Poll: Whose fault / responsibility is it?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

getting hit by a swiftly opening door - whose fault is it?

One day, as i was leaving the public toilet at my university , i opened the door very strongly / swiftly. The door opens outward. There was a guy standing just outside and he complained to me about that i had to be more careful and almost hit him with the door.

The door was not transparent, so there was no way of seeing if there was anybody behind the door.

Whose responsibility is it to make sure that the door doesn't hit anybody?

As i kept observing on the matter, i noticed that many other people as well open the door very quickly. I also see young mothers with their baby buggies walking dangerously close past closed doors that could at any time be opened swiftly and cause severe damage.

Both people should be aware that there are other people in the world. The guy shouldn't be standing so close to the door without opening it yet (you walk towards it with your hand out so that there's space between you and the door, I thought this is something we figure out in preschool), and the guy on the inside shouldn't be opening it so brusquely.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Shit happens. Sometimes no one is at fault for said shit.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I don't think it's anyone's fault... or both.
    You can't open a door that quickly, but it's not like you can assume that someone's standing near it.
    If you stand near a door that opens towards you, it's not really unexpected, is it?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    That of the person who stands close to a door that opens in their direction.

Why would you stand that close to a door that it can hit you if opened?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    If you stand near a door that opens towards you, it's not really unexpected, is it?
    Sure it can be. They have a word for people who are always vigilente and on guard for the unexpected...who tirelessly pay attention to everything around them. Borg.

Deleted
    Both need to be aware. The one pushing the door needs better manners and should not push doors open really hard, the one about to open it needs to learn not to stand so close.

I personally don't open doors that opens away from me quickly, especially ones that has no windows or isn't full glass. You have to realize that sometimes, people don't only walk towards a door with the intention of opening it, some people would pass by a door also. You can argue that you shouldn't walk so close to a door anyway, well sometimes the hallway or whatever space isn't that big, and it doesn't hurt to just not jerk the door open.

You know this happens so seldom it's really not an issue. Also the way MOST normal people open doors isn't really that much of a threat...unless Kramer is on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Sure it can be. They have a word for people who are always vigilente and on guard for the unexpected...who tirelessly pay attention to everything around them. Borg.
    Or a Terminator, or Robocop, or some other such cybernetic organism; or maybe they're paranoid; or maybe, just maybe, they are readily alert to their surroundings. Turns out caution, alertness, and continuous awareness of one's surrounding is a trait not limited to fictional cyborgs and crazy militants constantly hyped up on LSD. Not saying I'm militant.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Everyone knows a door needs to open for people to move through it. If you're the dummy who either purposely or by accident stands next to a door that can open and hit you, that's your fault. The people opening the door are only doing what is required to get through it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep your head on a swivel.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holidae View Post
    Or a Terminator, or Robocop, or some other such cybernetic organism; or maybe they're paranoid; or maybe, just maybe, they are readily alert to their surroundings. Turns out caution, alertness, and continuous awareness of one's surrounding is a trait not limited to fictional cyborgs and crazy militants constantly hyped up on LSD. Not saying I'm militant.
    Everybody gets tired and drops their guard eventually, this is why others around you also need to be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Everyone knows a door needs to open for people to move through it. If you're the dummy who either purposely or by accident stands next to a door that can open and hit you, that's your fault. The people opening the door are only doing what is required to get through it.
    they keyword int his situation is how the OP opened the door swiftly, which is basically just another way of saying he probably kicked it open. Which is hardly "required".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You have to realise that someone may WALK close to a door.

Deleted
    I'd say both.

If you don't know which way a door opens (you're speaking of the door as if it lead to outside, most doors leading to outside open inwards rather then outward for a reason) you're not going to assume it's dangerous. Sometimes you don't even know there's a door with some full glass buildings.
    As for the one opening the door, they can't know someone is on the other side either.

So, there's a bit of blame in the person opening the door too fast but also in the person not being attentive enough and getting hit by it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both people. Should open doors slower just in case and he obviously shouldn't stand up against a door that is clearly occupied :P

Everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings, so both people are at fault. But I'd say the one opening the door hard/fast is more at fault. He's the one who initiated an action that a reasonable person would understand might cause harm to something/someone.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say the fault lies more with the person who stood/walked too close to the door that opens outwards, but the person opening the door should probably open it slowly enough that a person could reasonably dodge the opening door if they'd been distracted. Either way,if the person gets hit by the door, a simple apology should do and people should move on with their day.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Everybody gets tired and drops their guard eventually, this is why others around you also need to be aware.
    Pfft, not when you're on LSD you don't. My- yo- a random hypothetical person on LSD would never drop their guard. Hallucinations are a meager price for the piece of mind of not being hit by doors. Or being surprised by George's secret NASA Ninja Force.

Won't be happening again, no sir.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.