Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    On introversion; being an introvert is a problem, not because it's wrong but because the way society is built it promotes extroversion.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    What makes you happy sometimes doesn't always equal to "what's good for you". And I mean phisically.
    And I stated nothing, you took it completely wrong and overreacted. If you're sensible about the issue, count to 10 before saying something, as chances are you are taking things personally.

Edit: oh and also, yes. Being introverted IS a problem. I know damn well as I'm quite introverted myself.
    As far as I'm aware, we're not talking about physical health as much as we are about mental health. So yeah, what makes you happy is a pretty big factor.
    You said "I LOVE games, but thank god I have a wife that keeps me under control, otherwise I would have a pretty sad and useless life." and "being shy or slightly introverted doesn't mean you should allow yourself to live a life of reclusion". Now, this to me means you think that someone who enjoys being alone most of the time has a sad and useless life. If that is not what you meant, then it's your fault for not being clear enough.

And being introverted is not a problem. Most great minds are introverts and they're the ones responsible for human advancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I dislike hairsplitting; you know perfectly well what's meant by social interaction in this context.

Being introverted to the extent of preferring games over people is a problem.
    I actually don't know what you mean by lack of social interaction here. Are you talking about the absolute extreme(ala Hikikomori)? Are you talking about what most people consider having no social life?

And I really don't think preffering anything over other people is a problem. Very few human beings are actually worthy of interest.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

15+ Year Old Account
    While I'm sure that's true, they can be a way for people to avoid confronting their fears. That's a problem.
    I'm sorry, why someone should confront their less favourite way of spending their free time? Avoiding confrontation with our fears is something we do when we are overwhelmed. It's someone our body enforces on us. It's irrelevant what anyone escapes into to avoid the fear. When people feel like escaping they will escape into anything that in their particular situation is most convinient. People escape both into entertaining activities and work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    As far as I'm aware, we're not talking about physical health as much as we are about mental health. So yeah, what makes you happy is a pretty big factor.
    You said "I LOVE games, but thank god I have a wife that keeps me under control, otherwise I would have a pretty sad and useless life." and "being shy or slightly introverted doesn't mean you should allow yourself to live a life of reclusion". Now, this to me means you think that someone who enjoys being alone most of the time has a sad and useless life. If that is not what you meant, then it's your fault for not being clear enough.

And being introverted is not a problem. Most great minds are introverts and they're the ones responsible for human advancement.

I actually don't know what you mean by lack of social interaction here. Are you talking about the absolute extreme(ala Hikikomori)? Are you talking about what most people consider having no social life?

And I really don't think preffering anything over other people is a problem. Very few human beings are actually worthy of interest.
    But but. You quoted my post, twisted my words and then came up with a different meaning!! And it's my fault for not being clear enough!
    An introvert life isnt sad and useless. A life spent playing video games is.
    The fact that "most great minds" spent their times improving and educating themselves instead of limiting and locking themselves in their own world is the living proof that you can always improve yourself no matter what gifts or curses nature bestow upon yourself.

Oh and also, mental health and physical health are very linked to each other. And gaming, due to the fact it has ZERO physic activity involved, is pretty harmful.
    8 hours in an office or at school then 8 more sitting again? Not cool bro.
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2013-03-25 at 02:01 PM.

I dislike hairsplitting; you know perfectly well what's meant by social interaction in this context.

Being introverted to the extent of preferring games over people is a problem.
    Preferring games over people is a problem, I agree totally.

But being an introvert boils down to (roughly) being energized when alone and not when at a party surrounded by people. It's a shame that introvert behaviour is wrongly connected to being a non socializing gamer. Me being an introvert (even before the word became "popular") has nothing to do with me also being a hardcore gamer coming up on 30 years.

What I DO think is that some gamers use the games as a substitution for a real life that might suck (bullying, abuse etc.). And this is of course not a healthy way to attack a problem - to escape into another world. At least not in the long haul.

Regarding the video...... shit's getting old. There nothing new in games and music being blamed for people being psychopaths

Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    I'm sorry, why someone should confront their less favourite way of spending their free time? Avoiding confrontation with our fears is something we do when we are overwhelmed. It's someone our body enforces on us. It's irrelevant what anyone escapes into to avoid the fear. When people feel like escaping they will escape into anything that in their particular situation is most convinient. People escape both into entertaining activities and work.
    As someone else mentioned, someone enjoying something doesn't mean it's what's best for them at all times. Behaving in a fashion where all someone wants to do is what's most funsy at a given second is the way children act.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    Again, who the fuck are you, and what's so great about your life, that makes you able to judge that living with minimal social interactions is a PROBLEM?

This goes for everyone who thinks similarly, by the way.
    It's been proven that lack of social interaction can lead to certain disorders, of both mental and physical nature. I think it's safe to say, none of us have great lifes, but we are doing our best in that direction. There's no reason to get a defensive attitude and insult us, we are just discussing about the subject, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhira View Post
    Preferring games over people is a problem, I agree totally.

But being an introvert boils down to (roughly) being energized when alone and not when at a party surrounded by people. It's a shame that introvert behaviour is wrongly connected to being a non socializing gamer. Me being an introvert (even before the word became "popular") has nothing to do with me also being a hardcore gamer coming up on 30 years.

What I DO think is that some gamers use the games as a substitution for a real life that might suck (bullying, abuse etc.). And this is of course not a healthy way to attack a problem - to escape into another world. At least not in the long haul.
    Right, right, I don't mean to say that someone's wrong to feel introverted. I think a couple people in this threat are expressing outright anti-social ideas though and then saying, "hey man, I'm an introvert, you can't say that's wrong". Introversion is fine, but actively avoiding most or all social settings in order to stare at a screen is pretty unhealthy.

Edit: oh and also, yes. Being introverted IS a problem. I know damn well as I'm quite introverted myself.
    A problem how? Being an introvert alone is not a problem imo.

Slightly OT: An interesting video about introverts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4

15+ Year Old Account
    There's ample data showing that a lack of human interaction is responsible for decreases in both mental and physical health. A life without meaningful connection to other people is objectively a less enjoyable life to live.
    Yes, we need human interaction but everyone needs a slightly different one.

And well, interacting with people via PC is also a human interaction. The difference is that via PC I interact with people I want to and in real life most often I interact with people I have too. Not to mention that real life interaction annoys me with all its posing, pretending and shallowness. I never needed or wanted to interact with many people. I do know that I need real life interaction but I prefer to have very few but meaningfull people to interact with who accept my big needs of alone time. I will block people who will try to take that time away from me.

Introversion is fine, but actively avoiding most or all social settings in order to stare at a screen is pretty unhealthy.
    You shouldn't generalize from your own personal experiences to everybody else on the planet, especially as you clearly have no real understanding of, empathy with, many of the people whose position you're arguing against.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

seriously go look at her other videos, she completely delousional, lady gagga is the devil and so forth

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course talking to a monitor would make you happy, if you're a shy person, but that, in many cases means you're allowing your shyness to limit your possibilities. Maybe by not going to that party on Friday, you're losing the chance to meet someone special of whatever.
    The thing is I did try the party life. Figured I don't like it and I don't like the people who come to parties - bunch of posers. I much more prefer to have a quite time with closest friends at home - funny enought those are friends I've met playing computer games.

The thing is people in real life are hardly themselves and expect others to not be themselves as well. The safety that PC communication gives opens for much deeper interaction because people will more likely show their true selves. Sure, there are posers on the internet as well, however, those who look for more honest interaction will much easier find it on the internet than in real life. Also, there is bigger chance that you will meet someone who suits your personality much more on the internet than in real life.

The social life I've gained via computer games is much more enjoyable than what I've had before. I find it absolutly natural and healthy to go towards things that you feel happy with.

Deleted
    Right, right, I don't mean to say that someone's wrong to feel introverted. I think a couple people in this threat are expressing outright anti-social ideas though and then saying, "hey man, I'm an introvert, you can't say that's wrong". Introversion is fine, but actively avoiding most or all social settings in order to stare at a screen is pretty unhealthy.
    I avoid social settings because people have a false sense of privilege, and are annoying and dumb, not because I want to stare at the screen.

This isolation of mine was caused by social encounters I had with people in the past. Not video games. Introversion has nothing to do with this either. The only thing introversion does is helping me cope with my current status.

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 02:16 PM ----------

Nah. That's something someone with social anxiety would say.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-03-25 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    You shouldn't generalize from your own personal experiences to everybody else on the planet, especially as you clearly have no real understanding of, empathy with, many of the people whose position you're arguing against.
    Then again, I think we can all agree that staring at a screen all day and avioding ALL social activity is pretty unhealthy.... both mentally and psychically.

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    I avoid social settings because people have a false sense of privilege, and are annoying and dumb, not because I want to stare at the screen.

This isolation of mine was caused by social encounters I had with people in the past. Not video games. Introversion has nothing to do with this. The only thing introversion does is helping me cope with my current status.
    Misanthropy is a problem, in and off itself.

I find it bizarre that there's people arguing that avoiding human interaction is a perfectly normal and healthy way to go through life.

Deleted
    Misanthropy is a problem, in and off itself.

I find it bizarre that there's people arguing that avoiding human interaction is a perfectly normal and healthy way to go through life.

No it isn't. Misanthropy doesn't mean zero social interaction. There are even couples who are misanthropic.

I am not saying that avoiding human interaction is a perfectly normal and healthy way to go through life. What I do say however, is that the lack(not total) of human interaction is less damaging than the fruitful human interaction I PERSONALLY had in the past, and the interactions with each other of those around me.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-03-25 at 02:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    What makes you happy sometimes doesn't always equal to "what's good for you". And I mean phisically.
    And I stated nothing, you took it completely wrong and overreacted. If you're sensible about the issue, count to 10 before saying something, as chances are you are taking things personally.

Actually, feeling happy is the highest value in life. People who are happy are healthier and more effective. The problem is our society tries to dictate the only true model of happiness which in fact causes a lot of people to feel unhappy because they believe they can't be happy if they don't follow the model. I've been a victim of that which caused me into serious break down. I still haven't shaken off all of that, however, following my own needs a views makes me feel so much better rather than living the life others think is better for me. I love gaming, I like my social life as it is right now which is my boyfriend, closest family and WoW friends - I'm happy with my life since the moment I stopped being ashamed of things I like.

Also, being introvertive isn't a problem if you don't make it a problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post

Nah. That's something someone with social anxiety would say.
    And how is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I remember when they said the same about comic books, then TV.
    You're 90-100 years old?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988