Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    No, I wouldn't say... well, kind of actually. But I feel like this has more to do with the fact that we're employing some 2.6 million personnel. Any time you have a group of millions of people, some of them will inevitably be crazy.
    You would think they would check for that before giving them a job and handing them a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    You would think they would check for that before giving them a job and handing them a weapon.
    well, they do check for it. the problem is people go crazy after they're hired. they can also snap in between periodic checks.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Thanks for actually having proof this time.
    so, let me get this straight in my head -

a man with nothing to gain risks himself making a video - lol fake, want proof

stupid ass unfounded birther conspiracy - sounds legit. demand answers!!! obama is hiding something!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Agrias stated, most of these people are (or at least appear to be) completely sane when they are enlisted.

And sometimes these things aren't caused by mental illness. Sometimes an event just makes somebody so angry and distraught that it drives them to kill. After all, not all murderers are declared to be mentally ill. Sometimes people fully understand what they are doing when they take lives.

Deleted
    We do have checks prior to joining and checks, interviews, 'de-compression' packages after every operational tour.

However, if you take someone, effectively train into them a 'kill-switch', give them thorough training on how to go about doing the business of killing people once the kill-switch is firmly set to: ON, put them in proximity of ammunition and weapons, send them to highly physically and mentally stressful environments and then throw them back into normal society occasionally things like this will happen.

The process of adapting and evolving the psychological care of veterans is an ongoing one but few will always slip through the net, unfortunately.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    We do have checks prior to joining and checks, interviews, 'de-compression' packages after every operational tour.

However, if you take someone, effectively train into them a 'kill-switch', give them thorough training on how to go about doing the business of killing people once the kill-switch is firmly set to: ON, put them in proximity of ammunition and weapons, send them to highly physically and mentally stressful environments and then throw them back into normal society occasionally things like this will happen.

The process of adapting and evolving the psychological care of veterans is an ongoing one but few will always slip through the net, unfortunately.
    Did i ever mention how much of a swell guy you are Reqq? AND RICH, PLEASE DON'T KILL ME YOU SPARTAN TRAINED SOLDIERS!

Joke's aside, what's it like for a person with a record of mental health problems chance to join the marines - or the greens.

Since i don't know much admittedly about the recruitment process (Ok i lied, i know very little) but there are waivers in place right?

Or is it, once unsuitable always unsuitable?

Deleted
    Depends on a million factors but I'd be inclined to say that 90% of mental health issues are a bar to entry.

Deleted
    Depends on a million factors but I'd be inclined to say that 90% of mental health issues are a bar to entry.
    That to me, at least suggests the entry requirements are as rigid as possibly can be.

And somewhere down the line, lack of care to said soldiers has unfortunately resulted in one failing to detox and lashing out - or rather sadly, ending his or her own life.

But compared the military of the 70's and 80's i'd say it is an ever changing environment, and while it's adapting to the human psyche rare... accidents? like this will occur.

Fraternization within the ranks however, is intolerable for a multitude of reason's im sure you could suggest.

We have soldiers in active warfare as well but we dont see nowhere near the same amount of murder/suicides per capita. Maybe it has something to do with how soldiers are trained. From what I've heard the Marine bootcamp is pretty rough? And the grunts are given little independence. Our grunts are generally given more independence and are expected to make good decisions rather than always following orders.

Deleted
    Hmm - it seems to be all to frequent. Does the US military have bad psychiatric care?
    Yes they do, but I doubt even the best healthcare would have worked, this sounds like a love triangle gone wrong.

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 02:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Did i ever mention how much of a swell guy you are Reqq? AND RICH, PLEASE DON'T KILL ME YOU SPARTAN TRAINED SOLDIERS!

Joke's aside, what's it like for a person with a record of mental health problems chance to join the marines - or the greens.

Since i don't know much admittedly about the recruitment process (Ok i lied, i know very little) but there are waivers in place right?

Or is it, once unsuitable always unsuitable?
    Fucking slim indeed, the Military knows how stressful Military life is even if you never deploy, they do not want to take the risk of you relapsing. unfortunately this is also part of the problem, those suffering from mental problems do want want to admit them and seek help for fear of ruining their career.

i'm in the enlistment process right now for the navy, and it seems they can disqualify you over a wide range of pretty much anything healthwise. you can get waivers for some stuff, but that's far from the "they'll take any warm body" image that I used to have of the military.

So... on a base full of military militia armed with guns... this guy kills two people (presumably armed) before killing himself.

So much for "the only defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun." Guess they forgot about that sub-clause of "...unless the Bad Guy with a gun gets the drop on you first when you're not expecting it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    So... on a base full of military militia armed with guns... this guy kills two people (presumably armed) before killing himself.

So much for "the only defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun." Guess they forgot about that sub-clause of "...unless the Bad Guy with a gun gets the drop on you first when you're not expecting it."
    You're ignoring the fact that nobody except for security walks around a base with their sidearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    a few make it "in", very few make it past boot camp. boot camp is intentionally very stressful, and one of the reasons is to cull mental instability. most people think of boot camp as only being physically rigorous - when i went through in the navy it was anything but tbh - but throw together sleep deprivation, verbal hostility and unpredictability from anybody in charge and you have an artificially created stress, and believe me, the weak links show pretty quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.