How should I upgrade this computer to play WoW? Really need your help. Thank you :3

Ok so just a brief introduction on my computer. I had picked up this computer around 6 years back come August. It was a computer built for casual gaming. Nothing too fancy. I was happy with games and graphics then didn't play a big part. Also WoW wasn't one of the games and neither was Skyrim.

However times have changed. I ain't rushing to buy a new computer. Am actually waiting for news on the next generation consoles and games that are coming out to see what are the minimum requirements on those. I am also waiting for the system requirements for the Elder Scrolls Online.

However, in the mean time I am merely looking for a stop gap solution, a temporary upgrade, cause with MoP, its really hard playing WoW. It was bearable for most of Cata but its come to a point where I rather spend a little bit extra.

SYSTEM SPEC:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.130104-1437)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 530
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 2218MB used, 2158MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8400 GS
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0404&SUBSYS_C7383842&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 1266 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
    Shared Memory: 767 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Deleted
    it would require so much upgrading that you would be better off making a new rig imo.
    also more info allong these lines would help allot aswell.
    Include the following information when posting a request.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    it would require so much upgrading that you would be better off making a new rig imo.
    also more info allong these lines would help allot aswell.
    Include the following information when posting a request.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    So just a video card upgrade will not help at all?
    Last edited by Ebonheart; 2013-03-20 at 08:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    So just a video card upgrade will not help at all?
    not much since wow relies allot on cpu power aswell.
    maybe it can keep up at low resolution but tbh that wouldn't be a worthwhile investment.

not much since wow relies allot on cpu power aswell.
    maybe it can keep up at low resolution but tbh that wouldn't be a worthwhile investment.
    I wouldn't really mind that temporarily. Cause I ain't in a position to invest in a whole new gaming computer right now.

Deleted
    I wouldn't really mind that temporarily. Cause I ain't in a position to invest in a whole new gaming computer right now.
    well what kind of performance/settings are you after? (and at what resolution?)

well what kind of performance/settings are you after? (and at what resolution?)
    I currently run wow on 1440 x 900 on the lowest settings and I get an average of 30 FPS which drops below 20 FPS in crowded areas. However, I customize it a bit. I have Environment Detail and View Distance on Good and Particle Density on High.

Well I don't think I would be able to run it with a 1650 x 1050 resolution. So I'll stick with a 1440 x 900 resolution. I was at least hoping to run wow on "Good" ore even "High" by customizing and turning off a few things with a stable frame rate above 40 FPS.

Hope that helps.

Deleted
    maybe it's possible for the settings but it's impossible to say for sure since there aren't any proper benchmarks on your cpu chip. (did manage to find a E4500 and that performs +- @25% the capacity of a i5-2500k when comparing single core performance.)

i'd say raiding is out of the question even if you'd upgrade the gpu.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much money are you willing to spend? How much money is your maximum? We may be able to suggest some parts to you, so you can just build a comp with will completely decimate your current comp (I'm talking about $500-$600 range, maybe even lower).

maybe it's possible for the settings but it's impossible to say for sure since there aren't any proper benchmarks on your cpu chip. (did manage to find a E4500 and that performs +- @25% the capacity of a i5-2500k when comparing single core performance.)

i'd say raiding is out of the question even if you'd upgrade the gpu.
    I've raided pretty actively during Cataclysm and I've never really had a problem besides a drop in FPS. In fact 10M were around 20-30FPS for the most part. I do admit 25M gave me a hard time. But I frequently capped my Valor Points on my alts via LFR. But thanks again for taking the effort for looking things up.

So right now what are my options without upgrading anything else other than my Video Card? Cause its simply impossible for me right now to get "new" computer or even upgrade anything else. I need to work with what I have at least till the end of this year. I wouldn't want to go on the details over why on a public forum, but its impossible.

That is why I was looking for a temporary solution.

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    How much money are you willing to spend? How much money is your maximum? We may be able to suggest some parts to you, so you can just build a comp with will completely decimate your current comp (I'm talking about $500-$600 range, maybe even lower).
    Well to be quite honest I can't really get or build a new comp right now. So that is simply out of the question for reasons I mentioned earlier will not be brought up on a public forum. Its complicated.

I am trying to work with what I have at least till the end of this year. I wouldn't mind spending a maximum of $150 if required to get a better video card.

Deleted
    maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131477 would do the trick, but it all depends wether or not the PSU can give enough power.

maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131477 would do the trick, but it all depends wether or not the PSU can give enough power.
    Would any of the NVIDIA GTX cards help? Not necessarily better. But would any be a good replacement to what I currently have?

Still educating myself here (and lurking), but is there any reason why a pentium/mobo/vid card upgrade isn't an option? Could swing a g860/2020/mobo/7750 for about $250...Or is that potentially not compatible with the Inspiron?

Deleted
    Would any of the NVIDIA GTX cards help? Not necessarily better. But would any be a good replacement to what I currently have?
    nope every gtx series gpu requires atleast 1 6pin connector in order to work. (unless you go for a GT 630, but that card is for multimedia the 7770 i linked will perform 2 times better)