Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You need to learn the difference between debt and budget surplus.
    That's like asking members of Congress to understand that the debt ceiling is not about increasing the debt.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I always love people that think the surplus is automatically added to paying off debt.

LOL, I know the difference it seems you dont. You see, if you have a budget surplus which Clinton claims to have, you would think it would have been used to pay down the debt. If you have a budget surplus and the debt still increases then what happened to the surplus?

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 12:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I always love people that think the surplus is automatically added to paying off debt.
    Then where did it go?

so the us has been in the reds since over 200 years and is still spending more than they earn?

hmm, why cant i do that too?

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Then where did it go?
    Into the coffers.

Into the coffers.
    What coffers?

Deleted
    Not enough domestic government revenue (ie. should tax more, borrow less).
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2013-03-22 at 05:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then where did it go?
    Hookers & blow? The main thing it went to was tax cuts from Bush Jr.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

What coffers?
    The Federal Reserve?

You know, the national banking system of our government?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robutt View Post
    Not domestic government revenue (ie. should tax more, borrow less).
    Depends on what the cost of borrowing is. Right now it's really low. There is an argument to be made for borrowing more and lowering taxes to grow the economy.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    That's like asking members of Congress to understand that the debt ceiling is not about increasing the debt.
    It puzzles me when graphs and data are provided, which are even official govt source, and someone stumbles in with a comment outright denying these facts.

That's when that sudden urge to run with the head against the next closest wall comes to mind. lol

The Federal Reserve?

You know, the national banking system of our government?
    Oh so you are saying that the excess went to the Federal Reserve instead of paying down the debt? So why even keep track of the national debt? Find me a source for your claim.

Oh so you are saying that the excess went to the Federal Reserve instead of paying down the debt? So why even keep track of the national debt? Find me a source for your claim.
    You know that without a measure from Congress, additional funds don't get spent to pay down the debt, right?

It puzzles me when graphs and data are provided, which are even official govt source, and someone stumbles in with a comment outright denying these facts.

That's when that sudden urge to run with the head against the next closest wall comes to mind. lol
    If there was a budget surplus then why did the national debt still increase? It can only increase if we spent more then we budgeted right? Explain how we can have a budget surplus yet still spend more then we budgeted.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there was a budget surplus then why did the national debt still increase? It can only increase if we spent more then we budgeted right? Explain how we can have a budget surplus yet still spend more then we budgeted.
    Because Congress opted to not spend the surplus on the debt. Most of it went to tax refunds.

-Kujako-

Obama, that and pointless "wars" (if you even want to call it that, seems like an occupation to me)
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

You know that revenue in a budget is only projected right? And that actual revenues (especially in a time of economic boom) can exceed projections, right?

Perhaps you should learn a thing or two about government finance before posting further.

You know that without a measure from Congress, additional funds don't get spent to pay down the debt, right?
    And? If there was a BUDGET SURPLUS and it was used on something else then the national debt would not have increased right?

And? If there was a BUDGET SURPLUS and it was used on something else then the national debt would not have increased right?
    You really aren't grasping this whole "it takes an Act of Congress to spend" thing are you? Nor projected versus actual revenues.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a percentage of GDP, it did decrease. But Congress did not stop borrowing money.

-Kujako-