Shadowcraft no dps??

Shadowcraft has been acting funny for me the last two days. it will load up my character and gear but when it goes to give me the dps calc it seems to get stuck and i don't get a number. all the other buttons work and let me select and change things but it doesn't give a dps report no matter what i do. Has anyone else been having this problem and found a solution?

Have the same problem on multiple computers. I have restarted, cleared cookies, and tried multiple toons with no change. You are not alone.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Deleted
    I think its a problem of the shadowcraft's website bandwith.
    At around 22pm GMT it almost never showed the DPS. Now 7 hours later it works flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    I think its a problem of the shadowcraft's website bandwith.
    At around 22pm GMT it almost never showed the DPS. Now 7 hours later it works flawlessly.
    Yeah same problem. Only appears to be peak hours. Just check during non peak raiding hours

Bandwidth isn't the issue. The issue is server side CPU usage.

So.... CPU bandwidth.

I personally don't like using the term "bandwidth" to describe CPU usage (I prefer the term throughput, bandwidth is usually reserved for communications throughput, especially when dealing with client-server topology, such as web servers). It's getting a bit off topic though.

"CPU bandwidth" is not correct. That's like saying "what's your bandwidth at work". You are misusing the term.

Throughput can work. I would go with shadowboy's "CPU usage". The P in CPU is processing, and if you are waiting on that, it is very much not bandwidth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure you are using the correct engine, 5.2

I'm missing something here.

Bandwidth is the total flow capacity for something. A CPU's bandwidth is it's capacity to receive, calculate, and export data. Throughput is the same thing, it's the maximum amount of content passing through a system. If you can use the word bottleneck, or throttle, then bandwidth and throughput both apply.
    Last edited by Pathal; 2013-03-22 at 07:04 PM.

Nerds!

Yesterday it was slow, but was eventually functioning. MUCH more responsive today.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/290-Computer if you want to talk bandwith, computer processing power, or terminology.

For ShC: I'm pretty sure the issue was server-side, and as of mid-day yesterday, DPS was calculating normally, just with a significant delay. Why it doesn't tell your computer to do the calculations, I'm not sure, but I can't complain because I need a new computer as it is.

Adding anothe rlayer of complexity to the discussion - new trinkets and the new stats system that has built up wioth MoP makes calculation much more complicated than before.

Think TBC - you were going hit, then the other stats. Now every piece of gear changing has repercussions on your reforge and this means more calculations.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    Why it doesn't tell your computer to do the calculations, I'm not sure, but I can't complain because I need a new computer as it is.
    The engine was done in Python, and AFAIK the only interpreter that could even pull off browser side computing of python code would be "skulpt". I'm not sure how efficient their code is, I haven't tried it before, and I didn't design shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com, but running an interpreter through an interpreted language (javascript) in a (typically) sand-boxed browser process sounds obnoxiously slow and inefficient.

There's always the option of something like silverlight, or even a java applet (not javascript, but java). A lot of scripting languages are compiled at runtime anymore (and python is an example of such a language). A sun java applet would compile at runtime and assuming the end user has java installed for their browser, it would be seamless.

For example, wowreforge.com uses silverlight to do client-side reforge calculation.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2013-03-22 at 07:59 PM.

Eh, at this point I'd rather not port the engine over to a new language. At the beginning of Mists I would have been willing (I kinda wanted to get it working in Java but there wasn't quite enough interest).

Python is easier for people to read too.

Readability is more a function of style and not language, imo. Most code I've seen is drastically under-commented, regardless of language.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry I brought up computer-side calcs! Thanks for the explanation of why it doesn't, but I think we can leave it here, as far as this thread goes. If anyone wanted to re-write the program or the way it interfaces with user-computers, I'd recommend getting a thread going in the computer discussion forum and posting a link to it here so interested rogue parties can come help out if qualified.

Otherwise, we should probably say "it's all covered" unless shadowcraft stops posting DPS again or someone has further questions.