Deleted

Arms Warrior - Gemming

As an Arms Warrior, would it be better to stack Strength, Crit or spread them out as evenly as possible while gemming?

I'm putting this question out there under the assumption both hit and expertise are already soft capped.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Depends on your stat weights. I personally have ~3 for strength and ~1.60 for crit. This, alongside the fact that gems give double the secondary stat compared to a primary stat (320 crit vs 160 strength), has Crit better to stack whenever compared Strength. Due to the other stat weights, (~1.2ish for both haste/mast with some margin) socket bonuses are worth it. So, yellow sockets=320 crit, red sockets=80strength/160crit, blue sockets=160hit/160crit. Mind you, this isn't the end all beat all and some combinations might be more valuable, you'd have to test yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpowerkj View Post
    Id probably stack strength
    Reason ?

/10chars

Deleted
    Crit for yellows, str/crit for reds if the socket bonus is 60 crit/STR or more per gem, hit/crit for blues if you need the hit and the bonus is 60 crit/STR or more per gem.

That's what I do, anyways.

Ask Mr. Robot. http://www.askmrrobot.com/.

Last expansion was about stacking crit, but we're back to the model where STR is king. Crit is second. Most prefer mastery over haste, but I think your style of play determines whether haste or mastery are best for you. Don't pass up on the socket bonuses.

Since everyone tends to agree that there is one right way of doing it, Blizzard needs to do what the outside programs do and have the socket tell you what gem to place in it. Gem shape might be a good way. People can still decide to put in others if they so chose.
    Last edited by GhostSkull; 2013-03-21 at 11:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSkull View Post
    Last expansion was about stacking crit, but we're back to the model where STR is king.
    No we're not, not for gemming anyway. For most people (everyone?) Strength is not worth double or more than Crit, therefore we should be gemming Crit gems because of the double stats.

10+ Year Old Account

Last expansion was about stacking crit, but we're back to the model where STR is king. Crit is second. Most prefer mastery over haste, but I think your style of play determines whether haste or mastery are best for you. Don't pass up on the socket bonuses.

Since everyone tends to agree that there is one right way of doing it, Blizzard needs to do what the outside programs do and have the socket tell you what gem to place in it. Gem shape might be a good way. People can still decide to put in others if they so chose.
    I think you missed that MoP launched some months ago :P
    Cataclysm was the expansion with stupid str gemming; now with MoP secondary stat gemming became attractive.

As for the gemming, I agree with turska three posts above me. I've seen some Warriors gemming pure haste but that's with the new RPPM trinkets and at least 2set bonus I think.
    We are as God intended. Fallible, yet capable of great things.

I've done some simming
    (NOTE: SIMMING, I do not have full BiS, 2piece tier, H/HTF version of the choice trinkets, nor the legendary meta so I can't test this. Take with a grain of salt)
    and I found that a (arms)warrior who is fully reforged/gemmed crit will do more damage than a (arms)warrior who is fully reforged/gemmed haste.

No we did not stack Crit in Cataclysm. It was all about STR. I personally go for a STR and in some cases Crit. Like turskanaattori metioned above.

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 01:32 PM ----------

Did I miss something. Haste!? Enlighten me plz? When was Haste good for Arms?
    Last edited by Gottalot; 2013-03-22 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gottalot View Post
    No we did not stack Crit in Cataclysm. It was all about STR. I personally go for a STR and in some cases Crit. Like turskanaattori metioned above.

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 01:32 PM ----------

Did I miss something. Haste!? Enlighten me plz? When was Haste good for Arms?
    If you look at many of the recent Arms t15 BiS sims, Haste has a higher stat weight than Crit. Many reasons for it, but none worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Recke View Post
    If you look at many of the recent Arms t15 BiS sims, Haste has a higher stat weight than Crit. Many reasons for it, but none worth it.
    The fact that it does more DPS with the proper gear makes it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    The fact that it does more DPS with the proper gear makes it worth it.
    Except it doesn't. There maybe a certain amount in which you'll do it, however if you do regem/reforge all the crit to haste, it's a significant dps loss. Haste only is a higher stat weight for Arms when you are in a full crit gem/reforge. If you look at the sim, it has crit gems and doesn't reforge out of crit.
    Last edited by Recke; 2013-03-22 at 01:31 PM.

Deleted
    Now I think Strength isn't at least twice as effective as Crit, therefore if its a choice between a +320 Crit gem or a +160 Strength gem I'd socket the Crit.

However if you're a JC, I think its worth using your 2 Jeweler's Facet gems as +320 Strength rather than +480 Crit, then stacking Crit everywhere else while keeping socket bonuses.

That's what I've decided to do now anyway...

As for Mastery vs. Haste - I did a simple test, and the results show that if its a question of and equal % of Mastery or Haste - Haste wins.
    I don't know if this is just stating the obvious but here goes...

You hit a boss 100 times in a fight.
    You hit for 20,000 per hit.
    You finish the fight having hit the boss for 2 million.

Mastery:
    With 25% Mastery - you have a 25% chance of hitting the boss for an extra hit for 55% damage. So that's 25 more hits, at 55% damage, that's an extra 11,000 per hit.

25 x 11,000 = 275,000

Total damage = 2,275,000

Haste:
    With 25% Haste - you attack 25% faster. So thats 125 hits instead of 100. So an extra 25 hits at 20,000 damage means:

25 x 20,000 = 500,000

Total damage = 2,500,000

BUT...

If you stack Haste or Mastery, will you end up with equal %'s either way? Probably not.
    I did a small test on my own char, by stacking Mastery I had 26.5%, and by stacking Haste I had 11.5%.
    So when doing the numbers in the same system as above...

Mastery leaves you with 2,291,500 damage
    Haste leaves you with 2,230,000 damage

Mastery won.
    Now I stack Mastery over Haste.

I dont know if this logic is horribly flawed. Its stripped down to be really basic, but I now have 1 less thing to worry about while playing my Arms warrior

Deleted
    What happened to PVP power? Thought that was better than STR atm?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galahadxs View Post
    What happened to PVP power? Thought that was better than STR atm?
    This isn't a PVP thread.