Deleted

Nvidia GTX 670 FTW SLI WOW

Hi guys there are many different things people say wondering if someone can shed some light on it. I know wow is mainly a CPU intense game im running Intel I7 3770K OC at 4.1ghz and single gtx 670 ftw card If I Sli the 670 as I have another 1 from my other machine will it increase performance in wow? I find when I record or stream game starts lagging even though my game is on my ssd and im recording on my secondary hard drive which is a barracuda 7200rpm hard disk.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Deleted
    SLI and wow don't work well for performance gain , you'd be better off by overclocking your CPU more.
    also perhaps a silly question but you do have hyperthreading enabled?

Deleted
    Lol where would hyperthreading be? also i take it my cpu is more then enough to do the things i want and play wow smooth?

10+ Year Old Account
    ive heard mixed answers about WoW with SLI

EU Blue Post and US MVP Post.

these are dated from last year so not sure if they are current.

and here's another from Toms Hardware.
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daani View Post
    Lol where would hyperthreading be? also i take it my cpu is more then enough to do the things i want and play wow smooth?
    in the bios with settings where you overclocked the cpu. (unless you did it via a software tool)
    wow is very very cpu hungry in the first place and streaming/recording makes it reach 100% load easy. (hyperthreading enabled would allow for 4 extra logical cores to double performance for the streaming/recording part)
    best option would be to check the overclocking en cpu settings regarding HT. (wow scales really well with even higher overclocks)

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow works with SLI. Period. First hand experience with SLI GTX 460s. It scaled, given scenarios where it wasn't CPU-limited (open world, new zones). But one 670 should be able to carry the graphics computing on its own. Given normal resolutions.

EU Blue Lurdlespor was wrong, for that matter. It worked a year ago as well. But it's no secret I hope that Blizz EU employees knows squat about the game they supposedly are representing.
    Last edited by Wries; 2013-03-24 at 03:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain that a single 670 is more than enough to handle any GPU requirements wow has. Two would just be a waste, imo.

First hand experience with SLI GTX 460s.
    Comparing two 460s to two 670s is like comparing a Honda Civic to a Subaru WRX. One goes toot toot to work, one is built stock for racing. I can see SLI working for two 460s, and actually giving some performance gain... not 670s.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm fairly certain that a single 670 is more than enough to handle any GPU requirements wow has. Two would just be a waste, imo.

Comparing two 460s to two 670s is like comparing a Honda Civic to a Subaru WRX. One goes toot toot to work, one is built stock for racing. I can see SLI working for two 460s, and actually giving some performance gain... not 670s.
    Car analogies are great. The question there was if there was SLI support for the game. It is. Have you ever dabbled with SLI yourself, and know how it works etc? In theory if it works with 460s it should work with any pair of cards. That it isn't necessary with 670 is another matter, that I also included in my original post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Car analogies are great. The question there was if there was SLI support for the game. It is. Have you ever dabbled with SLI yourself, and know how it works etc? In theory if it works with 460s it should work with any pair of cards. That it isn't necessary with 670 is another matter, that I also included in my original post.
    Are you new here?

Deleted
    Ive checked and I have hyperthreading available. will sli give me a big enough increase to make it worth while? and any suggestions on a safe OC im on 4.1ghz atm, Watercooled with corsair h80 asus sabertooth z77 motherboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    Are you new here?
    No? Can't you check my posts?

Ive checked and I have hyperthreading available. will sli give me a big enough increase to make it worth while? and any suggestions on a safe OC im on 4.1ghz atm, Watercooled with corsair h80 asus sabertooth z77 motherboard.
    There is no simple way to say "yeah, x settings should work", unfortunately. Though presumably maybe you can just raise the multiplier to 42-43 without touching anything else. Check if your board has an auto-oc feature, and see if it can raise it higher. Otherwise it's time to check some guides (link) (other link)
    As for SLI. No. Especially if it's just a fraps scenario. That adds load to the CPU rather than GPU.

Try running for example crystaldiskmark on your harddrive to make sure it isn't malfunctioning, either. Should be closer to 100MB/s write (though probably less) than 10.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, SLI gives very nominal performance gain over a single card. And if you can't run the game at 1080p with a single 670 without having issues, then something else is wrong. I ran the game on ultra on a single 5770 with an AMD 1050T processor clocked over 4 Ghz when I was playing and doing 25 man raids in Cataclysm and the only time I had a FPS drop was on twin dragons in Bastion of Twilight. CPU speed is what matters, overclocking to 4.5 Ghz is pretty common among people who play WoW here.

Deleted
    how would i know my oc is ok? all i did was change the ratio to 4.1 on the cores is that rright?

10+ Year Old Account
    how would i know my oc is ok? all i did was change the ratio to 4.1 on the cores is that rright?
    You should let it run a stability test.

Very common one is Prime95, but it takes a long time for that program to crash an unstable system.

If I Sli the 670 as I have another 1 from my other machine will it increase performance in wow?
    Not on 1920x1080 or lower resolution.

I find when I record or stream game starts lagging even though my game is on my ssd and im recording on my secondary hard drive
    What's your "lagging"? For example 40fps in raids while recording with fraps is totally normal for your hardware, and 15-20fps if you try 1080p streaming.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

SLI'ing 670's for WoW is just adding more frame latency, nothing else. You just simply won't gain extra fps in raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...an_SLI/20.html

Seems to be running OK, not the best SLI support but ok.

Also why won't you just plug the 670 in and try mate ?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I currently have two 670 FTWs and when I had to RMA one due to a fan malfunction, I didn't notice a difference at all from one to two at 1080p in WoW or SC2.
    CPU - i9 9900k | CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | Motherboard - MSI Z390 Godlike | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti
    RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | SSD - 2x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe | PSU - EVGA Supernova 750w P2 |Case - Corsair Air 540