Thread: You, 0 A.D.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd invent a bunch of shit they don't have yet, make a fortune, and live a comfortable life of awesomeness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bunch a people wanna go see if Jesus is real? Screw that. I'm going to Rome to hang out with the Romans.
    Putin khuliyo

I'd try to get my bearing, remember my history books and travel the world eventually settling down where he was.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    If I would get there in exactly the same spot I am now? Probably drowning (see my location). I would love to try and introduce some modern inventions or something, but my lack of Latin skills would probably get in the way.

Become the greatest doctor of the time!

And probably find out how to make penicillin...

And then pass it on. And of course make a prophecy concerning my own future birth!

Everybody would be labeled a heretic or a witch and be burned alive, crucified, or stoned to death. There would be little tolerance for the weirdo, crazy asshole trying to change society in such ridiculous ways. Your best bet would be to find a cave, try to become a survivalist, and attempt to stay away from any real society for as long as possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    The Greeks already used steam engines, so while it may not have seen widespread use, the technology was known.
    Did they? What prevented the industrial revolution from happening 2000 years earlier?

10+ Year Old Account
    Start a cult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Did they? What prevented the industrial revolution from happening 2000 years earlier?
    i thought some guy in Alexandria invented the steam engine... and then the romans burned it with the great library when they got there.....

Edit: hmm nevermind the library may have existed at this time or it may have been burned by Julius ceaser in BC48 if it existed i would try to get there by any means necessary in order to save that knowledge
    Last edited by Tierbook; 2013-03-23 at 06:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Lack of British empire
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Deleted
    So many kids thinking saying "I'd rape Mary" or "I'd kill a little baby Jesus" is cool and/or edgy. Just so we're clear: you're saying you're gonna rape a 13 year old virgin girl, or that you're gonna murder a newborn.

First thing: there's no "0 AD". There's 1 BC, and then 1 AD straight after it.

Also, if I ended up where I currently am, I'm gonna end up in a rather barbarous area full of people who think killing that which looks odd is perfectly acceptable (so I guess they're a lot like the commenters I mentioned above). That means one thing: the moment I open my mouth, I get killed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    An interesting concept:P You, right at this moment get transported to 0 AD. You have zero time to prepare, you cant take anything with you. You also have no idea how this happened and no way back.

How would you deal with the situation? Would you try to pass on the modern knowledge, possible changing history? Would you even know enough to pass something on? (you might know that computers cars etc. are possible but wouldnt know how to make them so you might end up being burned on the cross like a heretic).

So what would you do it this happened to you?
    I'd teach medicine most likely, and live happily ever after off the land.

Even if there was no language barrier, I doubt I could contribute anything, neither technical nor social.
    The principal concepts of democracy was already known then, and especially in rome it was already in place. Elections, separation of power, all was known then.

And what could I create technically? Perhaps a simple steam machine. But who could create stable enough pressure vessels then?
    I couldn't even create the most simplest things, like soap. I even know how you create it (since we did it in school), but how do I get NaOH that I can buy now in every drugstore now?
    I don't know how to farm, or to survive in the forrest - at least in the winter.

There is no way to prove that I am from "the future", they would say I am nuts.

So overall seen, I would be pretty lost.

Deleted
    Thinking again if I somehow magically got knowledge of the language of the time and ended up somewhere semi-relevant, I would try to make my way to Palestine. But not to rape barely pubescent girls or murder newborn infants - to meet Jesus. To learn what was he really like. If he turned out to be a cool guy, warn him about the kind of shit his followers will get into and what kind of insults rebellious teenagers are gonna throw at him because of their religious parents. If he was a dick, I'd turn to Greece and pretend to be the son of a sun god and make my own religion which will probably turn out better.

Deleted
    Try to survive with my knowledge without getting me killed by cheruskian german tribes in the middle of nowhere, see the mighty romans lose the battle of Varus and try to enlighten as many people as possible, driving time faster then it actually took pace.

Technologically speaking, not believe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arridor View Post
    So many kids thinking saying "I'd rape Mary" or "I'd kill a little baby Jesus" is cool and/or edgy. Just so we're clear: you're saying you're gonna rape a 13 year old virgin girl, or that you're gonna murder a newborn.

First thing: there's no "0 AD". There's 1 BC, and then 1 AD straight after it.

Also, if I ended up where I currently am, I'm gonna end up in a rather barbarous area full of people who think killing that which looks odd is perfectly acceptable (so I guess they're a lot like the commenters I mentioned above). That means one thing: the moment I open my mouth, I get killed.
    So you wouldn't kill one person to save the death and persecution of millions? Just because it's a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    So you wouldn't kill one person to save the death and persecution of millions? Just because it's a child?
    Honestly, if it weren't Christianity, it would have been something else. Just as soon as someone came up with the idea of "convert to my religion or burn in hell for all eternity" it was only a matter of time before that took over from more polytheistic traditions more accepting of differences.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    We really should change the name of Earth to Terra.
    Earth is already named Terra in some languages, Portuguese for example. But atm we're called "terraqueos" instead of "terrans", we gotta fix that!

I'd probably go to some remote location and make use of some knowledge but wouldn't go insane with it. Or i'd just be killed by bandits in the first hours, who knows

This thread reminds me of this TED talk:

"Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post

How would you deal with the situation?

I'd kill myself. Or become a Roman.