Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

350 MS ok for Heroic Raiding?

As title asks is 350 MS playable/efficiently playable for a dps for sub 500 guild raiding? I recently moved from EU to the other side of the world : New Zealand, and the best MS I can get is 350 MS as a net cafe. I've played top 200 guilds for a while, still want to play at a challenging level.

I've installed Leatrix and wtfast but my MS remains the same, I'm not sure whether the net caf would block such programs.

I'd play on US servers, but it would take too much time to get a new character to 90 and geared for heroic modes for tier 15, and too much time.

Anyone have any experience playing in NZ or this side of the world raided heroics? Anything you could recommend? I guess things would be worse as a healer..

Cheers, and thanks for the comments in advance.
    Last edited by Ekkoeu; 2013-03-19 at 08:56 AM.

Deleted
    Hm maybe it wouldnt matter all to much for a dps, but still 350 ms is abit of delay, know that I for sure would feel crippled with that delay but i guess you would get used to it after a while

I'm usually having 30-35 ms, then sometimes it spikes to 200 ms and it's just unplayable for me. 350 ms? I wouldn't even bother, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    I'm usually having 30-35 ms, then sometimes it spikes to 200 ms and it's just unplayable for me. 350 ms? I wouldn't even bother, sorry.
    I regularly play with anywhere from 150-350ms, it's not that bad. It may be bad to you cause you're used to very low latency but for me it's completely playable even in heroic raids.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    keyword is spike

350ms should be playable if it's stable.
    You can and will get used to latency if it's constant, and it will be totally playable (as long as it's reasonable ofc, playing with over 500ms would start to get hard). What makes it unplayable is spikes, with high but constant latency your brain will adapt and you won't even notice it, but if you have spikes you won't be able to adapt and it will be completely impossible to play properly.

Can it be done, sure. Will it be easy, no. You will just need to know the fights extremely well and move based on anticipation more then reaction. There will also be times that your timing is off and you will just shit the bed until you die. Something like the 1st boss in HoF if you got out of sink with the 2 types of orbs spinning out from him you are going to die. Best of luck to you, I have played with some bad lag or fps over the years and it sucks.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Should be no problem if it's constant 350ms. I'm playing with nearly the same and it's no proble for me =)

350 MS is what Aussies have been playing at since Vanilla (it was actually probably higher back then). You'll be more than fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was playing in the UK with a normal connection and getting a lag spike every 3 mins for about 2-6 seconds, that was infuriating, I quit the guild I was in and quit the game cause of it! At least this connection is constant. It's a gaming caf, so I think they have fibre. Surprised that Leatrix had no affect. Guess I'll just have to get used to it, and all the screaming kids in here!! At least I'll be playing in the morning while they're asleep/at school! Thanks for responses, interesting to see Aussies been playing like this since release, however the game was far easier back then imo. Is Suit Up the main Aussie/pacific guild, is there one? Cheers

Deleted
    I play with 3 FPS and 250ms constantly. You just need to get the hang of it, you won't even notice it after a while.

350 MS kinda sucks if you have to interrupt a sub 1 second cast (last time I saw one of those was T11).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    350 MS kinda sucks if you have to interrupt a sub 1 second cast (last time I saw one of those was T11).
    Yup. Good luck with Maloriak add cast interrupts.

Also Halfus had that shadow nova which was interrupted right? In fact I'm sure I was interrupting that as an enha shaman. Just checked and it was 0,5 sec cast according to wowhead. 350 ms and that's hard.
    Last edited by mmocfb9e2d35fb; 2013-03-19 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekkoeu View Post
    As title asks is 350 MS playable/efficiently playable for a dps for sub 500 guild raiding? I recently moved from EU to the other side of the world : New Zealand, and the best MS I can get is 350 MS as a net cafe. I've played top 200 guilds for a while, still want to play at a challenging level.

I've installed Leatrix and wtfast but my MS remains the same, I'm not sure whether the net caf would block such programs.

I'd play on US servers, but it would take too much time to get a new character to 90 and geared for heroic modes for tier 15, and too much time.

Anyone have any experience playing in NZ or this side of the world raided heroics? Anything you could recommend? I guess things would be worse as a healer..

Cheers, and thanks for the comments in advance.
    To be honest, that ms is huge, but you get used to it, I guess. Don't worry about it until it really cripples your play. Good luck m8.

Deleted
    Im spoiled, anything over 100 MS and i cry bit inside (average 15-20 ms in raids )
    But have you sorted how windows sends packets ?
    Usually its a good 50% reducement in ms and 99% of players have no idea or dont care

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/w...08-tweaks-2574
    Apply the fixes until Direct cache access (dca)
    Then do the registry fix here(its also in the first guide but link below has pictures..):
    http://windows7themes.net/how-to-imp...windows-7.html

Should bring you closer to the <200 ms mark

Edit. When you say net cafe, are you gaming on wireless ?
    Its a huge no no, if you do, sort a proper connection first...

Edit2. When/if you apply the fixes above you have to disable wow's ingame network optimizer, having both is gonna make it worse...

Edit3. lol, lots of edits, but i checked out leatrix and it does half the work guides above does but it shouldn't cause any conflicts, you could probably skip the registry fix as it should have done it for you, but double check.
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2013-03-19 at 11:50 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirg View Post
    I play with 3 FPS and 250ms constantly. You just need to get the hang of it, you won't even notice it after a while.
    3 fps??? I'd rather play minesweeper for 3 hours than playing wow with 3 fps...

Being mostly a lurker, I rarely post here , but I would say that 350ms is not as bad as it sounds if its stable, I have been playing with 200ms for last 4years on eu servers from asia and never faced any issue , and I cleared ds full hc at 15% , 8/16 hc last tier and 8/12 normal atm in TOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorant View Post
    Yup. Good luck with Maloriak add cast interrupts.

Also Halfus had that shadow nova which was interrupted right? In fact I'm sure I was interrupting that as an enha shaman. Just checked and it was 0,5 sec cast according to wowhead. 350 ms and that's hard.
    The 0.5sec cast time was offset by freeing the bronze drake to slow him and make the cast be I believe 1.5sec.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually that indicates for people like us a larger/partially-registered flux in our bandwidth rather than a consistent 'this is your delay from the server' problem.

I'm the same, I will usually have a 42ms connection and if it dips I start stuttering around and seeing people jogging on the spot, the dip is actually MUCH larger than 200ms, or 500ms, but it happens so quickly that WoW doesn't really register it as large as it's actually is.

However a consistent 350ms is fine. I once raided from Florida to the EU servers with a steady 300ms connection. I managed Heroic Sindragosa without a hitch. I will say that it doesn't allow you much room for error since you MAY find that you've taken a tick of something you usually would have already moved out of and on your screen you did, but the server disagrees.

Make sure the connection is smooth and install Leatrix, you'll do fine.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

350ms is playable if it stays at 350ms. If it spikes up to 500, then you'll be dying a lot.

What a lot of non-Oceanic players don't seem to understand about MS is comfort. I usually sit around 250 while raiding and it's fine, if it goes up to 300 then I'll feel that it's lagging a lot because I'm not used to the extra latency. The same thing happens for US players, if you usually have 10ms and it goes up to 100 you'll feel you are lagging a lot, even though 100 is a lot less than lots of other people play with.

As long as your connection is stable and you feel fine playing at 350 MS then it's fine. Just don't expect to be top DPS in a US guild if every GCD is delayed by 0.35 seconds. Also a non-channeled caster class would probably be your best bet as a DPS with higher latency.