1. #1

    5.2 LFR tier set or VP gear?

    I am gearing up. The best I will be able to do is LFR and valor. My question is: Are the set bonuses of Tier 15 LFR, both prot and DPS, worth not upgrading those spots with valor 522 pieces?

    Any info/link would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    13,100
    The valor gear is not the best optimized gear. Dunno about the Warrior situation, but for most classes, the gear is lacking the right stats.
    I don't need damn crit on my healer gear as Resto Druid I need Haste or Mastery... I don't need Mastery as SV or BM Hunter. And the list goes on.

  3. #3
    Generally speaking, the Set bonuses are 100% worth it, even with the 20 ilevel loss. I'm no Warrior, but I know as a Ret Paladin, my set bonuses change ALOT, and give some major buffs.

    You can only cover 4/5 slots with 522 anyways. There is no VP Helms to buy, so that will have to be a 502. Additionally, getting Exalted for the 522 Shoulders is going to take a LONG time (at 330 rep per boss, and only 6 bosses for this week and next week, then 2 weeks of 9, etc). Plus, the 522 Chest + Legs + Gloves = 6250 VP. That means, by the time you've killed LFR Lei-Shin a couple times, you will have enough VP to buy those 3 pieces... meaning you skip out on buying other pieces. Plus, you gotta realize that the Gloves and Legs are at Honoured (not til next week or the week after), and the Chest is at Revered (3 weeks after hitting Honoured), you will have excess VP you need to spend elsewhere.

    Generally, set bonuses are always worth it.

    Personally, I'm doing VP Cloak, Belt, Gloves (the one non-tier slot I will be using), Amulet, Ring, Trinket, Bracers. The rest will be 502 (either set or lack of VP option).
    Thankfully, Ret is pretty good with all 3 stats, so it won't hurt me much.
    Last edited by ZeroEdgeir; 2013-03-20 at 12:23 PM.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

  4. #4
    I'm going full valor. The set bonuses are pretty neat, but the overall stat loss (str and crit) is absurd. Every valor plate/misc piece (exept neck and chest) has a f*&k tone of crit and str. I dont see much sence in cutting yourself in prime stats because of some perks. I will may be going with the head (no valor) and chest (one more socket than valor) to get the 2p bonus, but thats it.

  5. #5
    Moderator eddytheone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,051
    For DPS the set bonuses are worth it, for Prot don't bother

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Darkfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Smag View Post
    I'm going full valor. The set bonuses are pretty neat, but the overall stat loss (str and crit) is absurd. Every valor plate/misc piece (exept neck and chest) has a f*&k tone of crit and str. I dont see much sence in cutting yourself in prime stats because of some perks. I will may be going with the head (no valor) and chest (one more socket than valor) to get the 2p bonus, but thats it.
    Don't listen to this guy, he's wrong. Going to steal Collisions math since I CBF to keep retyping and explaining this to people who don't listen.

    Smoking total crack. I'm guessing you mean T15 4 pc, not T14. The banner is a 1200~ SEP gain, which means that even if the tier pieces were itemized as such:

    2000 str
    2000 sta
    ONLY overcap hit

    and you COULDN'T reforge them, it would take 1200 SEP/(0.95 crit sep - 0.41 overcap hit sep) 2222 additional crit to outweigh the tier bonus. That's a total worse case scenario, assuming that the tier pieces don't have haste/mastery/crit, and that we can't reforge our gear, so more than likely it's actually 3500-4000+ crit needed to outweigh the bonus.

    People are way too much in love with crit, forgetting that haste/mastery/overcap hit still have value. These are probably the very same group of people who are used the coaster for more than a few minutes.

    NOW on to my maths. The (valor) gloves are amazingly itemized, the legs are decent but have too much expertise. There are several actual factors to consider:

    1.) Do you lose the Tier 14 2/4p? The 4p is more awkward and weaker now since a 90 second reck doesn't line up well, but it's still a gain. The 2p is around a 2% DPS increase for SMF, closer to 3% for TG. 2% of 100k+ is over 2k, and a single piece replaced won't replace that. For a comparison, a 496 w/ 500 str gem to 522 weapon in the OH was around a 4-6k DPS increase, and that's with much better stats on the piece as well. Since you're gearing, I'm going to assume this isn't an issue. This is more for other people with the same question.

    2.) What else can you spend valor on? The trinket is strong, the ring is decent, and the necklace is ehh to decent. If you spend valor on pieces you already have LFR
    for, you're going to end up with an overall lower item level.

    3.) The direct DPS differences between the stats lost using LFR tier compared to the DPS gain from the 2p. The 2p value isn't static, the better the warrior is the better he'll be able to utilize the enrage. I havn't done the math, so I'm not sure of the SEP of the 2p yet.

    My advice, use tier and spend valor on other pieces.

  7. #7
    Let me clarify something.

    My warrior is an alt. I don't see him doing any normals yet, at least till we are done with progression. No 2/2 graded sha touched stuff, no sir. Now, to add, I am rolling arms. Why? Just cos. I was getting some kicks out of SMF, but the RNG is pretty dumb. And with the new "do a jump through the hoop" boss mechanics all over ToT, the whole fury proc-a-rama thing is ridiculous. Warriors are not getting any love from progression guilds anyway, so I am not going BiS and Cookie cutter builds theory here either. Hey, I am seeing a lot of arms warriors doing just fine in logs, so why not? If I spec fury, its only for the TG cleave thing anyways. Kind of sick of being a 20% Hero -_-.

    As soon as nalak will be available - I will try to get 522 set gloves and legs. So I will still go for the whole 4p set anyway and just buy the exalted shado-pan shoulders. But before that, I can only see myself going for the Head-Chest LFR 2p set (for some meaty OPs) and 522 Valor gear. The burst phase in arms is Reck/SBanner/BBath Slam into CS. Yeah, you get more chances of slam crits with 4p, but Arms is more of a sustain build rather than burst/execution phase SMF. So no, 4p bonus won't be that of a dps loss for arms as for fury, I suppose. You would make it up for it during the whole fight by getting more Strength and Crit from non-set valor items and just crunching OPs and getting mastery procs.

    And btw, Im seeing some Arms and Fury (TG mostly) warriors going Baldestorm-Bloodbath. Whats up with that>?

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans Darkfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Smag View Post
    Let me clarify something.

    My warrior is an alt. I don't see him doing any normals yet, at least till we are done with progression. No 2/2 graded sha touched stuff, no sir. Now, to add, I am rolling arms. Why? Just cos. I was getting some kicks out of SMF, but the RNG is pretty dumb. And with the new "do a jump through the hoop" boss mechanics all over ToT, the whole fury proc-a-rama thing is ridiculous. Warriors are not getting any love from progression guilds anyway, so I am not going BiS and Cookie cutter builds theory here either. Hey, I am seeing a lot of arms warriors doing just fine in logs, so why not? If I spec fury, its only for the TG cleave thing anyways. Kind of sick of being a 20% Hero -_-.

    As soon as nalak will be available - I will try to get 522 set gloves and legs. So I will still go for the whole 4p set anyway and just buy the exalted shado-pan shoulders. But before that, I can only see myself going for the Head-Chest LFR 2p set (for some meaty OPs) and 522 Valor gear. The burst phase in arms is Reck/SBanner/BBath Slam into CS. Yeah, you get more chances of slam crits with 4p, but Arms is more of a sustain build rather than burst/execution phase SMF. So no, 4p bonus won't be that of a dps loss for arms as for fury, I suppose. You would make it up for it during the whole fight by getting more Strength and Crit from non-set valor items and just crunching OPs and getting mastery procs.

    And btw, Im seeing some Arms and Fury (TG mostly) warriors going Baldestorm-Bloodbath. Whats up with that>?
    You're still wrong. About literally everything. Do I really need to explain it again?

  9. #9
    i would say head from BS and the rest t15 LFR as BIS when you only can get gear via LFR, valor, craft...
    head will be pretty expensive... so in that case, shoulders for valors? not sure on this one...

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by ondrro View Post
    i would say head from BS and the rest t15 LFR as BIS when you only can get gear via LFR, valor, craft...
    head will be pretty expensive... so in that case, shoulders for valors? not sure on this one...
    Isn't the shoulders kinda "free" anyway if you just hit exalted? 700 Gold isn't that much to me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •