Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I look down on people that don't use DBM or some equivalent. That's pretty much it.
    I think DBM dumbed ppls, i got countless wipes on different encounters just because my guild raiders complain their dbm counted wrong on their debuffs or spells or w/e
    when they could have just looked at the cast bar or debuffs or w/e.
    OT: i use standard ui too and i like it because it's clean but i also use recount and few other addons but no addon for design or to change my bars.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't give in to those nutbags. The only mandatory addons for me is Prat, DBM, Recount, SellJunk, BankItems, Auctionator and Atlastloot and some class specific addon of choice to keep track of some essentials.
    No need for flashy stuff all over the place or some fancy UIs...

Good thing is everything works as designed with the default UI. No problem between patches with disfunctional addons.

I love how every person praising the default UI caveats it with all the addons they changed from the default UI, because it's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    LOL, no they can't. What a completely retarded defense. Furthermore, the point is not that it's impossible to drive without a speedometer, it's that it's -- obviously -- less accurate. Just like using timers vs *guessing* how long an effect will last. Sorry, really retarded line of thinking you have going on. Figure it out.
    Most people driving in real-world conditions attempt to approximately match the speed of the cars around them, rather than constantly check the speedometer and make micro-adjustments. The former is a trait of an experienced driver. The latter is a trait of a novice. As a matter of fact, driving with too much focus on instrumentation distracts situational awareness from the actual road conditions, which slows reaction times to such things as stalled traffic, accidents, ice patches, people driving on the wrong side of the road and so forth, which are outside normal parameters.

This is actually a pretty good analogy. Hm.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Most people driving in real-world conditions attempt to approximately match the speed of the cars around them, rather than constantly check the speedometer and make micro-adjustments. The former is a trait of an experienced driver. The latter is a trait of a novice. As a matter of fact, driving with too much focus on instrumentation distracts situational awareness from the actual road conditions, which slows reaction times to such things as stalled traffic, accidents, ice patches, people driving on the wrong side of the road and so forth, which are outside normal parameters.

This is actually a pretty good analogy. Hm.
    Still no reason to drive with the speedometer on the passenger seat side.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    Still no reason to drive with the speedometer on the passenger seat side.
    Only british (and australian?) cars are built like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skez View Post
    I don't care what UI people use as long as they do their job and they do it good enough.
    Agree with you

I use the default action bars but other than that I find default UI very lacking. I find power auras, need to know etc very useful for tracking buffs, debuffs, spell casts and procs etc.

Then there's things like cast bar addons and I don't really know how you can interrupt efficiently if your only indicator of a cast is the castbar on the target frame (which by default is near the top left of your screen and very far out of your normal field of view if you are watching the floor etc under your character) or name plates which you can't really see when the name plate is above a very large mobs head and so off your screen.

The stuff i've mentioned above are just a few examples of how default UI can handicap you but I could probably think of dozens if I thought about it for a while. They are things that you might only realise when you've tried something better... I used the default UI all the way through till the end of BC and it was only after I started experimenting away from it that I realised how inefficient it was.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2013-03-23 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    default ui is nice and clear, with some small tweaks you get all information you'll ever want. Now for custom ui's, most ppl go full retard with it which result in total clusterfuck of bars / timers / icons allover the screen ^^ + updating / configuring everything with each patch is annoying.

blizz ui 4 life

I heal with 100% default blizzard UI. I use DBM, Recount and some other flavor addons but that is it.

It works just fine for me and I am a damn good healer without relying on Vuhdoo and 50 other healing addons.

Healing with your brain instead of letting and addon tell you what to heal? Genius

I don't give a crap what people use, but personally I Like a minimalist setup and I dont think the default UI provides that.

I like shadowed unit frames, bartender4. Other than that its just preference, bigwigs vs dbm etc. (Found DBM had buggy timers in Heart of Fear).

10+ Year Old Account
    i have always used the default ui. dont care what people think about me only using the default ui. i think its a pretty good ui. all those other ui addons are sort of confusing to me.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    In what way exactly ?
    As a mage.

* Can't keep proper track of cooldowns
    * can't keep proper track of dots
    * Can't keep track of bombs
    * can't keep track of ticks left on nether tempest to refresh it before it drops off
    * Can't check when your Frostbomb is about to detonate

Show me one mage in a top 100 raiding guild that doesn't use at least some addons. The best part is Mage probably needs them less than other classes.

I personally use quality of life addons + Unit Frames b/c Blizzards Unit frames are not good, and I can't customize them to be more simple.

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 05:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Malcor View Post
    I heal with 100% default blizzard UI. I use DBM, Recount and some other flavor addons but that is it.

It works just fine for me and I am a damn good healer without relying on Vuhdoo and 50 other healing addons.

Healing with your brain instead of letting and addon tell you what to heal? Genius
    Vuhdo doesn't tell you how to heal. It offers more customization over the default blizzard UI. Allowing healers and raid members to tailor the frames to meet their needs so they can become a better healer through familiarity and muscle memory.

Raiding without addons, is like trying to be a professional athlete and not using all the advanced training techniques and equipment offered to you. Instead deciding just doing pushups and situps is enough to compete at the highest level.

It's not.

Deleted
    Nothing wrong with default UI but the others just help u more

Quote Originally Posted by Exileos View Post
    It does work like that.
    That "awareness" you think you get is probably a placebo, especially if your raid leader expects you to know to know strict timers. It'll be within a bigger margin of error than having the exact same timers of your raid leader.
    Again, personal preferences and fluffy placebos. Previously raiding with a bunch of stupids, timers were crucial when our raid leader couldn't call every dangerous spell out. Kinda helped that some other officers could agree on what each of us called out to ease the tension.
    Just 1 fail in your ohh so perfect world..... addon timer, be it DBM or what ever you use, are like a few sec off half the time.

There's not 1 single fight yet in MoP that every single timer have been right. While me playing without any sort of DBM addon, get used to the fight after a few wipes, and know exactly when to move/react.

Take Lei-shen for example, we haven't killed him yet, but tanking him i know how long we are waiting for the energy to fill up (well that's on the bar so no big trick), but then when we move him we have to keep him in between the pillars for just a little bit each time to gain some time to dps. That way we avoid the last pillar totaly before transition. But on topp of that waiting we also have to taunt off eachother for decapitate.
    That decapitate comes slower than we move from 1 pillar to another, so i know i have to taunt about right between the first 2 pillars, keep him there for 1-2 sec before moving to the next one. between 2nd and 3rd i have to keep him a little longer before next tank taunts off.

For me it's easier to learn those things, instead of relaying on addons to tell me to "taunt in 5 sec", specialy since half of the timers seems to be fucked up. And not just for 1 addon, we have people using 2-3 different ones in our raids and non of them are spot on correct for all fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillieB View Post
    Well the shadow-priest ain't a daffodil tooting snuggle bunny either. Besides this is the priest forum not gonna get much love for that line of reasoning here locky-loo - All your sha are belonging to us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    If you NEED addons to play properly then you are using a crutch.
    Default UI sucks ass for healers. It's horrible to heal with. You can't even see what debuffs people have unless you use a damned magnifying glass..

because its ugly, and cluttered

I've always used default UI. I switch between bars (shift+number) like a boss and it shows me "all the info i need". Haters gonna hate.

(I don't like clutter either though, i don't use the option to show other bars onscreen, hence the switching)
    Last edited by giovannileanza; 2013-03-23 at 10:10 PM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

i dont look down on them but i am amazed they can play on such a hideous interface without cringing

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Those premade UI packs are nonsense if you ask me. What's the point of modifying your UI if you're not doing it yourself, according to your needs and habits.
    This. People say my UI is much like standard, but I have like 25 or something addons installed. I love my UI now days. Its maybe not pretty, but does everything I could want.

To OP: Standard UI is butt ugly, out dated, and annoying to look at. Besides it doesen't do anything I personally need...like seriously, it has nothing. I couldent play wow without addons.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO