Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Just so you guys know

There are over 300 cards with plans on introducing additional cards over time. I can't really give you a specific number right now as I'm sure the devs would probably want to speak to that in future interviews.
    So we dont know yet how many cards there are.

they can always add more with expansion sets

You also gotta remember in MTG, standard deck sizes was 60 cards and usually like say the MTG: duels of the planeswalkers games on steam 1/3 was land. I think the max deck you can have in hearthstone from the reveal video was 30 cards total. So its going to be a big difference.

I remember playing the pokemon card game back in the day when their was only 150 pokemon and there could not have been that many special cards when it first came out, 300 isnt bad, also when u collect cards you tend to get alot of repeats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also keep in mind that they're limited a little by the universe the card games reflects. Magic: The Gathering can create more universes as long as they want, because the story allows that. This card game is limited by Warcraft's universe. Starting with 300 is pretty good; as Endus said, MTG started with around 300, and they have to deal with lands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Also keep in mind that they're limited a little by the universe the card games reflects. Magic: The Gathering can create more universes as long as they want, because the story allows that. This card game is limited by Warcraft's universe. Starting with 300 is pretty good; as Endus said, MTG started with around 300, and they have to deal with lands.
    Well, that's not really a huge limitation. You wouldn't, for instance, have a "Furbolg" card. You'd have Furbolgs, and Furbolg Pathfinders, Shaman, Warriors, Windcallers, Den Wardens, Ambushers, Totemics, Trackers, Ursas, Chiefs, etc. You could do multiple tribes of furbolgs, with slightly different abilities. Furbolg elites like Hogger. And so on. If I sat down and worked at it for a day or two, I could probably work up a 50-75 card Furbolg-themed expansion. And furbolgs aren't exactly a major lore player, in the setting.

Deleted
    I think with the game just starting out flooding the game with thousands of cards while people are trying to learn the ropes is just going to put more people off than it would attract. They'll add more over time and it will build itself up if everything goes well.

Nice number for a release. TCG games get thousands of expensions and new decks almost every 3 months so I believe the numbers is right for new players who has no experience in this kind of games.

Deleted
    starting games like this never should have too many cards at start.

however once they have released it and we're a couple months in they can easily start adding more and more of their already excisting TCG cards.

On a similar note, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Diablo and Starcraft themed expansions.

Once and for all, we can answer the age old question: who would win in a fight between Kerrigan, Queen of Blades, and Arthas, the Lich King?

So yeah, there's plenty of room to expand the game.

If you take a look at the cards we know about, is impossible that the game only has 300 cards, unless they cut existing ones. At least 350 cards is my estimation. (25 each class plus 125 neutrals).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    300 is a good starting point, but no doubt they will add more very soon
    Exactly how I feel. Whenever I play card games, I usually go by the picture to recognize it since I am near sighted and I don't really feel like holding a card to my face to see what it does. For most games I can remember all my cards (duh), my friends cards, the current top cards, and the old favorites in-case they come back again. 300 is a GREAT number to start off with, this way you don't have to scratch your head every time your opponent plays a card after the first few games; it makes for a much faster paced game overall in my opinion.

I did not see a pause feature or a feature to look at a card to see what it does, but then again this game does not seem to have cards that are THAT dangerous/game changing besides spell cards that go away after 1 use and the text is usually very clear when it is played. Perhaps we have just not seen a pause/zoom in feature yet but it might be in beta/live.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    On a similar note, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Diablo and Starcraft themed expansions.

Once and for all, we can answer the age old question: who would win in a fight between Kerrigan, Queen of Blades, and Arthas, the Lich King?

So yeah, there's plenty of room to expand the game.
    metzen said kerrigan would win
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I believe they will have around ~350ish cards upon release which will be more than enough for the initial offering. However, they will need to start regularly releasing expansions (4-6 month blocks) if they want to keep the game fresh enough to survive the deckbuilding masses.

If the game is successful, my guess is that there will be easily over 1000 cards available one year after release. It seems like adding content to Hearthstone should be quite a bit easier than adding it to WoW, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Braggia View Post
    If the game is successful, my guess is that there will be easily over 1000 cards available one year after release. It seems like adding content to Hearthstone should be quite a bit easier than adding it to WoW, for example.
    Is not that easy, they need new mechanics for keeping things interesting, and some can be a pain in the ass to code/debug. Also many cards have spell effects, and you need to tune them, we don't wanna many changes to existing cards.

I'll say that two 75-100 cards expansions each year is the MAXIMUM we can hope from Blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fr0d0b0ls0n View Post
    Is not that easy, they need new mechanics for keeping things interesting, and some can be a pain in the ass to code/debug. Also many cards have spell effects, and you need to tune them, we don't wanna many changes to existing cards.

I'll say that two 75-100 cards expansions each year is the MAXIMUM we can hope from Blizzard.
    Well seeing as MTG-online, that already has several thousands of cards to take account for each time the introduce new mechanics, can keep up with their 3 month release of new cards i can't see why Blizzard wouldn't be able to do the same if this game takes of and becomes a huge hit. Code/debug is not as big of a problem in a 2d game like this with set limitations to what each card can do. There is already people that have made apps you can play-test your decks on with the released cards, that can do pretty much everything the real game can just without the fancy graphics.

The biggest problem with making new sets it to make sure it's balanced and has flavor, witch is probably why it takes so long to release the first version of Hearthstone. Once you start making new sets of cards most of the balance problems simply disappear. If it turns out a card is too strong halfway through a set you can just release a direct counter to it in the next set that is just around the corner, or if you find out straight away it's broken you could quickly nerf it slightly since it's an online game only.

Remember every time they release a new set, a lot of people will have a reason to start buying new packs again.

300ish cards is a standard for a TCG game when it's first released. No doubt expansions will follow after that.

300 cards seems okay for a release, I would think. What I'm hoping is that the next card releases do not make some of the current cards obsolete in the way that M:TG's current cards denote an obvious power creep from its earlier days (P9 not included, of course).

I would be sad if we started seeing 4/1s for 1 at some point.