Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why is the Dks in the top guilds going Unholy?

As the title says, Why is every Top DK going unholy? And when I say top DK I am talking about the Dks in method, Blood Legion etc etc.

After the HB nerf is UH the best spec currently?

10+ Year Old Account
    HB got a nerf and UH got a buff, so I'm sure it is probably about = if not above at this point. I keep meaning to try it myself but I never seem to have time

I went UH until the first boss dropped a Thunderforged Worldbreaker's Stormscythe (1H Axe) and no one else could use it. Everyone stops what they're doing and looks at me...."Ok Fine I'll go back to frost!" *There was much rejoicing in the land*

The reason for it is that it is very close to Frost now. It is a fun style to play and people like to try the new trendy thing.

Quite frankly the answer to your question is: They wouldn't do it if the numbers weren't good.

I'll be interested in seeing if they stick with it after they are geared out...depending on incoming buffs (yes, I believe there will be more buffs to DK in the near future).
    Last edited by DarthMetatron; 2013-03-20 at 07:36 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Sathir, Dreadlord of Greenmist
    AKA Bigokk from FFXI

Read My Lips: No New Content -Mike Morhaime, 2016 US Presidential Candidate
    WWCGD (What Would Ghostcrawler Do)? Unsub.

Certain fights work better for UH. Certain work better for frost.

A few of the encounters in ToT favor Unholy. That's all there is to it.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Deleted
    At a guess maybe the spec is working better for different encounters and they found a way to maximise unholy in a way they couldn't with frost.

I'd be interested and whether or not they are staying Unholy for every encounter or going to 2 hand Frost or DW Frost...Do you guys think 2hand Frost Cleave is good enough to switch from Unholy ST? Or is the biggest difference between Unholy/2hFrost and DW Frost concerning cleave...

2-hand frost AOE is fine, just not on the level of DW. If you really need to maximize AOE/cleave damage as 2-hand frost just hearth out and reforge haste/mastery instead of haste/crit. Slightly less single target damage, but it should still be in the top 1/3rd of your raid in AOE.

They could be going unholy for dark animus I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashi View Post
    As the title says, Why is every Top DK going unholy? And when I say top DK I am talking about the Dks in method, Blood Legion etc etc.

After the HB nerf is UH the best spec currently?
    Blood Legion's recent kill of Twin Consorts has a DW Frost DK. I just think they're bringing in different specs that are better suited for certain encounters.

when i will have a good 2h i will switch to unholy cause they are so op for aoe fight.i will show the logs

frost logs heroic
    http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play..._Death_Knight/
    http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play..._Death_Knight/ i work on this boss atm pulling around 175k dps

unholy logs heroic

also at full bis unholy will be the king of aoe for sure.

Deleted
    unholy is only viable at tortos cause most classes cant aoe while unholy has the dots remaining.
    dw frost still the best overall.
    btw bosses with 20 samples are really representative

Quote Originally Posted by Hafizah View Post
    unholy is only viable at tortos cause most classes cant aoe while unholy has the dots remaining.
    They were representative enough for you to call dw frost top dps spec though?

Horridon is pretty good for Unholy too, since you can keep up large damage on Horridon while doing your add damage. Really any fight where adds are present, but aren't necessarily close together, they will do well in. Tortos, Frost can keep up with the Bat damage, but you won't be doing any to the Turtles whereas Unholy can spread diseases as they come in, and do quite a bit more without having to even run around attacking them.

Still, Unholy is definitely in a good spot, even single target, if you gear for it. Getting trinkets like HFeather/VP Trinket, Festerblight is going to be super effective and I wouldn't be surprised if disease AP rolling gets tweaked.
    Last edited by fangless; 2013-03-21 at 02:39 PM.

Lot of these fights have great dmg buffs. Think of it this way. Dots do a ton of damage. Horridon, put dots on boss, spread them with pesti, they keep dmg buff on adds (is the thing still in the game where if you spread diseases with pesti it does more damage?) Doing a lot of damage. Same with Tortos. It helps a lot to be able to play both specs though.

Deleted
    the problem about unholy is still no pressure when you really need it, ie venom priest at horridon

the problem about unholy is still no pressure when you really need it, ie venom priest at horridon
    so because we don't have a 1min cd, we're useless? its easy enough to save frenzy and gary for the venom priests, since it'll be up in time for the war-god after that. we got a huge QoL buff for target switching and AoE, with the plague strike and reaping change.

Deleted
    frost has the strongest splash burst ingame; unholy has dots that need to tick for a much longer time than frost needs to spam hb.

and the burst difference is only really noticeably different if the mobs die within your 4 or so HBs, if they live longer, then UH is a lot closer, as well as being more effective if the mobs are not stacked

Deleted
    you can play unholy at council and tortos, maybe horridon and megaera hc. thats 4 of 12 bosses