Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Your argument apply to anyone who is submitting a high ranking WoL report so the fact that mages are still better means that if a casual observer says to you "mages are doing shit as DPS" you can prove them obviously wrong because they are still frequently in the top 10 when other classes and specs barely get a look in at all.

  2. #22
    Bloodsail Admiral Rinoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In an igloo.
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    Those magi that are ranking so high are A) Because the whole raid is allowing them to rank (e.g. letting them spread combustion and other dots that would otherwise not been close enough to do so or other people not killing those adds so the rankers can have greater uptime on them) and B) They are the ones getting extremely lucky with RNG, and a mage with good RNG is stupidly good.

    Honestly, I wonder how people don't see that and keep using the "lol magi are ranking so they're so good" argument. (Not talking about you Imnick )
    I got rank 1 on Ji-kun and Iron Qon in our raid last night. In neither of those fights I was 'fed' DPS in any way. (How do you 'feed' someone on Iron Qon anyway?) so that argument is moot. I think Mages are in a great spot at the moment, I can even see us being a tad overpowered at the end of the tier.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
    I got rank 1 on Ji-kun and Iron Qon in our raid last night. In neither of those fights I was 'fed' DPS in any way. (How do you 'feed' someone on Iron Qon anyway?) so that argument is moot. I think Mages are in a great spot at the moment, I can even see us being a tad overpowered at the end of the tier.
    Why are you telling me that you got rank 1 on Ji-kun BETWEEN other fire magi. Isn't the point the dps difference between classes? Also, just because one cannot feed dps in one encounter does not invalidate my RNG argument which is irrefutable. Also, I never said magi are doing bad, I don't understand why people just inferred such a thing when in no way did I imply it.

    I'll state my point again. We see magi at the top of the ranks because those were people who got EXTREMELY lucky with RNG and after a certain skill cap (or close to the skill cap) which actually many decent magi are close to, that's the only factor on whether you'll do 200k dps or 150k dps. My first post was just there to show that people can't use those magi who are getting really lucky as an argument for saying that they're fine (which they are). It's just something that bugs me and many people don't seem to understand why it's that way.

  4. #24
    Bloodsail Admiral Rinoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In an igloo.
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    Why are you telling me that you got rank 1 on Ji-kun BETWEEN other fire magi.
    It was 3rd overall for Ji-kun and 1st overall for Iron Qon I believe, which is fine by any standard. Either way, RNG or not we are in a good spot.
    Last edited by Rinoa; 2013-03-26 at 02:03 PM.

  5. #25
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,643
    Quote Originally Posted by elpadrino293 View Post
    A) mage damage is quite competitive.
    Not competitive enough considering that since the only thing the class does well is DPS.

    B) between Ice Block, Greater Invisibility, and Temporal Shield/Ice Barrier, i cannot see how you can say we have mediocre survivability. we have some of the best defensives cooldowns out of all the caster classes. 0 raid utility? really 0? heroic will of the emperor would like to speak with you.
    Personal utility =/= raid utility.

    Seriously, posts like this are why none of the issues ever get fixed.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  6. #26
    Being able to soak things like Static Shock with GInvis and Ice Block is raid utility

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
    It was 3rd overall for Ji-kun and 1st overall for Iron Qon I believe, which is fine by any standard. Either way, RNG or not we are in a good spot.
    What I dont get is that you do all this great dps but not even using PoM, what are you doing there ? :P

  8. #28
    Bloodsail Admiral Rinoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In an igloo.
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionz View Post
    What I dont get is that you do all this great dps but not even using PoM, what are you doing there ? :P
    Even though PoM is potentially better DPS than Blazing Speed on most fights, I just can't get over how awesome Blazing Speed is. A huge speed increase in the form of a fiery fart, I mean come on. ^_^

    (The real answer is that while PoM is often better damage, I prefer the added freedom of movement to a tiny bit more burst. I know that I do okay damage for the most part anyway regardless of if I have PoM or not. Blazing Speed regularly saves of my life or allows me to get off an extra Fireball too as it allows me to linger and keep casting in cases where I would have to move immediately if I did not have such a speed increase. You could argue that Blink does this - and it does - but it takes a global that I could have used to Scorch. Also, Blink into BS is a FAST way of moving long distances, such as crossing platforms on Lei Shen.)
    Last edited by Rinoa; 2013-03-26 at 07:42 PM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
    Even though PoM is potentially better DPS than Blazing Speed on most fights, I just can't get over how awesome Blazing Speed is. A huge speed increase in the form of a fiery fart, I mean come on. ^_^
    Please read PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •