10+ Year Old Account

Mysterious mana income?

I've been doing some empirical tests of Discipline spells to try to debug an Atonement simulator I've been writing. It keeps predicting that I should run OOM with the normal smite rotation after about 3.5min of steady casting. I've verified that when I stand around doing nothing that mana does indeed regenerate in game at the rate listed on the character sheet. I've also triple checked that my sim is accurately accounting for Evangelism, trinkets (Horridon's and 522 Valor), one mana pot (instant), Solace, Shadowfiend and Hymn of Hope. Rapture is not included, as both ingame and the sim I'm just running the standard Smite rotation.

...and yet ingame tests have me never dipping below 97% mana while actually spamming, and the combat log isn't showing any weird power gains. I've watched my own mana regenerate during the cast time of spells, and it's behaving like I have ~20k mp5. This is also consistent with my experience in raids; I noticed myself at max mana a lot after I switched to Solace mid-run.

Anyone know what's up with this?

10+ Year Old Account
    You are getting a flat 30% reduction on smite/holy fire/penance. Did you account for that in your in game testing? Casting solace instead of holy fire is also regenerating your mana, which I imagine you are talenting into. If not, then at least mindbender. Both of those would show up on your recount/skada. Attonement triggers Horridon's. dunno what valor trink you got.

Probably need more info into exactly what you were casting when gettin these results and how much spirit you have, what spirit procs (trinks, dark weave, etc).
    Last edited by ramennoodleking; 2013-03-23 at 02:33 PM.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

If you are testing at a target dummy, I think they still have weird combat rules. You seemed to stay in Out of Combat mana regen. This was a while ago, I believe in the cata era, but it's worth a quick check to see if it's still occurring before pouring over all your other stuff for errors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warlock_alt View Post
    If you are testing at a target dummy, I think they still have weird combat rules. You seemed to stay in Out of Combat mana regen. This was a while ago, I believe in the cata era, but it's worth a quick check to see if it's still occurring before pouring over all your other stuff for errors.
    Oh. Derp. Yep, this seems to be it. Thanks.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    dunno what valor trink you got.
    Soothing Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault

This one, most likely. Very good regen trinket, using it myself.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    Soothing Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault

This one, most likely. Very good regen trinket, using it myself.
    All the 522 regen trinkets have the same mp5, though the controllable nature of Soothing is nice. I was asking him because he was speaking of atonement, so I assumed it was possible that he had grabbed the dps trinket, Volatile Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault, which would have no positive effect on mana like Soothing.

Either way, looks like he resolved his issue.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    All the 522 regen trinkets have the same mp5, though the controllable nature of Soothing is nice. I was asking him because he was speaking of atonement, so I assumed it was possible that he had grabbed the dps trinket, Volatile Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault, which would have no positive effect on mana like Soothing.

Either way, looks like he resolved his issue.
    This is wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    This is wrong.
    Very wrong, especially for disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Very wrong, especially for disc.
    Also depends what one considers to be "regen trinket" and "throughput trinket". Ive seen some lines blurred in explaining the two.

Static spirit with throughput proc/activation = ???

Static int with regen proc/activation = ???