Help, My External HD won't work anymore.

I have this problem with my external HD. It won't show up on my computer anymore or my playstation.

I usually watch tv series all day on my playstation with it but today i plugged it in and my computer/playstation can't find it.

Does anybody know what is wrong or how i can fix it?

Thanks

Deleted
    I had that problem last week, I just replaced the USB cable and that sorted it, have you tried doing that?

10+ Year Old Account
    This could be on the PC area but you can fix it by replacing the USB on it

10+ Year Old Account
    Things to check:

Is the HDD receiving power? Normally there is a status light on an External HDD. Make sure that the status light is lit.

If it is lit, do you feel the HDD vibrating?

Try using a different USB Cable.

If all of this fails. You can buy a Drive Adapter and take the HDD out of the External Case. You can plug the HDD into the drive adapter and the drive adapter into a PC. If it still does not show up, you may have a dead drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Things to check:

Is the HDD receiving power? Normally there is a status light on an External HDD. Make sure that the status light is lit.

If it is lit, do you feel the HDD vibrating?

Try using a different USB Cable.

If all of this fails. You can buy a Drive Adapter and take the HDD out of the External Case. You can plug the HDD into the drive adapter and the drive adapter into a PC. If it still does not show up, you may have a dead drive.
    Thanks for your help everyone..
    My light is still on the hard drive but i dont feel it vibrating.
    Also what would happen if my hard drive is dead? is there anyway i could get all my files back? or are they lost forever?