoe threat and damage, not the best but ok. The problem is if theres an uneven pack of mobs, you cant pick them up effieciently. Not like DK or Pally just drops an Dot on the ground and waits for mobs to come hug them. Druids can just go swiping all they want? And then comes the Monk, the New God of AoE tanking, spammable ranged "thunderclap" + crane kick + Keg Smash + Fire breath etc etc.

Yes, we have cooldown for spammable taunt and an AoE taunt banner. But they are nothing but weird unreliable gimmicks. Oh the times my banner fails to taunt mobs around it and then the adds go say hi to the healers.

I know some ppl will bash me for trumpeting this everywhere, but i think our Thunderclap should leave a "lightning residue" to the ground like pally consecration. OR, we warriors itself would be left with "lightning residue" aura, zapping foes that come in a 10-12 yard radius around us for 6seconds. Would help and sounds cool. And i wouldnt mind couple more yards to the area affected by Thunderclap, it does feel too small many times.
    Us not having proper AoE is just simply not true by any stretch of the imagination
    TC does rediculous amounts of damage, as does deep wounds since the hotfix and while not doing that you spam revenge and cleave on ultimatum procs

As for picking up mobs that are uneven, this is frankly (and no offence intended) down to a skill thing for the majority of times

With threat plates you have;

Easily visible threat
    Two Charges
    Heroic Throw
    Heroic Leap
    Taunt
    Pulsing AoE Taunt with banner
    A spammable Taunt with vigilance

As for your suggestion of a targeted AoE, they could do... but frankly I prefer on a class that is so mobile to have large snap threat linked to my characters position rather than having a weaker ticking AoE that I would have to drag mobs into

Quote Originally Posted by barricade_ View Post
    I think warriors are the most "fun" tank class. Especially in 5man dungeons. Charge on this, silence that, leap over there, thunder clap and aoe that shit. I just love it .
    Indeed! There is so much room for activities!
    I've played Druid and Death Knight tank and I am still leveling my paladin but nevertheless I find warrior the most fun tank class to play. They are also pretty good in terms of raiding, especially with the addition of banners and shield barrier. Pick warrior! We are never weak, just not OP sometimes =).
    And yeah, I don't really see a reason to complain about warriors AoE.
    Last edited by Tofifi; 2013-03-21 at 11:42 AM.

IMO warriors are now and always have been a skill based tanking model. I'm not saying that other tanking classes do not require skill, I'm just saying that prot warriors have a need for better situational awareness and timing than other classes. As with any skill based class, there is as much room for failure as there is for success. As was mentioned above, there is so much more room for activities, but when the bunk beds collapse it really hurts. When you fail to time your mitigation abilities, or put TC on cooldown 2 seconds before you need it, it is much harder to do your job. Conversely, when you can do everything right as a warrior tank, the experience is much more exhilarating and rewarding than other tank classes.

I personally preferred warr tanking in 4.3 to now, but as a ms dps I think that is mainly due to warrior tank dps at that point being so strong, after I hit 102.4 If you swapped in dps gear instead of going the regem stam route the numbers were crazy, old prot scaled so well with AP and crit.
    New prot lacks that aspect slightly, but damage reduction is mountains better now than cata and before. 25% passive less damage taken makes us the easier tank to heal, although a good paly is better(their raid healing while tanking borders the insane) warrior simplicity leaves a lot of time for thought and contemplating your actions for the rest of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post

They solved that AOE and thunderclap for MOP .... now it add deep wounds to all mobs.. so rather than a static dot patch deep wounds is actually on the mob so imo its better and I'm seeing 30k+ ticks and upto 60K crits so its not something to gumble over imo

And a warriors mobility, versatility and tools for any job make it a dynamic and fun class to play
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"