Deleted

Eternal Flame Blanketing

Hey there!

Having just recently rerolled holy after playing protection for the past many years I'm currently getting readjusted to healing, it's a little bit different than cataclysm, specially EF blanketing, I see this mentioned a lot and I understand most paladins utilize this healing concept.

What I'd like to know is how exactly EF blanketing works; do I use CS to build holy power? do I use 1, 2 or 3 hp EFs? obviously some will depend on the fight, but is EF blanketing the whole raid with as high stacked EFs as you can or keeping 2-3 stacks up on half the raid (talking 10 man btw)

Anything you think might help clear this up for me will be greatly appriciated!

Anyhow, looking forward to hearing from you lot!

~Space

Depends on a few factors, but here are the general rules.

If the raid is going to be taking moderate damage consistently (i.e. garalon), you probably want to go with 3xEF blanketting and spec into divine purpose to give yourself more blanketting capacity. In this damage situation, you will get more out of 3xEF's because of the increased proc rate on divine purpose as well as the fact that players will usually be low enough in health to get higher benefits from the initial direct heal.

If raid damage is light most of the time with a few heavy damage periods, and probably heavier tank damage (i.e. will of the emperor), you'll most likely go with 1xEF blanketting. In this case, you're really after getting a lot of HoT's going to build shields on as many targets as possible as well as funneling heals to beacon from a lot of places. In this case, I prefer holy avenger to deal with periods of heavy burst damage over divine purpose, which is less effective when you are not stacking to 3 holy power for each EF cast.

In terms of gear, the tier 14 4-piece makes both methods much more powerful. This reduces your HS cooldown to 4 seconds, letting you generate more holy power both directly, and through more Infusion of Light procs for faster Divine Lights on the tank or Holy Radiance on the raid. As a side note, with the 4-set bonus and divine purpose, it is possible to keep 3xEF's on 7-8 people at a time, which is extremely powerful in 10 man raiding.

CS weaving is debatable. Some players prefer not to use it because it consumes mana without doing an direct healing. Others use it because it is still a fairly cheap spell to generate holy power when HS is on cooldown and you don't have an IoL proc to speed-cast DL or HR. Personally, I will weave CS occasionally for 2 reasons. To generate HP and to ensure my swing timer is going on a boss or add to generate mana through Seal of Insight. Generally speaking, if you can get 2 melee swings off while in range of the boss, the CS has already been paid for.

Deleted
    Cheers for clearing that up, had a lot of fun practicing on horridon hc, couldn't keep the blanketing up all fight, ended up reverting to cata style healing near the end, but I'll get there I guess, at least the sucker died

Deleted
    Imo using CS to build holy power is not worth it anymore. What made CS so good was the pvp 4 set that in only really took 2 HP for one EF/WoG.

The only time that I use CS to build holy power is when I have holy avenger up and the raid is taking constant AoE damage, such as the AoE DoT Garalon.

How does this work when you're the tank healer? I'm currently the 3rd healer in my 10 man guild. I switch depending on the fight, but when I do heal (which seems more and more these days) I am strictly a tank healer.

I try to keep EF on as many people as possible, but being the tank healer I end up using 3x EF's on a tank sometimes that already has the HoT rolling just for the regular healing portion.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I'm always like 60-75% on WoL to "rank".

But then I look at some of the logs for other holy paladins and they're either 2 healing, have way better gear, or are raid healing/EF blanketing and not tank healing.

EDIT: Wanted to add that healing is usually never a problem in our guild, it's the DPS standing in stupid stuff or tunneling(scumbagging) when they shouldn't be.

Also here's the log from our Meg attempts last night (we were 4 healing and the damage was still crushing us on the last head)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=11190&e=11718
    Last edited by Rocketsauce; 2013-03-15 at 08:29 PM.

You don't have to use every single EF to its maximum potential, and in the tank healing role the main reason you want to blanket is so not to waste potential healing on your tank, and by proxy increase the Beacon trickle, if you've gotta use another EF to tank heal then so be it, at least he's alive and you healed him with EF rather than DL

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsauce View Post
    How does this work when you're the tank healer? I'm currently the 3rd healer in my 10 man guild. I switch depending on the fight, but when I do heal (which seems more and more these days) I am strictly a tank healer.

I try to keep EF on as many people as possible, but being the tank healer I end up using 3x EF's on a tank sometimes that already has the HoT rolling just for the regular healing portion.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I'm always like 60-75% on WoL to "rank".

But then I look at some of the logs for other holy paladins and they're either 2 healing, have way better gear, or are raid healing/EF blanketing and not tank healing.

EDIT: Wanted to add that healing is usually never a problem in our guild, it's the DPS standing in stupid stuff or tunneling(scumbagging) when they shouldn't be.

Also here's the log from our Meg attempts last night (we were 4 healing and the damage was still crushing us on the last head)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=11190&e=11718
    Have you tried 3healing and doing G-R-G-R-G-R-G? Dispel faster and less people will die from the Flame head debuff.
    Using your cooldowns more often will increase your HPS if that's what you're concerned about as you used GoAK twice and DF/AW thrice in 18 attempts .

Strict tank healers never have high HPS so obviously you need to talk to your healing officer and ask to be swapped to the swing healer who can do raid and tank healing when needed in 3heal situations. Although I've always felt 10man healing is really just a free-for-all and whoever can react the fastest (or shields the best) wins on meters.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about my HPS as much as I am about being able to beat the fight. Our monk healer usually crushes us on HPS because he's a raid healer. Part for not using cooldowns on my part is that tanks dying wasn't the problem, DPS dying was.

So I think tonight we'll work on dps reaction speed when they get the debuff or see the circle on the ground. There were quite a few times when they would get the fire debuff and stand there for 2-3 seconds before running out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont compare yourself to a monk healer, they are extremely good at raid healing. do not get discouraged if your monk healer is stomping you on fights like garalon, it is difficult for you to aoe heal that fight because everyone is spread out so you are limited to single target healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alesso View Post
    Dont compare yourself to a monk healer, they are extremely good at raid healing. do not get discouraged if your monk healer is stomping you on fights like garalon, it is difficult for you to aoe heal that fight because everyone is spread out so you are limited to single target healing.
    This is so far from the truth it isn't funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthresa View Post
    This is so far from the truth it isn't funny.
    Having played both classes last tier at the heroic level i disagree with that. jab jab uplift will easily out heal any paladin. Especially on fights where people are spread out like garalon. even if you blanket the raid with EF

Having played both classes last tier at the heroic level i disagree with that. jab jab uplift will easily out heal any paladin. Especially on fights where people are spread out like garalon. even if you blanket the raid with EF
    You obviously do no longer play the game. Jab-jab-uplift was nerfed to the ground with 5.3, with jab now featuring a 24k mana cost making it totally worthless except for proccing muscle memory.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    You obviously do no longer play the game. Jab-jab-uplift was nerfed to the ground with 5.3, with jab now featuring a 24k mana cost making it totally worthless except for proccing muscle memory.
    If you read my post it said last tier, meaning 5.1 not 5.2. I am aware of the changes. I was making an example based off the one he/she provided. Ps 5.3 hasn't come out yet, the posts are just coming in about it being on the ptr soon. So instead of being negative why not try contributing something positive to the discussion.

If you read my post it said last tier, meaning 5.1 not 5.2. I am aware of the changes. I was making an example based off the one he/she provided. Ps 5.3 hasn't come out yet, the posts are just coming in about it being on the ptr soon. So instead of being negative why not try contributing something positive to the discussion.
    I wrote 5.3 instead of 5.2 by mistake. Anyway. You use present tense, not past tense, to describe the jab-jab-uplift strategy. Paladins are parsing well above monks in throne, so using garalon as an example (a boss which is an exception even for t14, incidentally) when it's no longer relavant implies that you're not aware that it's no longer relevant. It also doesn't make any sense to use garalon as "an example based off the one he/she provided", when paladins are significanly outpreforming monks on the fight you're comparing garalon to. So excuse me if I don't believe you when you say that you know what you're talking about.

I also take exception to you accusing me of "being negative" instead of "contributing something positive to the discussion", after you assert that paladins suck compared to monks for raid healing ("Dont compare yourself to a monk healer", and "don't"do not get discouraged if your monk healer is stomping you"). Personally, I would say that paladins are easily stronger healers than monks in almost any 10 man situation (though it's a little too early to say that for sure), but even if they aren't on some fights, the difference between the classes isn't so large that you should just give up on trying to preform as well as the monk does, as you're implying he should do.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I wrote 5.3 instead of 5.2 by mistake. Anyway. You use present tense, not past tense, to describe the jab-jab-uplift strategy. Paladins are parsing well above monks in throne, so using garalon as an example (a boss which is an exception even for t14, incidentally) when it's no longer relavant implies that you're not aware that it's no longer relevant. It also doesn't make any sense to use garalon as "an example based off the one he/she provided", when paladins are significanly outpreforming monks on the fight you're comparing garalon to. So excuse me if I don't believe you when you say that you know what you're talking about.

I also take exception to you accusing me of "being negative" instead of "contributing something positive to the discussion", after you assert that paladins suck compared to monks for raid healing ("Dont compare yourself to a monk healer", and "don't"do not get discouraged if your monk healer is stomping you"). Personally, I would say that paladins are easily stronger healers than monks in almost any 10 man situation (though it's a little too early to say that for sure), but even if they aren't on some fights, the difference between the classes isn't so large that you should just give up on trying to preform as well as the monk does, as you're implying he should do.
    Monks are much more in line with other healing classes now that 5.2 is live. In 5.1 I would routinely get destroyed by our raid healing monk while I was tank healing, but it was par for the course.

Now in 5.2, it's much, much closer as to who "wins" the hps game on any given fight. Granted, he has nearly 10 more ilvl than I do, but there are some fights I do finish on top of him.

In the past week I've gotten much better at spreading around EF even if no one is currently taking damage. Trying to gauge who "usually" takes damage and trying to keep an EF up on them has helped quite a bit. Also got the 1h spirit sword and it has been quite nice, still no shield though...at this rate I'll be rocking the 2h healing mace before I get an offhand worth a damn, since I'm still using my 2/2 489 Feng fan.