Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so you would rather we switch governments so you can have the freedom to.....sip a large soda? you can already do that in 99% of the cities in america i dont see what your getting at with that last example?
    I don't want to switch governments at all, I was just pointing out that every government always has a wacko with a radical vision. Libertarians don't want 100% deregulation to the point where we're all making $1.50 an hour while a handful are absurdly rich, or something; at best, that's the radical vision of their particular wackos who yell loud enough to be heard by the media. Believe it or not, there's something between a vast federal government with it's nose in every single aspect of American life, and the complete abolition of the US federal government. That goes for everyone and all political systems/beliefs, not just libertarians or those who oppose libertarians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafffles View Post
    I don't want to switch governments at all, I was just pointing out that every government always has a wacko with a radical vision. Libertarians don't want 100% deregulation to the point where we're all making $1.50 an hour while a handful are absurdly rich, or something; at best, that's the radical vision of their particular wackos who yell loud enough to be heard by the media. Believe it or not, there's something between a vast federal government with it's nose in every single aspect of American life, and the complete abolition of the US federal government. That goes for everyone and all political systems/beliefs, not just libertarians or those who oppose libertarians.
    okay wasnt sure what your were advocating there. i personally think some of the laws being passed right now in new york city are silly. all those laws that one guy is trying to pass banning this and that. can't remember his name he was on the daily show.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Flip that around then -- we have history to show us what happened the last time the economy was ran that way. What information can you point to to show that those same things won't just happen again? Other than "Welp. We should try it again, maybe it won't happen exactly the same way again."

Especially after you see exactly what big business has done since Hayak-style deregulation began in the 1970s:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pr..._1947-2009.png

Increased earnings has mostly came out of milking profits out of labor, instead of properly compensating themselves for the increased productivity.

Heck, the current economic collapse came to a head due to deregulation of the market. Lack of oversight, etc.
    My attempt to defend my original point is going astray: I agree with you entirely, and I oppose a completely free-reigned economy. My original point was simply that the libertarians cannot be distilled into Robber Baron idolaters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafffles View Post
    My attempt to defend my original point is going astray: I agree with you entirely, and I oppose a completely free-reigned economy. My original point was simply that the libertarians cannot be distilled into Robber Baron idolaters.
    When they complain that the -present- situation is too much regulation, I daresay you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    No, but people will think twice about buying two.
    People that want more soda will just get a refill or buy more in bulk.

Businesses would simply just sell more in bulk if there was a demand for more as a result of there being less per serving.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    When they complain that the -present- situation is too much regulation, I daresay you can.
    Gary Johnson campaigned as the libertarian presidential candidate, so I'd say he's a decent example of a real libertarian's positions. He believes in a free economy; he also supports unions, environmentalism and the EPA, and opposes any changes to entitlement programs that would alienate or remove current beneficiaries. Does that sound like someone who wants to see people starving on the streets?