Deleted

Leveling a Shaman

Hello,

I've decided to level a Shaman and I just hit level 10. I have three questions, what spec would you recommend for leveling, what is the most popular/best spec at 90, and I've never leveled a class that could heal, would picking resto mean that all I could do to level would be instances? (I'd imagine going resto would be worse for leveling than the rest)

Thank you a lot.

resto would give you excellent queue times, and even better for LFR at 90, but i'd only level as resto if you plan on playing it at max level.

if you want to play a caster or a melee level as ele/enha you will be much better at it by level 90 instead of jumping into a new spec with all these new abilities you've never used before.

popular or best hmm, resto is best for pvp, but in 5.2 it's not as good as other healers in pve. enhancement is fairly decent in pvp and pve, elemental is a joke in pvp regarding small battles you really need a team around you to stop you hitting the deck in seconds so rbgs yes, but arena no, pve elemental isn't very good single target but it's getting better, its mobility and cleave is second to none.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    resto would give you excellent queue times, and even better for LFR at 90, but i'd only level as resto if you plan on playing it at max level.

if you want to play a caster or a melee level as ele/enha you will be much better at it by level 90 instead of jumping into a new spec with all these new abilities you've never used before.

popular or best hmm, resto is best for pvp, but in 5.2 it's not as good as other healers in pve. enhancement is fairly decent in pvp and pve, elemental is a joke in pvp regarding small battles you really need a team around you to stop you hitting the deck in seconds so rbgs yes, but arena no, pve elemental isn't very good single target but it's getting better, its mobility and cleave is second to none.
    That's the annoying thing, I'm not sure if I want to play a healer when I hit 90. Strange that you are basically confined to leveling through dungeouns if you pick a healer...

I think it'll either be Elemental or Resto, just because I've never been a caster.

All 3 specs change play style a lot when you reach close to 90

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    That's the annoying thing, I'm not sure if I want to play a healer when I hit 90. Strange that you are basically confined to leveling through dungeouns if you pick a healer...

I think it'll either be Elemental or Resto, just because I've never been a caster.
    If you want to play as Resto, I'd recommend leveling as Elemental and dual speccing Resto. They both essentially share the same gear for all intents and purposes until you hit the level cap (and even then, lots of sharing gear).

10+ Year Old Account
    Go elemental. The aoe dps is crazy right now.

Deleted
    Hello guys i have a resto/ele shaman stuck at 56 lvl the leveling is a little slow because healers have instant queue at dungeons and you cannot do quests with ele i'm thinking to turn my shaman to enhancement and level with this spec until i hit 90 and i will turn it to resto and i will gear up in pvp.
    Last edited by mmoc919dbcefd2; 2013-03-24 at 08:23 PM.

Deleted
    Just to add something from my experience. I'm leveling a Shaman too, I've decided to go Ele/Resto as they are using basicaly the same gear. You can switch on demand and you are quite capable to off heal as Ele too, i managed to heal a tank when main healer dropped out. Ele starts to be really good around lvl 50 where your Aoe starts to hurt a lot. I'm now lvl 67 and I'm able to keep up with tank in dmg/dps which I think is a good indicator for future as Tanks are now really op. Enhancement could be more fun but you would be stuck with agi equip which is not suitable for Resto if you would like to switch for dungeons. I had no problem to queue as dps though, few mins ques at max.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorasan View Post
    Hello guys i have a resto/ele shaman stuck at 56 lvl the leveling is a little slow because healers have instant queue at dungeons and you cannot do quests with ele
    What?

Elemental is one of the strongest levelling specs around, I levelled back in TBC as Elemental through outland, and it was incredible. I can only see how it has gotten easier.

But yeah, go Elemental/Resto. Like any Hybrid have a healer or tank offspec and quest, when you get bored/stuck in questing, switch spec and dungeon grind. Easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares66 View Post
    What?

Elemental is one of the strongest levelling specs around, I levelled back in TBC as Elemental through outland, and it was incredible. I can only see how it has gotten easier.

But yeah, go Elemental/Resto. Like any Hybrid have a healer or tank offspec and quest, when you get bored/stuck in questing, switch spec and dungeon grind. Easy.
    I will listen to your advice and i will continue ele/resto doing quest and when i get bored, i will switch spec and i will storm the dungeons.

Thank you all

Deleted
    Just a little update for everyone. I decided that I don't really want to be a Shaman so I decided to go resto and level via dungeons when I have the time to experience something new/to experiment. Healing is incredibly boring at low level, isn't it? This is my first time healing and so I can only presume it must get a lot more interesting/harder end game?
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-03-25 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares66 View Post
    What?

I leveled an elemental shaman, a disc priest, a demo lock and a bear/cat druid during this expansion (all in 5.1). The elemental shaman was pure garbage leveling. Couldn't do single target DPS well enough to avoid death, some quests were just too hard because aggro was so thick and the risk of death when fighting 2+ mobs was too great. All of the rest of the specs/classes felt much MUCH stronger than elemental while leveling. I will say it was all worth it. Elemental shamans are ungodly good in raids right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchetman240 View Post
    I leveled an elemental shaman, a disc priest, a demo lock and a bear/cat druid during this expansion (all in 5.1). The elemental shaman was pure garbage leveling. Couldn't do single target DPS well enough to avoid death, some quests were just too hard because aggro was so thick and the risk of death when fighting 2+ mobs was too great. All of the rest of the specs/classes felt much MUCH stronger than elemental while leveling. I will say it was all worth it. Elemental shamans are ungodly good in raids right now.
    About what level are you talking? I'm able to kill a mob now even before he can touch me (lvl67). And the AoE dmg in dungeons is really good too.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    enhance is good for questing, flame shock>SS>LL will kill pretty much everything if you have looms until 85 or so, at which point you will burst mobs down to about 10% hp and then sit there waiting for your spells to come off cd

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotie View Post
    Go elemental. The aoe dps is crazy right now.
    yes, chain lightning spam is spectacular...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Just a little update for everyone. I decided that I don't really want to be a Shaman so I decided to go resto and level via dungeons when I have the time to experience something new/to experiment. Healing is incredibly boring at low level, isn't it? This is my first time healing and so I can only presume it must get a lot more interesting/harder end game?
    Honestly, I find resto shaman healing boring at any level, this is why I play enhancement primarily or elemental when I want a change of pace. I find that resto shaman's in group (aka raid settings) are mostly designated to raid healing with healing rain and chain heal, and because of how healing rain works, you simply set it and let it do the job for you, you don't really have a high uptime on actually healing, and your totems do a great portion of healing too, which again, is just a button to push and then you forget about it. Druids, priests, and monks I find are the more enjoyable (read engaging) healing classes.

On the topic of shaman leveling - personally I've always disliked ranged leveling, you sit back, shoot your pew pew lasers, and then have to run to the mob for looting and whatnot. Whereas melee you can typically pull a few mobs, crank them down, loot and move on super fast, especially with all the CDs that Enhancement gets, the self healing it has, and Windfury procs with heirloom gear pretty much one-shots mobs, so much fun. Just my two cents on the matter.
    Asrel - Shadow Priest <Last Attempt> US-Whisperwind
    Aretoo - Havoc DH <Last Attempt> US-Whisperwind

Deleted
    Try it at level 90 on the PTR. That was how I tried Resto for the first time and loved it

Ele/resto has the gear sharing combination that gives it versatility. Once you get CL, dungeon clearing becomes a joke due to the amount of aoe you can put out (as ele).

Deleted
    While i was leveling i went with enchancement. I did try Ele in outland and it took about 3 mobs before i went back to ench. Pretty much no haste in gear so it feels like all the casts take 2 weeks to cast. And then there is the pushback what messes it up even more.

But in dungeons it was loads of fun tho.

Now my shammy is lvl 90 and i just swapped my resto OS to ele, so im double dps now. Enchancement for soloing/whatnot, and ele for dungeons/LFR..

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely love my Elemental Shaman. No matter what other classes I play, I always come back to my Shammy. My best friend is a resto healer / enhancement too, and he loves both. Shaman just rawk all around.