Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless its a violent offense they should be let out, if they are in there for murder or reason such as they can never be safe to be around general society, they should be signed up medical experiments or put to work for the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    This is what wiki says:
    Ah I see. I might have been too vague. I know prison work gangs and the like still exist, as well as using inmates to run certain prison infrastructure.

I realize that stuff can be mandatory, just never really saw it as a work program. Which to me seems like a totally different experience...ie telemarketing.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Correct and wrong, there are work programs that are based on good behavior, and there are some that are mandatory. Just depends where you are imprisoned would be the best way to find out.
    Interesting. Well I guess that makes sense, and it's a good thing.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

I forgot which prison it was, but on the show " Lockup", they were showing inmates who did do telemarketing service for a credit card company. Struck me as odd, using criminals, to do credit card calls, with access to account information, and acess to the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    that focus on punishment rather than rehabilitation.
    I don't know what prison you have been in but for the most part the inmates seem to be content in prison, sure they aren't happy about it but, they know everyone there, they never want to take responsibility for their actions, and they continue to break rules in prison just because they are there. I'll agree non violent crimes shouldn't be in prison as often as they are currently. That and rehabilitation is a joke. None of the inmates have any interest in being rehabilitated the only reason they do anything like drug awareness programs and GED classes is for the 6 month reduction to their sentence per program they complete.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2013-03-22 at 11:04 PM.

I forgot which prison it was, but on the show " Lockup", they were showing inmates who did do telemarketing service for a credit card company. Struck me as odd, using criminals, to do credit card calls, with access to account information, and acess to the internet.
    I's sure they are very low threat inmates, and I doubt the work is lightly monitored...same with their off time internet use.

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 11:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I don't know what prison you have been in but for the most part the inmates seem to be content in prison, sure they aren't happy about it but, they know everyone there, they never want to take responsibility for their actions, and they continue to break rules in prison just because they are there. I'll agree non violent crimes shouldn't be in prison as often as they are currently. That and rehabilitation is a joke. None of the inmates have any interest in being rehabilitated.
    True to a pretty high percentage, but don't generalize the entire prison population.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I's sure they are very low threat inmates, and I doubt the work is lightly monitored...same with their off time internet use.
    While all correct, still. Knowing that, would you REALLY want your credit card company using inmates?

Even those numbers dont show the whole picture...there are 100's of thousands of people in the parole system and 100's of thousands more who have some type of criminal record and cant find a job so they have to turn to crime to survive ....you do anything in this country and your screwed for life and basically have to turn to crime to survive .

15+ Year Old Account
    Just like industries tied to war, prison is serious $$$. In the end money is all that matters to the people elected to "represent the people".

that focus on punishment rather than rehabilitation.
    In most western European countries this is of a much higher priority than in the US for better or for worse.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-03-22 at 11:11 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Isnt it because smoking a joint is considered a fellony or something, whereas the police here would just slap you on the wrist.
    You don't get jailtime for a joint, no matter how much these people try to convince you. You get a fine, not prison.

While all correct, still. Knowing that, would you REALLY want your credit card company using inmates?
    Honestly? This is going to sound REALLY bad, but call centers are not known for hiring the classiest people that float tot he top of the barrel. I don't know...maybe it bothers me, maybe it doesn't. I am kind of gullible though, and would hire an ex con if he was qualified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    True to a pretty high percentage, but don't generalize the entire prison population.
    I worked as a corrections officer for three years and in that time I never met an inmate who actually admitted to doing anything wrong it was someone else's fault. As far as the rehabilitation thing they used to brag about how big of a joke it was. They go to church services, drug meetings, and as many other things as they can sign up for in order to smuggle shit to other inmates, get a time credit, or have the pastor vouch for them at a parole hearing. I talked to the preacher a few times and asked how many of them actually had any contact once he got them out and he told me none had ever but he had hopes that one day one of them would. I think if some of you had to spend some time in the prison environment as a spectator you would quickly change your mind about having these assholes on the street.

10+ Year Old Account
    I worked as a corrections officer for three years and in that time I never met an inmate who actually admitted to doing anything wrong it was someone else's fault. As far as the rehabilitation thing they used to brag about how big of a joke it was. They go to church services, drug meetings, and as many other things as they can sign up for in order to smuggle shit to other inmates, get a time credit, or have the pastor vouch for them at a parole hearing. I talked to the preacher a few times and asked how many of them actually had any contact once he got them out and he told me none had ever but he had hopes that one day one of them would. I think if some of you had to spend some time in the prison environment as a spectator you would quickly change your mind about having these assholes on the street.
    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Have you ever stopped to think that perhaps that environment cultivates that sort of behavior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Have you ever stopped to think that perhaps that environment cultivates that sort of behavior?

Seeing they are in prison, i'm sure that the behavior has already been cultivated. Correct me if i'm wrong. /facepalm

I work as a nurse in a state prison so I see your side but I also see the other side a lot . Some of these guys are the biggest a holes in the world and some are pretty nice guys who just got caught up with the wrong crowd or had horrible parents . I don't know what prison you worked at but most of the guys I talk to admit to the crimes they did or at least partly . You know in prison your either a lion or the prey so you have to put up an act at all times ...but I see the act come down when they are sick or hurt ..so it's not as black and white as you see to make it out to be . This is really evident when they have family come visit or they talk about kids or " homies " ...etc etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    They do this shit from day one. I know you want to make excuses for their behavior and they love to make fun of people like you who just don't get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know If it's even been posted, but this

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    They do this shit from day one. I know you want to make excuses for their behavior and they love to make fun of people like you who just don't get it.
    I don't generalize in this sort of matter, and neither should you; it isn't rigorous.

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 04:30 PM ----------

Seeing they are in prison, i'm sure that the behavior has already been cultivated. Correct me if i'm wrong. /facepalm
    Sure. People that get gaoled for relatively minor offenses come out hardened ex-inmates. Prison should only be for those unable to live in the general population for the duration of their rehabilitation (i.e. violent crime).
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    I don't know what prison you worked at but most of the guys I talk to admit to the crimes they did or at least partly . You know in prison your either a lion or the prey so you have to put up an act at all times ...but I see the act come down when they are sick or hurt ..so it's not as black and white as you see to make it out to be .
    Miami Correctional Facility in Bunker Hill Indiana. Indiana's largest prison and I have seen how they act around the nurses generally hoping they can make them feel sorry for them or hoping they can score some sort of medication. The majority of the inmates I talked to would eventually admit to it when I would use logic to the point where they had to. Most of the time they would say they got ratted out, set up by police, or something to shift blame from themselves. I would have to say well so you got caught because someone told on you but you were actually doing it right? To which they would think about it for a second and respond well yeah. All I can say is I think people who like the guy in the video and Didatic should spend a week in a correctional facility before making excuses about inmates being the victims.

10+ Year Old Account
    Miami Correctional Facility in Bunker Hill Indiana. Indiana's largest prison and I have seen how they act around the nurses generally hoping they can make them feel sorry for them or hoping they can score some sort of medication. The majority of the inmates I talked to would eventually admit to it when I would use logic to the point where they had to. Most of the time they would say they got ratted out, set up by police, or something to shift blame from themselves. I would have to say well so you got caught because someone told on you but you were actually doing it right? To which they would think about it for a second and respond well yeah. All I can say is I think people who like the guy in the video and Didatic should spend a week in a correctional facility before making excuses about inmates being the victims.
    1) Do not comment upon what I have or have not done, you have no idea of the truth of it.

2) Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal and thus insufficient for formation of policy.