Oondasta favor ranged?

Does Frill Blast favor ranged classes and just make melee pointless against Oondasta?

I was in a group that took him down, melee seemed to be the only ones getting killed, and ranged classes were just fine.

Oondasta kills the raid with Spiritfire Beam. Frill blast is a 180 degree frontal blast which only hits the 1 tank tanking him. If people are dying to Frill blast that aren't the tank they're doing it wrong. Spiritfire beam will jump to targets further than 10 yards away, amplifying damage for each additional target. If the raid is spread out and no more than 2 or 3 get hit my spirit fire beam the raid damage is very manageable.

Tanks tend to die when their, or his, stacks get too high. The raid should be, in theory, taking manageable raid damage if they are properly spread out. Melee have a problem doing this, naturally. It's probably best for melee to stack 2 at a time, with no more than 10-12 in the raid. Unfortunately 3 or 4 of those probably need to be tanks. Tanks that are not tanking, must be behind the boss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Group your melee like you did for Kalecgos and/or Brutallus. Make them into a few squads that can sort out being spread out while still able to melee. If you're particularly melee-heavy, partner them up and get the pairs to stack tight. Two-four people getting hit > ten people getting hit.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

People actually use tactics for Oondasta? On my realm it's just one huge GY zerg...

Deleted
    The only reason melee die more than ranged is if they are dumb and stand at the sides of the boss, or if the tanks are dumb and turn the boss around all the time. This can kill ranged as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sweet bouncing Christ...
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Doesn't everything favour ranged?

I hate that fight so much.

"Epic Fight" Blizzard calls this. It might be, if the mechanics weren't so dumb..
    They say the boss is made for multiple raids. Good luck having multiple raids stand 10yards apart, especially melee.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Alzu View Post
    Doesn't everything favour ranged?
    Heart of Fear says hi...
    -> Blade Lord favored melee
    -> Garalon favored melee
    -> Wind Lord favored melee
    -> Amber Shaper favored melee

Quote Originally Posted by Keashaa View Post
    Heart of Fear says hi...
    -> Garalon favored melee
    Great, you named four fights. What about the other 60 bosses?

Deleted
    Heart of Fear says hi...
    -> Garalon favored melee
    Nope, melee aren't favored on those fights. Having more melee just means that all the ranged abilities will be targetted on your healers/remaining ranged, making their life worse. This is the reason why pretty much no fight actually is melee favored, the way almost every fight is designed means that bringing less melee means that less players get hit by melee mechanics, bringing less ranged just means that the remaining healers/ranged get hits by the same amount.

Garalon is the only fight that (arguably) favors melee, due to heavy cleave+movement, but some range even have that (and having several melee makes them much worse, since they'll have to kite). Wind-lord, if few ranged all the bombs get spammed on the healers, the blade isn't really easier/harder to avoid as melee. Amber-shaper is a lot of movement to kill the ambers, favors multidotting over cleave and there's the knockback from the big construct, clearly range favored fight.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-03-21 at 03:29 PM.

Does the beam actually target melee? I've only ever seen it chain from ranged to melee.

oh the boss has mechanics? gnarly lag has prevented me from seeing them cuz my last 2 kills on Sargeras-US have involved a zerg of like 300 people to the point where I die then cant rez till the boss is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Does the beam actually target melee? I've only ever seen it chain from ranged to melee.
    Yes have been the main target last kill.