Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's entirely possible it's the card, too. Can you test the card in another system temporarily? A friends?
    I could possibly try it in my step brothers system. Also, on the spec page for the card it says 'Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products' yet my PSU is not on there... more reason to believe that is the problem? Also, would ALL drivers have to be 100% removed for my new card to work...just incase i missed some.

You can try driver fusion, previously known as driver sweeper. Install it, Boot to safe mode, and then run it. Turn your comp off, install the new card, start your computer.

If it has 2 12v rails and one is 15 and the other is 16 we should do some math on it. 15*12=180W 16*12=192W. His GPU will draw 300W on full power right? Not sure, didn't check specs. None of the 2 rails delivers enough for the graphics card.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    If it has 2 12v rails and one is 15 and the other is 16 we should do some math on it. 15*12=180W 16*12=192W. His GPU will draw 300W on full power right? Not sure, didn't check specs. None of the 2 rails delivers enough for the graphics card.
    Im taking the card to my brothers tomorrow after work. He has a decent comp and and a better PSU. If it works on his, i'm able to go to a local store to pick up a corsair 600w PSU from just round the corner.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/corsai...36915-pdt.html
    Last edited by mmocfcc53be431; 2013-03-21 at 11:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    did you change your bios boot settings to reflect the new primary video driver??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    did you change your bios boot settings to reflect the new primary video driver??
    Nope? 1st time upgrading my gpu. and RMA?

If you take it to your brothers and it doesn't work there, you've most likely gotten a brick. The PSU theory doesn't have to be correct even though it's almost 100% likely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    If you take it to your brothers and it doesn't work there, you've most likely gotten a brick. The PSU theory doesn't have to be correct even though it's almost 100% likely.
    Cheers man. Nice to have some reassurance on the issue instead of feeling like i've wasted £250. Long as i get it sorted for Bioshocks release i'll be happy

Deleted
    @OP: Sorry about confusing you earlier. My gigabyte WF3 has 2x 6pin connectors. Same thing I found when googling. I had no idea there were different versions.

Can you tell us what CPU/Mobo you have? Perhaps you can get into windows with onboard video. Reason I'm saying that is that I didn't get a picture when changing from my 6670 to 7950 either. Turned out to be a driver issue, while I, much like you, suspected it was my PSU. Because I could get into windows using the on-board graphics, I was able to get catalyst control center to recognize my new card and it fixed my issues.

My topic about it, for reference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    @OP: Sorry about confusing you earlier. My gigabyte WF3 has 2x 6pin connectors. Same thing I found when googling. I had no idea there were different versions.

Can you tell us what CPU/Mobo you have? Perhaps you can get into windows with onboard video. Reason I'm saying that is that I didn't get a picture when changing from my 6670 to 7950 either. Turned out to be a driver issue, while I, much like you, suspected it was my PSU. Because I could get into windows using the on-board graphics, I was able to get catalyst control center to recognize my new card and it fixed my issues.

My topic about it, for reference.
    I know I have an i5... not sure off top of my head the other details. My mobo is linked further back somewhere jn this thread. I removed all drivers that I know of including ccc... was this right? Perhaps you could tell me how you removed all your drivers when you installed your 7950.. just to make sure ive not missed anything.... as I wouldnt be surprised if its also a driver issue.
    Last edited by mmocfcc53be431; 2013-03-22 at 12:36 PM.

Deleted
    I didn't do an insanely thorough driver clean. I removed my drivers 'the regular way', but nothing special.

Afterwards, I stuck the card in, got no image. Used onboard video to boot into windows with the new card in it, and I let catalyst control center solve the issue by detecting the new hardware. It automatically got the drivers I needed. Simple switch in the BIOS to go from onboard video to the 7950, done.

Hence my question what cpu/mobo combo you have. Perhaps you can try the same. I noticed what motherboard you have, sorry that I missed that earlier. It has onboard VGA, so if you have a CPU that has integrated graphics in it, you're set to try the solution I just described, which solved my issues for me. Let me know as soon as you find out what version of the i5 you have. (Alternatively, try hooking up your monitor to the VGA port on the motherboard and see if you get picture.)

Deleted
    Have you tried changing the BIOS switch on the card to the second one? Flick the switch (should be near Crossfire connector) and it will probably work. Have encountered this issue myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everoth View Post
    Have you tried changing the BIOS switch on the card to the second one? Flick the switch (should be near Crossfire connector) and it will probably work. Have encountered this issue myself.
    Didnt even know it existed... shall look when I get home. And my cpu is i5 2300. at work at the min so trying to reply best I can

Deleted
    That CPU has the Intel HD 2000 graphic controller embedded. So you can definitely try the method I suggested.

If you end up getting a picture before windows loads, but a black screen after that, you'll want to go into your BIOS. Inside there, somewhere, you can set which graphics card it should be using. PCI-E = 7950, on-board = the one inside your cpu. Change it to the one inside your cpu. Once in windows, download a new version of catalyst control center from the AMD website after selecting your card, and install it. Hopefully, it recognizes your hardware. If it does, all you need to do is reboot, go back into the bios, and change the option back to 'PCI-E'.

Oh, and don't forget to plug the video cable into the on-board port instead of the graphics card. I forgot that and spent a good 15 minutes searching why I wasn't getting a picture.

If this suggestion doesn't help, let us know and we'll continue the search!

Deleted
    That CPU has the Intel HD 2000 graphic controller embedded. So you can definitely try the method I suggested.

If you end up getting a picture before windows loads, but a black screen after that, you'll want to go into your BIOS. Inside there, somewhere, you can set which graphics card it should be using. PCI-E = 7950, on-board = the one inside your cpu. Change it to the one inside your cpu. Once in windows, download a new version of catalyst control center from the AMD website after selecting your card, and install it. Hopefully, it recognizes your hardware. If it does, all you need to do is reboot, go back into the bios, and change the option back to 'PCI-E'.

Oh, and don't forget to plug the video cable into the on-board port instead of the graphics card. I forgot that and spent a good 15 minutes searching why I wasn't getting a picture.

If this suggestion doesn't help, let us know and we'll continue the search!
    So I should remove all drivers... go into my bios and use on board video card.... start up... install the drivers that came with ny card... then restart mu comp and change bios settings to use new card?.... but how do I change my bios settings if I cant see anything on screen? using my old gpu?
    Last edited by mmocfcc53be431; 2013-03-22 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    So I should remove all drivers... go into my bios and use on board video card.... start up... install the drivers that came with ny card... then restart mu comp and change bios settings to use new card?.... but how do I change my bios settings if I cant see anything on screen? using my old gpu?
    You plug the monitor into the video output on the motherboard back panel instead of the graphics card.

Deleted
    Pretty sure its a PSU problem. I think i didn't describe it too well when i spoke of Black screen. Tried using bios via Mobo vid card with GPU connected via power...no use. Took power cables out of GPU... turned comp on and we got screen start up using mobo board. When i spoke of black screen, i would turn comp on, it would start (could hear the power in the system) but it didn't beep or anything as if it was getting to BIOS screen. I think i just don't have enough power to power my Mobo, I5, GPU and 500gig Hd all at the same time.

Deleted
    Meh, all fingers are pointing at the PSU now, yeah.

Perhaps you can visit a local computer shop (or a tech savvy family member), use a multimeter and see what condition the PSU is in. They degrade over time.

Deleted
    Meh, all fingers are pointing at the PSU now, yeah.

Perhaps you can visit a local computer shop (or a tech savvy family member), use a multimeter and see what condition the PSU is in. They degrade over time.
    Well i've bought a nice 650watt OCZ PSU (getting it tomorrow). My 500w psu is about 2 years old and has had ALOT of use (on my computer nearly every day) so, fingers crossed! Thanks for your help guys. I'll post back tomorrow once i've fitted my new PSU and see if its worked. If not.... i've got a nice new PSU