Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    I like the amount, it's palpable, as opposed to MTG which has over 20,000 cards I saw somebody mention here. It's nice to be able to have a fully working knowledge of the game without turning it into academia.
    I agree. I always try to know as much as possible before starting, or at least know as much as possible as soon as I can. 20.000 cards would disencourage me to even attempt to start. This is manageable, and even with expansions it will take a while for it to grow to absurd levels. Although to be honest, I think Blizz would cull cards before they'd let the game become too large for beginners to get into.
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

I'm assuming they will add content "expansions" named something like "Heroes of Diablo" and "Heroes of Starcraft" that include characters from those stories and lore, in addition to new Warcraft cards.

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    I'm assuming they will add content "expansions" named something like "Heroes of Diablo" and "Heroes of Starcraft" that include characters from those stories and lore, in addition to new Warcraft cards.
    Diablo maybe (but unlikely), but the devs already ruled out Starcraft content completely. I'd rather keep it a Warcraft game anyways.

Yeah, seems small to me too, but they'll add more later I'm sure.

S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Trixie for World Domination)
    A (Sensational™)

The first WoW TCG set only had 380 cards total, and that's a considerably more complex game with more types of cards.

Each time they release an expansion set for HS, they'll probably introduce another 100-200 cards. Within a coupld years we could easily be well over 1000 cards.

MtG doesn't really have 20k cards. If you play Standard, like everyone else, it's not that daunting to begin. The 2014 core set is releasing soon, an ideal moment to start anew and join your local FNM pub.

I think 300 cards is a pretty decent amount to start with ; if you start with a massive amount of cards, then building the deck you want, with the RNG of booster packs is going to be painful - whilst I know you can craft cards, a lot of people are going to be hoping to get lucky and get that special legendary they want through a booster pack. If 300 cards was all they'd ever have, then yeah, it'd probably feel a little low, but I'm sure they'll add new editions/decks as time went by.

For example, duels of the planeswalker (the mtg pc game, not to be confused with mtg online), has 2000 cards, but that includes all your basic lands and a number of those are from premium DLC decks that were added over time. The very first duels of the planeswalker release on PC had 500 cards, including lands.
    Moderator of Professions & Garrisons | General Discussion | Diablo 3 | Guild Wars 2
    Please take the time to read the Forum Guidelines & Sig Guidelines

Currently playing: Warlords of Draenor | Diablo 3 | Hex TCG | Heroes of the Storm
    Steam

It's a good starting point as most have said. I'm confident that blizzard is also trying out its luck and see if it has much acceptance from the fans. If it goes well and have a lot of players i'm sure blizzard will jump and make more available as people demand more variety.

Integration with battle net will also be sweet. Playing a fast game with a guildie while waiting for raid time, just chilling will be sweet and add more value even to games like wow, even tough it's not inside the game it "feels" like its an added feature to wow due to bnet easy integration.

I talked to the lead designer (John I believe) for the game at PAX yesterday. There is about 500 cards in game. Each card took about 1hr to create. He has been living in a basement like work environment lol he said it was pretty surreal to see it out in the open. The level of secrecy the teams work in is crazy. Lessons learned from titan i guess..

I think its pretty reasonable. It keeps balance controllable while the design team is finding their feet, and for most TCG/CCG's 250-300 is on the larger end of the scale from what I've seen, though most don't deal with 11 mutually-exclusive card groups (11 + 2 I guess with classes & faction to consider).

What I'm most surprised about is that fact that they are making the digital game at all when a paper version exists. I'm not sure if that is going to help or harm the paper version though, you'll get some who swap to the online one, some who play both, and some who might take up the paper version after getting into the online one.

The only issue I experienced while playing the iPad version was RNG.. In one game I got all minions and no abilities..

Quote Originally Posted by kennyisnotdead View Post
    The only issue I experienced while playing the iPad version was RNG.. In one game I got all minions and no abilities..
    Yeah RNG might be rather a complicating factor in this game. With the short games they have in mind it might well turn out that good RNG is just as important as good strategy. If you don't get the cards you need early thhe game might be over before you do get them.
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

Mechagnome
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah RNG might be rather a complicating factor in this game. With the short games they have in mind it might well turn out that good RNG is just as important as good strategy. If you don't get the cards you need early thhe game might be over before you do get them.
    As in any TCG that is often times a sign that you didn't build your deck the right way, or your opponent is out-classing you which will happen.

It's like someone saying poker is all about RNG, but that's only people that don't understand probability and synergy when deck building.

300 is jsut the release amount, will be plenty for people to get the hang of the game etc, and then they can patch more in later, by adding expansions etc just like the WoWTCG

Quote Originally Posted by thigan View Post
    Well for once isn't a TCG, so for the first expansion I would say is very good number.
    This right here.

There are a lot of TCG's that started their first set with way less than 300 cards and grew big over time. Don't worry.

It will increase. I am sure.

I think its 300 unique cards (something around that number at least) but if you want to catch em a... ejem... collect all fot them then that number more that doubles (theres this hole thing with golden cards and what have you) so you bet that its not too small.

The good thing is, you dont "need" more than 2 each because you build decks from the library of cards you own, so you don´t need 2 of card X for your Jaina deck and 2 more for the Thrall deck. Thats cool imo and its a good sign that I will probably play the game and even spend some cash on it. Also the last thing that will make play or not is card pack prices and drop rates. I played MTG for a while but the game became too much of a cash dump for what it was so I just switched to video games for my game entertaintment and forgot about the thing. I loved it but I couldnt keep up with the rate of change and the prices. Hopefully Blizzard will be less agressive with their selling strat.

Finally, you can bet someone will spend like 500 dollars on day one and get all the cards right away XD.

300 cards are fine, there isn't resource cards in game so its great number.

300 is fine.

1.Magic the gathering started with 295 cards in August 5, 1993
    Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Gathering_sets

2. Pokemon started with 102 cards in the US version in January 9, 1999.
    Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._sets#Base_Set

Seriously, have to wait.

300 is a good starting point. Just look at MTG Beta/Unlimited/Revised. Plus, these decks are going to be half the size of MTG. For a new CCG, it'll take time for people to get used to mechanics, etc... don't want to have them read like 1000 cards at the same time