Unholy vs Frost for Leveling from levels 70-90

So just getting back to my Death Knight since WTLK and was wondering which is the better spec for leveling via questing and in dungeons?

I found Unholy to be really OP during the TBC dungeons and BGs. Blood Boil was buffed. I remember how terrible this ability was back in the day. I would actually hate using it cause of its meager damage. But I really like the Rolling Blood talent.

So just a general question as to which spec is better overall for questing and which one in dungeons?

I am currently using my 2-H Heirloom till Cataclysm. Will probably pick up another weapon after that through quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say go blood tbh, i leveld a alt dk and blood is just extremely strong.

Frost all the way; More burst, both in AoE and single target, perfect for leveling.

Thanks guys for all your answers. I have to say Unholy is pretty OP from what I've tried so far. Diseases do decent damage and Death Siphon was really buffed and is really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiizper View Post
    I say go blood tbh, i leveld a alt dk and blood is just extremely strong.
    I remember leveling as Blood back in the day during WTLK and I remember how boring it was for the most part. Sure you don't die, but spamming Death Strike is boring after a while.

Deleted
    While i had been advocating frost just until recently, my last dk lvling resulted in following:
    Blood > Frost until 75, as before that you wont really have enough ressources to do enough dmg as frost
    Blood >= Frost until 85. Purely single target, 2-h frost will burst targets down more quickly, but most of the time you will be able to pull several mobs together. ue to the insane amount of damage blood boil does atm in lower levels, Blood will be pretty much the best choice
    85-90: no idea right now, will be tackling that soon :O

Note: Always use blood boil as blood dk. Dont bother using Heart Strike. As mentioned above, even single target, blood boil dmg together with rolling blood is just over the top
    Last edited by mmoc4b8d679785; 2013-03-21 at 11:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    Thanks guys for all your answers. I have to say Unholy is pretty OP from what I've tried so far. Diseases do decent damage and Death Siphon was really buffed and is really strong.

I remember leveling as Blood back in the day during WTLK and I remember how boring it was for the most part. Sure you don't die, but spamming Death Strike is boring after a while.
    You don't even have to worry about Death Strike. Just spam Blood Boil and you'll cleave everything down in your pathway.

Seriously, don't make the same mistake I did by going blood DK. Sure, it's really fast lvling by spamming dungeons/going with premades while literally doing 60 to 70% of the party's damage done, but it gets really, really, REALLY, REALLY boring after awhile because there's no challenge at all.

Edit: If I were to suggest you a spec to play, I'd say go either Unholy or Frost depending on which seems most interesting to you. Unfortunately though Unholy is kinda poor up until lvl 70. And even then it's somehwhat lackluster until lvl 80 when you unlock Mastery.

Oh, don't forget getting the Glyph of Dark Succor. It gives you a free death strike after you kill a mob and gain experience which will heal ou for 20% of your HP. It's EXTREMELY helpful, and quite mandatory if you're going to quest as both frost and unholy.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2013-03-22 at 01:01 AM.

Just recently leveled a DK on a new realm and i went blood. Up until lvl 80 death siphon and blood boil hit considerably harder then anything else and i found blood to be the best spec for getting death runes for death siphon.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    frost 2H for me. problem with unholy for levelling is, you will do a minor amount of damage, then youll transform your ghoul, melt everything, then go back to do lackluster damage.

2H frost on the other hand can one-shot mobs with a KM oblit consitently

I levelled a DK as blood and as unholy... And to be honest: Blood felt immortal, but slow. Unholy was nice and active. Tried some frost, and came to the conclusion that, while Frost's (burst) damage was tremendous, it felt so, so, sóóó slow...

I'd recommend Unholy. Purely for fun factor. Take a Blood offspec for soloing elite quests and areas that allow you to round up veritable armies of NPC's.

Unholy is a pretty crappy leveling spec, 2h frost with Dark Succor glyph or Blood are where it's at.

Go blood spec and solo level 70 dungeons till 80. At that point go whichever spec feels the most fun for you, because level 80-90 is the longest portion of the leveling process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joharic View Post
    Go blood spec and solo level 70 dungeons till 80. At that point go whichever spec feels the most fun for you, because level 80-90 is the longest portion of the leveling process.
    I simply queued LFD from 60 to 80. Didn't know soloing lvl 70 dungeons would be quicker though. I did solo mop dungeons from 86 to 90 though.

But like I said earlier. If you don't want to get extremely bored with your DK so soon, I really wouldn't recommend going blood. Not only will it be quite confusing once you hit lvl 80 and beyond because you're used to one shotting everything, you'll also not get used to the other two specs if you enjoy playing a DPS spec more.