Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

TRION - You want to bring back old players?

Free Weekend: (FAIL)
    BloodIron EU ~ LOW
    Blightweald EU ~ LOW
    Icewatch EU ~ HIGH

FACT: Rift is quite a big game to download - I know that with my ISP speeds and if this offer was presented to me that I sure as hell would not download it for one measly weekend of play. Takes me 12 hours to download the Defiance beta and even this is annoying. Rift will be longer for guys like me if we didn't have the game.

As for brand new players, the questing experience from 1~50 is still too lack-lustre in my opinion. If a friend invites me to the game, he'll probably be a lvl 60 - I want to play with my friends - as soon as possible, obviously!

Why don't Trion get smart and give any unsubscribed players access for at least ONE full month and everyone a free level 50? - to actually give new players a chance to try STORM LEGION?

Oh yeah, if they don't want to completely drive players away with the mindless grind from 50~60 - make the leveling XP experience for EVERYONE (including subscribers) like 100% for level from 1 to 60 and also 100% for PA points during this "free" period so that existing players can get one level 50 and choose to level an alt faster.

Why a free lvl 50? New players that are raiders generally don't want to see 1~50 and just power-grind to 60. Collectors, Explorers, Achievement Hunters, Epic Quest Chasers and nostalgia freaks will still go back to the old content. So, what's the big deal?

New people can level up and fall in love with the end-game. None of this 20% xp nonsense.

New players want to see end-game, to participate in raids. You want to win new players? Get them to max level ASAP to actually try the game.

What you going to do for the current "free" weekend? GRIND? How fun! See end-game? Nope. Waste of time and load on the servers in my opinion.

Everyone benefits from this free month idea - veterans can get PA boost for a month, and a free level 50 or if they so choose or a lower level up quicker. Additional bonus for Vets? Make Rep gains 100% as well. I speak from experience - when the grind is too steep, I don't even bother.

Oh, yeah - put all the new guys on low pop servers for a week.

What harm is there in doing this for a month? Everyone benefits if the world of Rift gets more people.

Heck, if they do this, I may even be enticed to level an alt - at the moment? Not a hope in friggin' hell.

I am bored till 2.3 rolls around. I've done all the games once or twice and they're boring. Press space-bar with my carpal tunnel syndrome - how excitingly painful.

Games still reward too few tickets.

Only people I see complaining are the "die hard" masochists who thinks it's unfair people get it easier than they had it to get to 60. Your attitude is dumb and destroying the community. An mmo is no good if not enough people are playing.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-03-23 at 11:21 AM.

There are also multiple big MMO beta weekends going right now; FF14, Defiance and Neverwinter. This is also Pax East weekend.

Lastly, Rift was never as popular in EU as NA.

This is how Rift grows: Free-2-Play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yeah, I know - but I still maintain there is not enough time to appreciate the game in one weekend.

I'm busy downloading the Defiance beta at the moment.

I still maintain there is not enough time to appreciate the game in one weekend.
    That can be said of almost any game. I think it's pretty pointless to be honest.

They had week long f2p before. That was okay. However "free weekends" are just demos. Nothing more.

Deleted
    I would love a rift f2p up to lvl 50 and then you buy for the new xpac content.
    Anyhow, I downloaded it this morning, to check if I could get last dubloon missing from last year, but currency changed... no good way bringing old players back either =)
    Bloodiron meridian completely empty, tried to find a portal to new capital but didnt find any in meridian.. not even any direction how to reach storm legion region... but guess I didnt search that much. A portal however, should be there... to keep both cities alive cause I guess the few on the server is in the new place... and didnt seem like many new or former players were checking things out =) Perhaps former players remember that the carnival was a grind and you cant complete that in any good way in just a weekend, and perhaps many of them checked if old currency was still useful before downloading like I did =)
    Anyway, at least for me the game was fast uninstalled again :P

They should really have old currency auto delete itself. It seems to confuse people too often.

Deleted
    Its sad I loved Rift till they changed Chloromancers out of all recognition. Plus the leveling up from 50-60 was killing me. I miss healer mage but sadly I doubt I will be returning simply because I dont like the way mages are now, and I never really liked the other classes to much. I also had a serious issues with pings in that game I have no idea why but a lot of the time I would get massive pings for no reason whatsoever.
    Oh well.. its a shame, cause I loved the game.

I recently tried out Rift because i wanted to play the late game. I quit around level 35. Leveling is just straight up horrible. I find it worse than WoW, but i also find WoW leveling horrible. I don't care for leveling in MMO's like Rift and WoW that focus heavily on late game and raiding. If leveling had not been that bad, i may have been level 60 and subscribed now.

Another casual pretending like skipping the leveling experience will do anything positive in the long run.

These kinds of attitudes have shifted any and alll attention away from the full game, and onto the late game only. If all you care about are shinies and purples, you're going to have a bad time. It seems to me like many complainers are a little worn out on video games and MMOs. If the best complaints you have are a lack of portals, or not being allowed a free high level character, maybe its you with the problem, not Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Another casual pretending like skipping the leveling experience will do anything positive in the long run.

These kinds of attitudes have shifted any and alll attention away from the full game, and onto the late game only. If all you care about are shinies and purples, you're going to have a bad time. It seems to me like many complainers are a little worn out on video games and MMOs. If the best complaints you have are a lack of portals, or not being allowed a free high level character, maybe its you with the problem, not Rift.
    See last point in my post.

and... lets disregard my 1 x lvl 50, 2 x lvl 60's... playing since beta - and call me "casual"

When I play, I play semi-hardcore, but at the moment, the game is a bit dull, so logging in is just to show some activity. Rift is better with more players.

Your point is mute - The game begins at 60 - for most people anyway as is the case in WoW, and any other game that offers raiding.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-03-23 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    See last point in my post.

and... lets disregard my 1 x lvl 50, 2 x lvl 60's... playing since beta - and call me "casual"

When I play, I play semi-hardcore, but at the moment, the game is a bit dull, so logging in is just to show some activity. Rift is better with more players.

Your point is mute - The game begins at 60 - for most people anyway as is the case in WoW, and any other game that offers raiding.

Yikes.

To the poster looking for the port to SL area from Meridian, there is one there a guy right next to a port a little to the right of the carnival games. He should offer porting you to shimmersand or Tempest Bay - which is the new "major" city of SL. Otherwise, you'll need to go to IPP for the official first port to SL content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Yikes.
    My bad. I should have edited that quote to point out this:

"Another casual pretending like skipping the leveling experience will do anything positive in the long run."

Which is what I responded too. Not that a "casual" is a bad thing - we all play games for fun. Excessive grind detracts from that fun as does having a huge brick wall in front of you when all you want to do is just start a new mmo and play with friends.

This is mainly a response to the "Another casual pretending like skipping the leveling experience will do anything positive in the long run." Jab at the OP.

As someone who played a LOT of rift in the first year it was out... as in I-had-no-life-logged-in-every-waking-moment lot of Rift, was a guild leader and was in love with the game.. I can say the 1-50 leveling was the biggest downside of the game by far. I'd rather be at work than level a toon in Rift <-- Factual information. I tried to get dozens of my old WoW guildmates to join; most didn't make it past level 20-30. Why? "Dude the leveling is soooo boring" would be the standard response. The endgame is what Rift is, and the OP is correct, the trials do not do justice to the game. Hundreds of days played at 50 on my rogue in the first year, and my two alts were only level 18 and 30... and every time I would even THINK about leveling them a feeling of dread, of UGGHHH, would wash over me.

So yes, bottom line, if there was a way to circumvent the 1-50 questing side of Rift, it would be more successful in gaining new subscriptions. I would put down cold hard cash on that bet, that's for sure.

I suppose you'll call me a casual too, you'll get lol'd at plenty if you do though, since casuals don't take a week of when expansions come out to level to 60 in 3-4 days and start raiding ASAP. Nor would casuals be as progressed as I am which is 4/4TDQ, 4/4FT 3/5EE. So yeah, call me casual too if you want, but I say shortening the leveling experience almost needs to be done with an expansion. WoW has done it with every expansion as well, including having an entire class that starts at a higher level. 1-50 is no longer the focus of the game, at all. The 1-50 areas are near dead. The majority of people playing in those zones just want to get out of them and get to where there are people. New players see those old areas, dead, and assume the game is dieing.

There are 3 possible ways of dealing with this IMO.

1) Remove 1-50. Everyone starts at 50 with a set of Level 50 gear and you start on SL. If this were going to be done though, it should have been done at SL launch. Heck, you should have been able to buy SL without having bought chocolate and just skip all the chocolate areas. Buying SL lets you create level 50 chars. If someone who loves lore wants to go back and see the old stuff, they still have the option of buying chocolate for $5 and starting a level 1 toon. This is optional however and not mandatory.

2) Shorten 1-50 significantly. Like a 20% bonus weekend, but permanent, all players under 50 receive it, then do the 20% bonus on top of that. In addition a reduction in amount in takes to level as well. Get people through that part of the game as quickly as possible so they can get to where there actually are people playing the game.

3) Now this is my favorite idea. The above ideas would work and I would like them and lots of people would probably be happy with them, but this is better IMO. Make Chocolate Rift entirely F2P. All the old content, raids and everything included. Only thing not free is coming to SL. You gotta sub up for that.

Apparently though, havign this type of opinion makes me a casual, so I am gonna go shoot myself now rather than be labeled a casual.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post

Just pointing out the correct use of this phrase is "moot" not mute. As in, "Your point is moot." / "The scholar's argument was a moot point to the ongoing conversation."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moot+point
    http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...oot+point.html
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/moot-point.html

"Mute point" is a misspelling in all cases where it is not expressly a pun or parody of "moot point".

http://languagerules.wordpress.com/2...ot-mute-point/
    http://grammarist.com/usage/moot-mute/

No ill intent. Just hoping to clarify the wording of the idiom. To quote Deltron: "...all citizens in power with rhythm, we keep the funk alive by talking with idioms"

;D

Just pointing out the correct use of this phrase is "moot" not mute. As in, "Your point is moot." / "The scholar's argument was a moot point to the ongoing conversation."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moot+point
    http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...oot+point.html
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/moot-point.html

"Mute point" is a misspelling in all cases where it is not expressly a pun or parody of "moot point".

http://languagerules.wordpress.com/2...ot-mute-point/
    http://grammarist.com/usage/moot-mute/

No ill intent. Just hoping to clarify the wording of the idiom. To quote Deltron: "...all citizens in power with rhythm, we keep the funk alive by talking with idioms"

;D
    No, soo the real term is a Moo point. Moo, like a Cow, cause it's like a Cow's opinion, it just doesn't matter.

(Kelso line from That 70's How)

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    (Kelso line from That 70's SHow)
    FTFY

Honestly Rifts leveling is not great. A single starting area for each faction and after the first two zones you do all the same ones, it's a major drawback.

Experience from 1-50 needs a heavy nerf, like 30% or so, and to be honest SL XP per level could use a 20% nerf too.

15+ Year Old Account

If leveling is so important then why not have 200 levels? I mean the game can carry itself on the storyline and leveling experience alone right? Let's just delete the endgame and see how well it goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can write this off as "fail" all you want but there are A LOT OF PEOPLE that came back for this free weekend. I was running level 50+ PVP brackets for hours and ran across so many people saying "first time back in a long time," not including the same comments made in dungeons, open world chats, Reddit and the forums itself.

As far as the conversion rate for those who will stay? I don't know. Some complaints were the same we've made (50-60 leveling being too much) but.. that doesn't mean it was fail. A lot resubbed and bought the expansion. I'd say that's a success regardless of what the population status of your EU shards showed.
    Rift Scene - Still the best Rift fansite.
    Cupcakey 5/5 EE, 4/4 FT

10+ Year Old Account
    There are also multiple big MMO beta weekends going right now; FF14, Defiance and Neverwinter. This is also Pax East weekend.

Lastly, Rift was never as popular in EU as NA.

Fencers I agree with you, its the only way it will truly grow.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.