• TOGC

27 9.34%
  • ULDUAR

262 90.66%

Thread: togc or ulduar

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

togc or ulduar

of mmochamps solve this argument my friend and i are having what was a better raid togc or ulduar
    edit i am a big fan of ulduar
    Last edited by nWoMATT125; 2013-03-21 at 04:13 AM.

Concept, Story, Layout, Encounter Design... every element goes to Ulduar.

ToGC was far from innovative in story or layout. Encounter design was okay at best. Concept was lacking.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Really? I can already tell you how this poll will turn out. The response will be overwhelmingly in favor of Ulduar. You're comparing what is considered one of the highest rated raids ever (Ulduar) to one of the lowest rated (TOC).

In the end though, you're both right, because it's what you felt was better is what matters.

The fights for ToC were decent enough, but the raid itself lacked in all categories. Ulduar will win this by probably a 95% margin, it is often hailed as one of the best raids ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this a question.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm genuinely curious as to why anyone would pick TOGC who was actually there for progression. TOGC was hands down one of the most abysmal experiences I have ever had in WoW. I've been here for all of it, so that is saying something.

ToGC simply because it had no trash. Trash is only there to extend the length of time you spend raiding ion the beginning of a tier. Later it serves even less of a purpose by just being something that you mindlessly AoE. Yeah Uld had a greater story, sorry but I don't subscribe to the idea that it's hardmodes were better simply because you had to dps harder to start them or press a giant button, but I love ToGC for the simple fact I could do 20 bosses in one night and not be up until the wee hours of the morning. Though that could just be because I'm old.

Ulduar was THE best raid tier.

TOC was the worst.

...why is this a question?
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ulduar's hardmodes were this game's finest hour, hands down.

BT comes a close second.

ToGC is somewhere near the bottom with Gruul's Lair and Ruby Sanctum.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    TOGC is the worst ever raid in WoW.

ToC introduced one of my least favorite things in wow, heroic mode. I prefer one difficulty level, with the occasional twist to keep it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    ToC introduced one of my least favorite things in wow, heroic mode. I prefer one difficulty level, with the occasional twist to keep it interesting.
    Uld introduced that they just called it something different for one tier.

ulduar hands down in terms of lore, content and otherwqise just being a bad assed raid instance with an awesome optional boss, besides to me TOTGC was just filler content.

10+ Year Old Account
    HOW is this a question? I mean from a story standpoint I'm not sure Ulduar made the most sense. Oh no the Lich King is going to kill us all, what will we ever do? Let's go raid this old Titan city with the Dwarfs! Sure, it contained Yogg-Saron which was very dangerous.However, going in you did not know that.

Whereas, the "story", or at least idea, not much of a story going on, of TOGC was truly based on the WotLK story as it was supposed to be a training program; facing some of the toughest creatures in Northrend in order to prepare for venturing into the Ice Crown Citadel.

But from a raid design stand point, Ulduar had some unique Hard-Modes, it has boss fights that are still fun to do with neat mechanics and neat models. There was a lot of variation, and best of all, you did not just stand in the middle of a room. It just felt epic entering into this gigantic underground city and slowly progressing through it. Blizzard are still trying to recreate Ulduar when they release raids.
    Last edited by Noah37; 2013-03-21 at 06:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Uld introduced that they just called it something different for one tier.
    No - Ulduar was one of the few that heavily featured ACTIVATED hardmodes.

Rather than just clicking an interface button that said "OK, we're gonna ramp up the damage intake and boss HP and add some more abilities", the Ulduar hardmodes required a particular trigger within the raid itself that would dramatically change the fights. In addition, there were several "levels" of hardmode, depending on how you activated it.

For example, FL and Yogg had four different activation triggers (the towers and the Keepers respectively) that you could mix up to provide different fight scenarios, culminating in the ungodly Yogg+0 (fuck that fight. Really. Fuck it hard). Freya had three, with her Guardians. Iron Council had an "easy mode" killing the caster last, a "medium mode" killing the Runekeeper last and the "hard mode" killing the giant guy last, each rewarding progressively better loot. XT had a hardmode-check, of sorts - if you couldn't burst down the heart and activate the hardmode without wasting your Bloodlust to do so, it was clear you weren't ready for the fight. Throrim, again, required you actually pass a timed check in order to start it. Hodir's hardmode was the same fight but with a ballistic DPS and execution requirement. Mimiron had a BIG FREAKIN' RED BUTTON that was essentially "push this to get your arse handed to you!" (we used to fight for the privilege of pushing it, it was awesome).

---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 06:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Noahsmith37 View Post
    HOW is this a question? I mean from a story standpoint I'm not sure Ulduar made the most sense. Oh no the Lich King is going to kill us all, what will we ever do? Let's go raid this old Titan city with the Dwarfs! Sure, it contained Yogg-Saron which was very dangerous.However, going in you did not know that.

Whereas, the "story", or at least idea, not much of a story going on, of TOGC was truly based on the WotLK story as it was supposed to be a training program; facing some of the toughest creatures in Northrend in order to prepare for venturing into the Ice Crown Citadel.
    Did... did you not ever watch the Ulduar patch trailer?

The whole thing was about Brann Bronzebeard discovering Ulduar, finding out the shit going down and hauling arse back to the Kirin Tor to tell everyone we were in deep shit from an Old God set free and a Titan construct sent here to vaporise the planet because of it.

Whereas ToGC... "we're on the cusp of the final assault to end the threat of the Undead horde, and so far we've had our butts kicked seven ways to Sunday (lol Wrathgate, whoops), so what we're gonna do is this: we're gonna make a whole bunch of people fight some savage beasts, an Eredar Lord and a pair of Arthas' most loyal and powerful servants to find out who gets to take on the LK. Never mind that anyone who doesn't pass these trials is most likely DEAD because of them, and the fact that instead of banding together into one gigantic army to stand the best chance, we're just gonna go ahead and put the fate of the world on a tiny group of fighters."

And at the end of it, fuckin' Anub'arak turns up to say "HI GUYZ IT'S ME AGAIN JUST WANTED TO WISH YOU LUCK IN KILLING THAT DICKWEED PS I'M PRETTY CRANKY ABOUT BEING UNDEAD SO I'M GONNA GO AHEAD AND RUIN YOUR DAY".

It made NO sense. At all. Whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    No - Ulduar was one of the few that heavily featured ACTIVATED hardmodes.

Rather than just clicking an interface button that said "OK, we're gonna ramp up the damage intake and boss HP and add some more abilities", the Ulduar hardmodes required a particular trigger within the raid itself that would dramatically change the fights. In addition, there were several "levels" of hardmode, depending on how you activated it.

For example, FL and Yogg had four different activation triggers (the towers and the Keepers respectively) that you could mix up to provide different fight scenarios, culminating in the ungodly Yogg+0 (fuck that fight. Really. Fuck it hard). Freya had three, with her Guardians. Iron Council had an "easy mode" killing the caster last, a "medium mode" killing the Runekeeper last and the "hard mode" killing the giant guy last, each rewarding progressively better loot. XT had a hardmode-check, of sorts - if you couldn't burst down the heart and activate the hardmode without wasting your Bloodlust to do so, it was clear you weren't ready for the fight. Throrim, again, required you actually pass a timed check in order to start it. Hodir's hardmode was the same fight but with a ballistic DPS and execution requirement. Mimiron had a BIG FREAKIN' RED BUTTON that was essentially "push this to get your arse handed to you!" (we used to fight for the privilege of pushing it, it was awesome).
    Good for you, you fell for it and truly believed that not killing something or not speaking with a keeper was some how more engaging than just pressing a button in the interface. Uld hardmodes were fun and engaging if you happened to activate them by accident and had never seen the fight on the PTR or in a video. Any guild that knew what they were doing knew how to activate them and it boiled down to talk to this person, dps this harder, don't kill these, or wait in the hallway another 10 seconds.

Pfh, gotta be joking. A fair poll would be something like ToC vs DS, or Ulduar vs ToT.

I honestly can't tell if I just voted in a troll poll. Ulduar was one of the finest raids this game has seen. I would honestly resubscribe if there were wotlk-only servers with naxx, ulduar, and icc tuned for ilvl ~216 (with hardmodes being tougher, duh). Even my everlasting hatred of the tank/healer/dps triangle and the raid lockout system would be put at bay for more ulduar.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Good for you, you fell for it and truly believed that not killing something or not speaking with a keeper was some how more engaging than just pressing a button in the interface. Uld hardmodes were fun and engaging if you happened to activate them by accident and had never seen the fight on the PTR or in a video. Any guild that knew what they were doing knew how to activate them and it boiled down to talk to this person, dps this harder, don't kill these, or wait in the hallway another 10 seconds.
    You're missing the point, which is this - rather than pushing an arbitrary UI button to magically make the fights harder, it was your actions in the instance and mid-fight itself which changed up the difficulty and the rewards. There was a REASON supplied in-game for the increased difficulty.

Immersion, son. Ulduar had it by the wagonload.

In spite of the hate it receives I thought ToTC was a pretty neat idea in contrast to what we have been getting since forever, it should have probably been part of a selection of instances for the tier though rather than the entirety. If that were the case I think it would have been much better received, but still no ulduar.