Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Id say it was a pretty major overreaction from the woman's part, but perhaps the guys should have been a bit more discreet with their jokes I guess. Maybe a warning or request for them to stop would have been much better then immediately trying to get them fired.

On a side note, this lady seems like a real bore and someone I would never want to be friends with haha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    There's something tense about professional adults needing to act like professional adults?
    I was unaware that it was any of that cray bitch's business what those 2 guys where saying to eachother. Maybe if she wasnt a nosy clownshoe, eavesdropping on others, she wouldnt have to hear those disgraceful words like "dongle".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moistmuffins View Post
    Actually they do happen. And I do work in a professional setting. If someone feels offended they let us know and we know not to say things that could be offensive around them. Acting like an adult happens in a professional setting. Jokes can be adult, overreactions are childish.
    yeah, we make jokes all the time, just not infront of clients / strangers. and definately not out somewhere where you are representing the company.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something tense about professional adults needing to act like professional adults?
    When you promote an environment where immature jokes are met with this level of response, and not a friendly warning for them to cease, you stifle any comfort one would have speaking with you.

You also completely avoided code of conduct part of my response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    I was unaware that it was any of that cray bitch's business what those 2 guys where saying to eachother. Maybe if she wasnt a nosy clownshoe, eavesdropping on others, she wouldnt have to hear those disgraceful words like "dongle".
    She is seriously insane.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    If this is how working in an office is you can have it. Glad I work in a shop building engines with my friends and family, and then when I go to Trade shows and conventions I am around 100,000 like minded people who make crude jokes and enjoy going fast.
    I am honestly jealous of my friends who were able to get into this same business. It just didn't interest me enough. While I do enjoy my job and the people I'm around, they genuinely look ecstatic at all times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Penis jokes take up half of my work day, although I don't work with many women so I guess I can get away with it.

i work with more females than males and sexual jokes fill up a good portion of our day, at least on quiet days.

No, it's not. Corporations require their employees to abide by rules of behavior even at conferences.

People need to make jokes about dongs in a professional setting? Grow the fuck up.
    You see, this is where the line gets blurred, and why humans are humans. Did they actively call herself or anyone out? no. Were they disruptive? probably not. Were they bored, or wanted to pass the day, or looking for a quick laugh? maybe. Did they deserve to get their entire careers wrecked? I'd argue not. She is neither professional nor honest, herself, ane the gratuitious amount of self-promotion is really what gets me.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    When you promote an environment where immature jokes are met with this level of response, and not a friendly warning for them to cease, you stifle any comfort one would have speaking with you.

You also completely avoided code of conduct part of my response.
    In no part of your response did it say they couldn't be dismissed. In fact, corporations' policies often state explicitly that any incidence of sexual harassment is met with dismissal.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i work with more females than males and sexual jokes fill up a good portion of our day, at least on quiet days.
    sounds like you need to get some of these women fired, its only fair.

yeah, we make jokes all the time, just not infront of clients / strangers. and definately not out somewhere where you are representing the company.
    Oh I definitely agree. The two should have waited until they were out to make stupid jokes. They are not excused of being a poor representation of their employer in public. But her reaction was just absurd and makes actual feminists (female or male) look worse than they made their employer look.

well, to be fair here, the guys' jokes went beyond "hehe, dongle"

He had been looking for some boxes and said aloud that he was looking under the skirt (he had meant a table skirt) in the expo hall. A woman had “given him a look” and/or made a comment after he said this so he responded by saying “it was bare, just the way he liked it” as an innuendo for when women shave off all their pubic hair.
    is pretty damned inappropriate. they did need to be sat down imo.

that said, im finding her irksome with her hyperbole:

Not every woman who attends a tech conference is a victim in waiting.
    really? stop with the drama already. as if they were serial killers on the prowl at a tech conference.

im going with what is undoubtedly going to be an unpopular opinion: this incident was a collision of assholes of differing stripes
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    1) More childish? No.
    2) No, it fit it perfectly.
    3) I really don't fucking care what people think of themselves.

I hate to state the obvious, but I will: you're in the military. I'm in an office building.
    More than half the people I work with are civilians, I am not currently working on a Military Barracks. Offices and science labs take up most of my day.

10+ Year Old Account
    In no part of your response did it say they couldn't be dismissed. In fact, corporations' policies often state explicitly that any incidence of sexual harassment is met with dismissal.
    Is a dongle joke really sexual harassment? It wasn't even directed to anyone.....

People are to sensitive now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyese View Post
    I saw this on escapistmagazine.com and was going to make a post about it, albeit with a more neutral tone.
    That's where I first heard of this as well. I didn't use a neutral tone because not every issue actually has two sides.

In this case it's pretty obvious that the bitch with the messiah complex is the one in the wrong.

What I find most interesting, is that she has no proof of her claims other than her words, and immediately it's just assumed they made the comments she said they did.

I also found this section particularly good:

"Women in technology need consistant messaging from birth through retirement they are welcome, competent and valued in the industry."

So we have to coddle women because they are women?

Really hope this war on men is over in my lifetime.

Also, some people consider calling someone an "ass clown" a homophobic insult, just sayin'.
    Last edited by Tinykong; 2013-03-20 at 08:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post
    Id say it was a pretty major overreaction from the woman's part, but perhaps the guys should have been a bit more discreet with their jokes I guess. Maybe a warning or request for them to stop would have been much better then immediately trying to get them fired.

On a side note, this lady seems like a real bore and someone I would never want to be friends with haha.

i agree, a warning at work and make them take a course in sexual harrasment or something. i think it would have been acceptable to remove them from the conferance, and they did act like idiots. its all fine making jokes at work, but when you're out representing a company you have to behave.

and yes, i can't imagine she's popular at her offices christmas party..

10+ Year Old Account
    They were stupid enough to make any kind of sexual joke at work, they got caught and fired.
    What's the problem here?
    Regardless of whether or not you agree with these policies, you know that making jokes like that at work is a risk. They did it anyway.
    Do I think they were trying to "harass" anyone? No.
    But making stupid decisions leads to stupid consequences.

i agree, a warning at work and make them take a course in sexual harrasment or something. i think it would have been acceptable to remove them from the conferance, and they did act like idiots. its all fine making jokes at work, but when you're out representing a company you have to behave.

and yes, i can't imagine she's popular at her offices christmas party..
    The economy is in the shitter. There's no reason to hold onto any employee that has proven themselves to be a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    well, to be fair here, the guys' jokes went beyond "hehe, dongle"

is pretty damned inappropriate. they did need to be sat down imo.

that said, im finding her irksome with her hyperbole:

really? stop with the drama already. as if they were serial killers on the prowl at a tech conference.

im going with what is undoubtedly going to be an unpopular opinion: this incident was a collision of assholes of differing stripes
    The skirt comment was not from the guys who got fired, it was a separate incident earlier during the event by a completely different guy.