Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'm assuming they will add content "expansions" named something like "Heroes of Diablo" and "Heroes of Starcraft" that include characters from those stories and lore, in addition to new Warcraft cards.

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    I'm assuming they will add content "expansions" named something like "Heroes of Diablo" and "Heroes of Starcraft" that include characters from those stories and lore, in addition to new Warcraft cards.
    Diablo maybe (but unlikely), but the devs already ruled out Starcraft content completely. I'd rather keep it a Warcraft game anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, seems small to me too, but they'll add more later I'm sure.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

15+ Year Old Account
    The first WoW TCG set only had 380 cards total, and that's a considerably more complex game with more types of cards.

Each time they release an expansion set for HS, they'll probably introduce another 100-200 cards. Within a coupld years we could easily be well over 1000 cards.

Deleted
    MtG doesn't really have 20k cards. If you play Standard, like everyone else, it's not that daunting to begin. The 2014 core set is releasing soon, an ideal moment to start anew and join your local FNM pub.

Deleted
    I think 300 cards is a pretty decent amount to start with ; if you start with a massive amount of cards, then building the deck you want, with the RNG of booster packs is going to be painful - whilst I know you can craft cards, a lot of people are going to be hoping to get lucky and get that special legendary they want through a booster pack. If 300 cards was all they'd ever have, then yeah, it'd probably feel a little low, but I'm sure they'll add new editions/decks as time went by.

For example, duels of the planeswalker (the mtg pc game, not to be confused with mtg online), has 2000 cards, but that includes all your basic lands and a number of those are from premium DLC decks that were added over time. The very first duels of the planeswalker release on PC had 500 cards, including lands.

Deleted
    It's a good starting point as most have said. I'm confident that blizzard is also trying out its luck and see if it has much acceptance from the fans. If it goes well and have a lot of players i'm sure blizzard will jump and make more available as people demand more variety.

Integration with battle net will also be sweet. Playing a fast game with a guildie while waiting for raid time, just chilling will be sweet and add more value even to games like wow, even tough it's not inside the game it "feels" like its an added feature to wow due to bnet easy integration.

I talked to the lead designer (John I believe) for the game at PAX yesterday. There is about 500 cards in game. Each card took about 1hr to create. He has been living in a basement like work environment lol he said it was pretty surreal to see it out in the open. The level of secrecy the teams work in is crazy. Lessons learned from titan i guess..

I think its pretty reasonable. It keeps balance controllable while the design team is finding their feet, and for most TCG/CCG's 250-300 is on the larger end of the scale from what I've seen, though most don't deal with 11 mutually-exclusive card groups (11 + 2 I guess with classes & faction to consider).

What I'm most surprised about is that fact that they are making the digital game at all when a paper version exists. I'm not sure if that is going to help or harm the paper version though, you'll get some who swap to the online one, some who play both, and some who might take up the paper version after getting into the online one.

The only issue I experienced while playing the iPad version was RNG.. In one game I got all minions and no abilities..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyisnotdead View Post
    The only issue I experienced while playing the iPad version was RNG.. In one game I got all minions and no abilities..
    Yeah RNG might be rather a complicating factor in this game. With the short games they have in mind it might well turn out that good RNG is just as important as good strategy. If you don't get the cards you need early thhe game might be over before you do get them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah RNG might be rather a complicating factor in this game. With the short games they have in mind it might well turn out that good RNG is just as important as good strategy. If you don't get the cards you need early thhe game might be over before you do get them.
    As in any TCG that is often times a sign that you didn't build your deck the right way, or your opponent is out-classing you which will happen.

It's like someone saying poker is all about RNG, but that's only people that don't understand probability and synergy when deck building.

15+ Year Old Account
    300 is jsut the release amount, will be plenty for people to get the hang of the game etc, and then they can patch more in later, by adding expansions etc just like the WoWTCG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thigan View Post
    Well for once isn't a TCG, so for the first expansion I would say is very good number.
    This right here.

There are a lot of TCG's that started their first set with way less than 300 cards and grew big over time. Don't worry.

It will increase. I am sure.

300 cards are fine, there isn't resource cards in game so its great number.

300 is fine.

1.Magic the gathering started with 295 cards in August 5, 1993
    Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Gathering_sets

2. Pokemon started with 102 cards in the US version in January 9, 1999.
    Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._sets#Base_Set

Seriously, have to wait.

300 is a good starting point. Just look at MTG Beta/Unlimited/Revised. Plus, these decks are going to be half the size of MTG. For a new CCG, it'll take time for people to get used to mechanics, etc... don't want to have them read like 1000 cards at the same time

I have never played or even looked at the wow TCG, is it fun at all? I am a huge MTG player from back before they screwed it all up after the Invasion set. In fact we played in our circle and tournaments, that you couldn't use cards newer than Apocalypse. But back OT it seems small to me as I have something like 10k MTG cards and only have like 15-20 decks. 8 of which I would play in a tournament.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No doubt more will be added as time goes by. Magic The Gathering...now that's a lot of cards
    MTG started with 300 or so, too.

And consider; that was including land cards. Hearthstone's resource system isn't in the cards (though some cards affect it; lands cards WERE the main resource for MTG). That was also including 5 different "colors", each of which had their unique layouts; Hearthstone has a lot of shared "all classes" cards that aren't class-specific. In MTG, you needed low-power critters for every color; everyone needs 1/1s and the like. In Hearthstone, a single "all classes" 1/1 fills that gap.

300's a fine number, particularly as it should be easy for them to add additional cards; there's a wealth of existing artwork for Blizzard to make use of, and an already-existing source for new classes and concepts. Besides adding DKs and Monks, they can add secondary classes as well; by this I mean adding things like Necromancers and Demon Hunters and such, things that haven't made it into WoW though they have a clear place in lore. They could even do certain races as "classes", things like Ogre Mage (Cho'gall as the hero) and Qiraji (General Rajaxx? Twin Emperors? Tons to pick from). Given how easy it would be to turn those out, it wouldn't be surprising to see a new "expansion" every few months, at least to start.