Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Warlord Zaela - Another wasted opportunity.

I've always though Garrosh has been a terribly written character. His been apart of the game for 6 years now and has yet proven to be an intriguing and well developed addition to the game. The idea has always been there. Hellscream's son. The story should write itself. It's just always been lacking consistency. Instead of writing a character, they created a plot device. He's filled a different role every expansion. During the Cataclysm he became a symbol for the Horde. A normal warrior of exceptional skill, that believes in the ideals of the Horde and to fight for those ideals. This was a reasonably well received concept. Especially during a war storyline.

In the early part of the expansion we were introduced to the disheartened Dragonmaw Clan. A group of fierce warriors that had lost its way and were being suppressed by a demonic Warlord. We (the player) become a catalyst to their cause, freeing them from their oppression and helping position a new leader to the rank of Warlord, Zaela.

Zeala, to me, becomes an interesting character straight away. A strong leader, that looked before she leaps, simply because she cares about the people she leads. Something that Garrosh had never been able to show. Zeala goes on to meet Garrosh and says;

"I don't know how Garrosh Hellscream does it. He must possess great strength to hold together a force as diverse as the Horde... I should like to know him more."

This peaked the interest of a fair few people. A love interest for Garrosh.

Yet, is this it, an idea? Or just another wasted opportunity to create depth for the younger Hellscream.

Is this a story line you'd like to of seen developed?
    Or am I just clutching at the idea of Garrosh being more then just a weapon of death?

(I progressively wrote this while drinking homebrew and waiting for dungeons. My spelling may be more off then normal)

Does he need a love interest...?

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trape View Post
    Does he need a love interest...?
    I think they planned a seed during CATA. I'm just wondering if they went in a different direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's still time. He's going to need allies in his last fight, and I'd be surprised if his supporters are all faceless mooks we've never met. Zaela has no reason to oppose him yet, especially given her high opinion of him.

But yeah, I think the Garrosh/Zaela pairing would have only taken off if they decided to take Garrosh in a more... positive direction after the Cata experiment.

It could've been a good one. I always felt like the only way to have Garrosh make sense as a character after Cataclysm would be for him to admit he honestly didn't know what he was doing as a leader. A character like Zaela could've been someone he confided in, revealing all of his shortcomings and what makes him tick.

Garrosh's biggest problem is that he doesn't feel like a real person. Beyond Nagrand he's just been a clunky, loud, inconsistent instigator of plot developments. We don't really know why he does the things he does, and something like a love interest would've been a great way to explore the deeper personal side of the character, adding a lot of depth and making him interesting.

Generally though, I don't think Blizzard are very good at utilising relationships for an appropriate storytelling purpose. Heart of the Swarm skirted around it recently, but every time a couple of characters hook up in WoW it always feel like a case of "giving them something to do", rather than a genuine, meaningful relationship that adds something to the story.

Deleted
    She's completely forgotten. Like Gorgonna.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    There's still time. He's going to need allies in his last fight, and I'd be surprised if his supporters are all faceless mooks we've never met. Zaela has no reason to oppose him yet, especially given her high opinion of him.

But yeah, I think the Garrosh/Zaela pairing would have only taken off if they decided to take Garrosh in a more... positive direction after the Cata experiment.
    Well my hope is poor Garrosh gets to live and maybe they will give him Zaela as a love interest. Think of the story for the Son of Garrosh and Zaela and Grandson of Grommash, kind've like Wrathion how to be great without being like his father.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!