Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    If you can interact with people online, you can interact with people in public as well. (No offense)

But you are still interacting with people and seeing them at their best and worst. You are just killing a dragon/old god with said person.
    Doesn't work like that, I wouldn't expect an extrovert to understand. (No offense)

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Doesn't work like that, I wouldn't expect an extrovert to understand. (No offense)

Im not an extrovert by any means.

Deleted
    i just lol'd and putted the video off after 30 sec and some fast forward

Deleted
    I feel like bashing my into a concrete wall whenever i hear people talk about shit like this when they clearly don't know anything about it

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    So basically, she is saying that computer games destroy your social life, soul and eventually leads you to hell. I should say that i find it quite laughable that people like that are even allowed to speak on the internet.

Computer games are not the cause of violence / social detachment, they would blame movies if games did not exist (And i think they actually do). In my honest opinion the cause of these things is violation of age restricted games, i wouldnt want my little brother playing GTA or such at the age of 8 and growing up thinking that these things are ok, the young are easilly impressionable.

And about the social destroying aspect of games, anything taken in excess is destructive as many have already stated, that is a well known fact, i find it funny that some parents fail to limit the time their kids spend on video games or even the type of games their kids play and then blame the games themselves, seems like bad parents looking for an excuse to me.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dekal View Post
    i wouldnt want my little brother playing GTA or such at the age of 8 and growing up thinking that these things are ok, the young are easilly impressionable..
    Myself i played gta 2+3 when i were under 10, and also some random rampage game where you just went and shoot everyone you could in the city, i dont remember the games name tho... And i turned up atleast i think so a normal dude never adapted the games its ok to steal/kill shit obviously.
    Last edited by ebah; 2013-03-25 at 10:39 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    A sidenote. I've heard that when phones where first introduced to the masses, there were plenty of doomsayers who claimed it will kill social life because people stop seeing each other and only talk on the phone :P So basicly, each era will have one "social life killer" ^^

I only got about 20 seconds in before I shut it off.

One thing that irks me is she says we engage in this fantasy world and it doesn't amount up to anything. I find this very hypocyritcal. If she has read a book about anything that isn't educational she is engaging in a fantasy world.

Its like saying

Video games will destroy your life because you like the game more then real life.

However if you engage in the new harry potter film its okay...
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

I got to 17 seconds, because somebody mentioning lolling at 15. Don't have to see more though.
    This is no different than any other person that doesn't understand why some people spend time on something they don't like, and therefore think it's bad.
    They said the same when the radio was invented.

Mad person be preaching, and should be ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    I prefer to believe all the scientific experiments done that examine what people are like. Science has determined its about a 90-10 split. 90% of the people are selfish. They simply don't care about other people. The other 10% do care. Sure, they are out there. But they are few.

Even in terms of World of Warcraft I see the same thing. I used to be in a guild. I'd take the initiative to go farm mats for raids. I was the only one who bothered. Most people didn't even show up on time. They simply didn't care they were wasting everyone else's time by showing up 25 minutes late. In a group of about 40, I would count about 2-3 others besides myself that cared about others. And that's very close to the scientific studies I saw where only 10% care. And this goes beyond WoW. Its everywhere.
    10% isn't bad. It's not like you like everybody anyway.
    Just find those that care if it matters to you. To me it depends on the lvl of the relation to them.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Even though the video has plenty of flaws, she does have a point. Except for some sort of long distance communication, I can't see any advantages of computer games. I see people saying that socializing is overrated, but ask any psychologist about the effect PC games have on human behavior and pay attention to the response. Sadly, I still play Starcraft ocasionally, but I'm on the right track to get rid of any useless activities and stop wasting my life on meaningless games.

I don't expect gamers to agree with me, because I've been in your shoes, and denied the problem my 'hobby' caused. In a nutshell, talking to people, reading, gaining knowledge, exercise, trips, silly time spent with friends is much better than chasing achievements in a video game that will be forgotten in a few months.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the whole thing was stupid from the beginning and stoped watching when she started to talk about "rebellion against god and not needing salvation". I can realize that even without computer games...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayona View Post
    I wouldnt take anything she said seriously, shes crazy. There's an 11 minute video of her talking about how lady gaga is working for the devil.
    Aaaaaaaand she just lost all credibility entirely. I respect religion but stuff like that just makes me wanna weep. Reminds me of those videos about Harry Potter being the work of the devil and all those that watch it go to hell! Extreme case obviously but still, I stay away from people like that because I'm an atheist.

Stopped after 30 seconds, because it was already ridiculous. But I'll still give my thoughts on the title.

I know people that are big into gaming, but they are very outgoing and become friends with everyone they come across. So I don't think computer games destroy anyone's social life. I think it's more that it's natural for socially awkward people to flock to online communities as a way to supplement or replace their social interactions.
    So I think the 2 are related, just not in the way this woman thinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

10+ Year Old Account
    As a child;
    Having lazy parents destroys your life, we (parents) need to take a lively approach to moderating our childrens behaviors.

As an adult;
    Being lazy idiots destroys our lives, we (adults) need to moderate our entertainment mileage and ensure we participate in other things as well (work, significant others, children, etc etc.).

As a game;
    Be a game.

Not sure Game gets up in the morning and gets out its checklist of peoples lives to destroy.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Games like WoW are basically a social life in themselves...you may not be seeing them face to face but you're still talking to real people..granted it's not the real "social life" that everyone thinks of but it does still build social experience, just in a different manner. either way, you should take your life outside of Azeroth or whatever other games you're playing and go meet ppl =P

One of the overriding themes of the most 'social' period of my life (university) was that basically everyone played some form of video game, usually with their friends.

Here's the thing, introverts and social in-adept people will naturally shy away from real social interactions. However, online gaming offers them a safe & controlled environment to socialize in. It can serve as training for the real thing.

So there, I adressed her only reasonable rant. The rest of the video is just religious nut-job 101.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I just knew God was getting mentioned before the end of that vid... Deluded and awful person...and who pleads to youtube with such a message, add retarded to her list of attributes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    I just knew God was getting mentioned before the end of that vid... Deluded and awful person...and who pleads to youtube with such a message, add retarded to her list of attributes.
    Many people use Youtube to get their terrible messages out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Many people use Youtube to get their terrible messages out there.
    Oh yeah..but of all places to go on a religious rant against gaming