Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How are you liking the linear raid style of this tier?

So, how do you like it thus far?

I thought I would hate it. While the raids in the previous tier were all linear, there were 3 raids, so you did have some choice. Obviously in this tier there is no choice. It's one boss to the next boss, always in the same order.

However, I think it's ok. I still prefer to have a bit of choice of what bosses I will be doing, but it's not as bad as I expected (mainly because I'm enjoying the encounters so far).

I like it, last tier you had to make a decision on whether to progress on heroic modes or go do another raid, which raid to progress on heroic in, and so forth. Now you have a boss in front of you and you have to figure it out. This works much better for my raid group as we can analyze one encounter at a time and have something specific expected for our raiders to research before raid.

I'm hating it, i think its one of the worse decisions they could make.

They are repeating mistakes that they already had in the past and they were able to solve, just to go back and making it again now.

Tiered raids is a mistake, it already failed in TBC and it is failing again. Less and less people are raiding each day.

WOTLK did it correct with winged instances. From naxx, to ulduar, to icc. People were able to choose their progression but in the end they had to kill the final bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of best times in a looong time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post

They are repeating mistakes that they already had in the past and they were able to solve, just to go back and making it again now.

Tiered raids is a mistake, it already failed in TBC and it is failing again. Less and less people are raiding each day.
    Stop spreading bullshit please, you obviously have no idea on what "THE PEOPLE" want, you probably killed two bosses and u whine cuz u cant see the entire content, dont worry LFR opens completly soon.

Lets not resort to personal attacks. -Azshira
    Last edited by Azshira; 2013-03-21 at 12:43 AM.

Deleted
    It's alright, I'd probably prefer wings / multiple instances simply because the tier is so huge - I liked being able to work on Heroic Empress and still have Terrace to clear as a farm night inbetween for example (and being able to cut off MV altogether), but I've no objection to them doing it this way - I was a bit worried on the first week after it took us a lengthy amount of our raid time to work through the instance, but the second week was faster, so I imagine it wont be a problem as familiarity with bosses speeds up the kills.

It's a fantastic raid tier, so I'm not going to gripe over the little things.

I liked BT, Ulduar and ICC. They were linear, but within that at certain points you can choose this boss or that boss.
    BT you could do Reliquery of Souls or Gurtogg
    Ulduar, in the first part you could do Ignis or Razorscale, then further into the instance you can do the 4 keepers in any order
    ICC you could do Rotface or festergut.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

What mistakes are they repeating? If you're going to go into a tirade against linear raids, at least tell us what you have a problem with. Note, "it's bad because it's bad. go back to when it wasn't bad" tells no one anything, and in my mind, just gets classified as pointless bitching.

For one thing, tiered raiding now means something massively different than it did in TBC. In TBC, you had guilds who never made it past karazhan because they couldn't build up enough of a raiding core to move to 25s content. At the same time, you had other guilds who couldn't move up because players just used less progressed guilds as stepping stones into more progressed guilds. Locking content firmly behind all previous tiers of content is not a model that would work in the present day.

Now, tiered all that tiered raiding means is that to move from tier 14 to 15 (and presumably 15 to 16), the transition will be easier if you gear up in the previous tier first. However, there are plenty of catch-up mechanisms between valor points, faction rewards, crafted gear, and of course LFR, that make it possible to quickly advance into the current tier.

If you're complaint is about not being able to get into terrace without killing empress, trust me, that's far less severe than the gating in TBC. Terrace and Heart of Fear have the same gear level drops, both are resonably close in difficulty. On top of that, if you really hate HoF that much, go find someone with an empress kill to open terrace for you. It shouldn't be that hard now that all tier 14 raids have been slightly nerfed anyway. Incidentally, that's something else you could never do in BC. You either had credit for the last end boss, or you didn't get into the next raid, on a character by character basis no matter what the progress of your other raid members happened to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

15+ Year Old Account

TBC was markedly different, man, due to the individual character attunement requirements.

Needed to recruit a new tank or healer to work on BT? You better damn well hope they were attuned or you'd spend a full raid night or too clearing SSC/TK/Rage. And those last bosses in T5 were cockblockers - there were heaps and heaps of people that would have been fine smashing through T6 content, except their guilds were 5/6 and 3/4 for months, so that's where they stayed. They couldn't leg-up either if they were getting tired of their guild's flagging attendance and enthusiasm, so they were literally stuck there unless a guild was willing to take them on and waste a night of their own progress with attunement.

The finest tankadin I've ever met was one of these people. We took him on with a handful of others and did two attunement nights, after they'd spent weeks and weeks getting rejected from others. But man, wqtching him beast his way through T6 and Sunwell was a joy to behold, he was just a magical tank.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Actually enjoying it, while I do somewhat prefer a winged instance the current setup isn't bad either and there have been far worse iterations of a dungeon layout.

I love it, except for the need to do daily quests for coins. Gearing up an alt and learning to play it on a competent level is hard enough already, you shouldn't have to do DAILY QUESTS to maintain relevant hardcore raid progress, its absurd.

Deleted
    I don't like the coins, It's the one part of the game where I just can't agree with how they went with it, And the sole reason I'm not playing as much as well simply because the guild I was in at the start of the expac expected far to much from many players at the start to get geared up through those bloody horrid dailies.

I sincerely don't understand what the fuss is about the linear raids and winged ones. You still have to kill all the previous bosses to reach the end one and it's not like the road blocks (on normal) are miles ahead in difficulty compared to consecutive ones. I couldn't care less if I had the option to start with Durumu, Megaera or Iron Qon...

The only problem I see with t15 vs t14 is for guilds on shorter raid schedules. for example, my guild raids 8 hours a week. To full clear ToT, we have to kill trash and boss in under 40 minutes each time which is fine when you full clear already but when you are progressing, it limits what you can do. Last tier, if you got stuck on a boss, you just went to another instance. You could also extend one raid and reset the others. If we extended at say Primordius, we are missing out on a lot of loot in order to progress. Also, think when we hit heroic modes. We will have to spend little time progressing because it takes so much time to full clear the raid for more gear.

sure eventually you have to say, do you really need more gear to progress but at current stage in the new tier, that really isn't an option.

Deleted
    its only linear on normal... on heroic you can skip 1->10 if you want.

love it. you just zone in and keep working on whatever you were up to. no flying around to different instances, or trying to decide which we should be doing

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm not really sure tbh, on the one hand its nice to just have 1 place, no doubt on where to go eexcept forward. on the other hand the seperate raids were a big advantage for my own guild for instance, we run 2x 10 men with groups that COULD mix in the various lockouts.

furthermore, you have so much to clear before you can actually progress. not just 2 or 3 bosses, but upto 11 with FUCKLOADS of trash. i can imagine a farm clear can still take more then one raid night (thinking aprox 3 hours here).

i like the massiveness of the place, the design is nice and so far i like the bosses, but seperate wings would give a bit more freedom of choise (okey guys, group 1 goes instance or wing A for farm, group 2 goes instance or wing B for progress) dunno, it feels less grindy if you get more flexability like that.

i really liked the way tier 14 was set up and opend up. 1 group farm ToES normal, other group progress MGV heroic for example.

both have there up sides, but in the end, having to grind through 7 or 8 bosses you dont really need stuff from to get to the good part is really kinda time wasting.

I do like the idea of one boss to progress on and no decisions that need to be made, but I can see there being issues later on for my guild. We only raid 2 nights a week. For now I think we won't have a problem getting to progression on our first night of raiding, as we only got 6/12 down last week. The farther we get into the instance the harder that will be. Heroic progression is almost worse because you do your progression at the beginning and have to give up at some point and finish the other bosses.

Eh, we will make do and I really do like ToT so far. I'm just thinking it might get to be logistically more difficult than dealing with the 18 bosses in 3 instances of T14.