Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Because we have for profit prisons, so people make money by locking others up.
    Can you expand on this, please? For-profit prisions?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    We do have far more population than Europe. We do not have the cradle to grave welfare, thus more want. We have cultures that encourage or at least tolerates violent behavior. Liberal European nations are more likey to use plea to lower the degree of the crime (even if it not deserved, victims life is always cheaper than the murderer), thus lower punishment. Then there is the drug laws, which greatly skews the prison population.
    It's a rate per X population, so the size of the US population doesn't matter in the OP's graphic except inasmuch as you might make a comment about population density having an effect on crime rates. But then Europe is higher population density than the US IIRC.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Exactly what it sounds like. Prisons run by private companies who get paid by the government to store prisoners.

It's in the companies interest to store as many people as possible for as cheap as possible.

http://americandrugwar.com/

This doc hits this topic hard. Mandatory minimums, privatized jails, non-violent offenders, etc basically in depth look at what the video above discusses.
    Last edited by mindbomb; 2013-03-22 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Because we are too pussy to execute people when they are convicted and instead let them live for another 10 years.
    1/10, terrible troll. Count all the countries on the graph that execute prisoners.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-03-22 at 07:44 PM.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Prisons are often run by corporations, they make money by incarcerating people. Not only do they get paid by the Government with tax dollars, but they also get to put the inmates to work. If you get a telemarketing call, there is a good chance it's coming from a prison and the person you are talking to is locked up. This makes it so that there is money to be made by locking people up for the most petty of crimes. So the companies in question loby their representatives to be "tough on crime".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

1: "war on drugs"

2: political points - being "tough on crime" wins elections, and earning that title means more jail sentences for more years

3: a prosecutorial system that emphasizes numbers instead of judgement
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US didn't want to be outdone by those pesky Soviets, so decided to send more people to gaol than Stalin.

Have that you damn commies.

I would say the Three Strike Rule has a lot to do with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am still waiting for someone to tell me how this has improved America as a whole.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Relevant QI:

But yeah, as mentioned above it's a mix of various factors, three strikes, the draconian drug laws, the need to be "Harsh on crime" and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Prisons are often run by corporations, they make money by incarcerating people. Not only do they get paid by the Government with tax dollars, but they also get to put the inmates to work. If you get a telemarketing call, there is a good chance it's coming from a prison and the person you are talking to is locked up. This makes it so that there is money to be made by locking people up for the most petty of crimes. So the companies in question loby their representatives to be "tough on crime".
    That's fucking scary, man. I knew that prisons were often ran by corporations and were a private business so to speak...but I had no idea they made inmates work like that. That's as close to slavery as one can get. Shit like that really rustles my jimmies.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Deleted
    non violent drug offenders /thread

10+ Year Old Account
    the u.s also bases a lot of its laws on rare events rather than stats

wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    We do have far more population than Europe. We do not have the cradle to grave welfare, thus more want. We have cultures that encourage or at least tolerates violent behavior. Liberal European nations are more likey to use plea to lower the degree of the crime (even if it not deserved, victims life is always cheaper than the murderer), thus lower punishment. Then there is the drug laws, which greatly skews the prison population.

Though I do not know why it matter what amount of population we have in jails. Society as a whole makes the laws, deviants of the society always going to end up in prison for the breaking the laws. Nice way to not end up in prison is not to break the laws. Laws are already known (First time non violent offenders do not get prison)
    You sir! Are completely wrong. Europe has FAR FAR more population than U.S.A.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Europe (The population within the standard physical geographical boundaries was 731 million in 2005 according to the United Nations)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra..._United_States (As of March 1, 2013, the United States had a total resident population of 315,533,000, making it the third most populous country in the world.)
    Ishiz, Belf Priest @ Auchindoun
    Rhodeisa, Belf Paladin @ Auchindoun

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    That's fucking scary, man. I knew that prisons were often ran by corporations and were a private business so to speak...but I had no idea they made inmates work like that. That's as close to slavery as one can get. Shit like that really rustles my jimmies.
    Most of the equipment used by the US military is made in prisons.

Americans like to commit crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    I'm not positive, but I am relatively certain I am right...Most inmate work programs are voluntary and a reward for good behavior. Even prisoners have rights.

Again, if I am wrong feel free to correct me.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I'm not positive, but I am relatively certain I am right...Most inmate work programs are voluntary and a reward for good behavior. Even prisoners have rights.

Correct and wrong, there are work programs that are based on good behavior, and there are some that are mandatory. Just depends where you are imprisoned would be the best way to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post

This is what wiki says:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The 13th Amendment of the American Constitution in 1865 explicitly allows penal labour as it states that "neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." Unconvicted detainees awaiting trial cannot be forced to participate in forced rehabilitative labor programs in prison as it violates the Thirteenth Amendment. However the "convict lease" system became popular in the South in the late 19th century. Since the impoverished state governments could not afford penitentiaries, they leased out prisoners to work at private firms. According to Douglas A. Blackmon, it was Southern policy to intimidate blacks; tens of thousands of African Americans were arbitrarily arrested and leased to coal mines, lumber camps, brickyards, railroads, quarries and farm plantations.[15] The state governments maximized profits by putting the responsibility on the lessee to provide food, clothing, shelter, and medical care for the prisoners, which resulted in extremely poor conditions, numerous deaths, and perhaps the most inhumane system of labour in the United States.[16] Reformers abolished convict lease in the Progressive Era, stopping the system in Florida in 1919. The last state to abolish the practice was Alabama in 1927.
    In 1934, however, federal prison officials concerned about growing unrest in prisons lobbied to create a work program. Companies got involved again in 1979, when Congress passed a law allowing them to hire prisoners in some circumstances.
    Penal labour is sometimes used as a punishment in the U.S. military.[17] Penal labor is not required in the United States, but refusal to work normally results in the inmate receiving less food, a longer sentence, or other sactions.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance