2h Frost: Haste plateau?

So I'm still a little confused whether to start gemming Str over going full out haste. If I go full-out haste, I would have a little over 12k haste rating. That's close to 29% haste, which is ALOT. I've ran multiple sims with the fight style at light movement since the majority of encounters in ToT requires movement. The results keep coming out as haste > strength. If I gem str and str/haste, my dps would come out 1k lower than I would full out haste according to simcraft.

So my question is there a point to where we stop gemming full haste and focus on strength?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewelder View Post
    So my question is there a point to where we stop gemming full haste and focus on strength?
    Yes, it's when you start getting enough runic power from anti magic shell to still be gcd locked with strength gems.

Where this point is will depend on the content you are doing and your gear level.

Last tier during heroic progress I played 2h frost for a while, I had 11k haste when I was gemming it but felt like that was far too much and eventually settled for full strength gems which put me at about 8k haste. That was much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    Yes, it's when you start getting enough runic power from anti magic shell to still be gcd locked with strength gems.

Where this point is will depend on the content you are doing and your gear level.

Last tier during heroic progress I played 2h frost for a while, I had 11k haste when I was gemming it but felt like that was far too much and eventually settled for full strength gems which put me at about 8k haste. That was much more comfortable.
    Yeah, I figured it was time to focus on strength now since 12k haste feels like an overkill.

By the way, I'm still not 100% familiar with simcraft. I ran plots tonight on str/haste with str and str/haste gems. Does the chart mean strength overtakes haste at this point for me?

Last edited by Thewelder; 2013-03-24 at 04:37 AM.

Go for less Haste. Simcraft doesn't account for AMS generating tons of RP on magic-heavy encounters.

The fact that the gradient of the strength line is steeper means that gaining X strength is a larger damage increase than gaining X haste.

The fact that the gradient of the haste line is over half of the gradient of the strength line means that gaining 2X haste is a larger damage increase than gaining X strength, so in sim conditions haste gems would be the way to go.

In my opinion strength is still better in real life situations, unless you can't count on free runic power for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    Go for less Haste. Simcraft doesn't account for AMS generating tons of RP on magic-heavy encounters.
    Pretty sure the authors have stated over and over that it does infact take soaking into account and uses it on CD. More to the point though, never gem straight Haste as 2H Frost even if the sim is telling you to. Real world results rarely look like "light movement", never mind "patchwerk".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    In my opinion strength is still better in real life situations, unless you can't count on free runic power for whatever reason.
    This.
    We had the discussion in another thread fairly recently. Anywhere past 6-6.5k haste is pretty reasonable level to never run out of resources IMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Pretty sure the authors have stated over and over that it does infact take soaking into account and uses it on CD. More to the point though, never gem straight Haste as 2H Frost even if the sim is telling you to. Real world results rarely look like "light movement", never mind "patchwerk".
    Nay, the option's in there if you want to add a line for AMS soaking, i.e. actions+=/antimagic_shell,damage=100000 but it's not in there by default. Add it in and see your haste weights drop significantly. And ye, gem strength(+haste if yellow) any day,

It always seems to be a safe bet to take your best secondary stat and do str/[2nd stat] gems all day.

But like vmagik said, you can add in AMS to the priority list, if it's for a fight that supports such a playstyle, and see what happens. Keep in mind not all fights have reliable, on AMS CD, soaking situations.

STR is better on any fight where you can abuse diseases, of which there are a few in ToT