Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Barrage over GT single target?

What are peoples thoughts behind using Barrage instead of GT for single target encounters?

Any master theorycrafters care to share? I've seen couple of people doing it and was curious as to why.

My feeling/theory/not-based-in-math intuition is that any fight with any predictable, regular AoE, Barrage might be even or ahead of GT. I currently use Barrage on Horridon, on Lei Shen ball lightning, and that's it. I might switch to it on Ji-kun if I'm on the nest team, but honestly in 10 man IDK that there's enough eggs to justify it. Also thinking of using it on Tortos, as well as Durumu heroic (once we get there).

I know there are two advantages:

1) You will always fire in the cone in front of you, so you can adjust where you fire it by moving your character. Additionally, you will keep firing on your original target as long as he's not completely behind you. So what you can do is cast it on your main target and then move your character so that his frontal one is facing another set of mobs and hit both.

2) Apparently it procs Stormlash a lot. I havent ever tested it or seen any math on how much though.

That said, it sims as a clear DPS loss for single target and I have no idea why some top hunters use it on those fights.
    Last edited by Conando; 2013-03-20 at 01:24 PM.

I think it has to do with the RRPM trinket system thats in place. Barrage does 8 attacks within a couple of seconds, and around 16 from my count with rapid fire. Every attack you do increases the chance for the trinket to proc again. This could also be the reasoning why a lot of top hunters are stacking haste over mastery now.

Please post links of said "top" hunters stacking haste. I'm just curious as to their general reforging priorities so I can compare it to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocherend View Post
    I think it has to do with the RRPM trinket system thats in place. Barrage does 8 attacks within a couple of seconds, and around 16 from my count with rapid fire. Every attack you do increases the chance for the trinket to proc again. This could also be the reasoning why a lot of top hunters are stacking haste over mastery now.
    As far as I am aware, RPPM has nothing to do with how many attacks you do, since it is based off of time, not number of attacks. Not really sure though.

Also, yes barrage + stormlash is very powerful, but without a haste cooldown up a 2.7+ second channel seems to not be worth it. Also, it's not like stormlash is up for every barrage.

Devai in paragon for one stacks Crit > haste > mastery http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...devai/advanced

@Cidis I think you're right about RPPM being based on time and not hits as well. Looking at the formula it makes sense. I read this part of the trinket post awhile back and read it as every hit you do that does not proc the trinket increases the chance of the next hit.

" Every time your trinket fails to proc, it increases the chance it will proc. " But the formula only really takes time into consideration

Devai in paragon for one stacks Crit > haste > mastery http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...devai/advanced
    He also have 2 RPPM trinkets + the 2pc, so he has plenty of RPPM proccs to modify with his haste, so it makes sense to switch to haste once you have trinkets/2pc.

Rogerbrown from Method is also doing crit > haste > mastery in SV. As is Pottm, Method's other hunter.

Deleted
    Lookin at the top players at the moment might not be the best idea ever due to the WF race going on.

Anyone pulled Tortus with Barrage whilst doing the trash in that room yet ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthorn View Post
    I did xDDD

Quote Originally Posted by Windthorn View Post
    Ha..!

That is the reason we always have the trash pulled up to the little platform above the Tortos room.

I did lol when I did it, made sure my back was to tortos the next time, still funny though.

@Cidis I think you're right about RPPM being based on time and not hits as well. Looking at the formula it makes sense. I read this part of the trinket post awhile back and read it as every hit you do that does not proc the trinket increases the chance of the next hit.

" Every time your trinket fails to proc, it increases the chance it will proc. " But the formula only really takes time into consideration
    There are 2 parts to RPPM mechanics to take into account.

1) The longer you go without making an attack with a chance to proc, the higher your proc chance becomes (up to a max of 10 sec, this is the part that prevents attack frequency from having a significant impact on uptime)

2) If you go more than 50% past the expected average time to proc without a proc, the chance to proc keeps going up on each attack until you successfully proc (frequently referred to as the bad luck protection). This effect will usually be in place at the start of a fight as well, making the first proc likely to happen very early in the fight.

I'd like to mention that Barrage also does not seem to be granted decreased casting speed from the 10% raid haste buff. Quite strange, not sure if intentional.

Deleted
    I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it to use Barrage in my case specifically. The ''problem'' I'm facing at the moment is that my gear is quite mediocre for this tier as I'm using heroic tier 14 gear with a few offpieces. I'm also using a heroic thunderforged weapon from Throne of Thunder. This results in my damage being quite high (which benefits Barrage) but attack power being quite low (which is what benefits Glaive Toss).

I haven't really done the math just yet because I find it rather unlikely Barrage will pull ahead of Glaive Toss regardless of the circumstances, but maybe these top players have a situation like me as well.

I am assuming these top players are already playing with a Renataki's trinket. Using a high damage long cooldown ability near the end of that trinket will result in a bigger gain. Powershot will be the most obvious one but that is very difficult to time exactly right with the long cooldown and the randomness of the trinket. Barrage might be a bit of a middle ground.

All in all I think most of what I typed up above is just hot air. Maybe those top players just like messing with people who look at their logs or armory and assume it's the new best thing. Much like how I threw spirit gems in my Fangs of the Father when I first got them just to have a laugh at all the people thinking I found some new overpowered exploit. Who knows, only way to find out is to ask them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyflu View Post
    Lookin at the top players at the moment might not be the best idea ever due to the WF race going on.
    That really only applies to tanks/healers. DPS are still just trying to do top DPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Urdaddyshunter View Post
    Please post links of said "top" hunters stacking haste. I'm just curious as to their general reforging priorities so I can compare it to mine.
    Mastery is BM prio. Haste has always been better than Mastery for SV.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlaena View Post
    Mastery is BM prio. Haste has always been better than Mastery for SV.
    Only in single target that is. And BM still has Crit as prio.