Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Without WC3, how would we perceive the LK story/expansion?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Without WC3, how would we perceive the LK story/expansion?
    Probably the same. How many WoW players do you actually think played WC3?

10+ Year Old Account
    LK had a huge impact on the game, and made you feel that the whole way through. He appeared in dungeons, showing his direct influence, his lore and general badassery. I still to this day go to northrend once in a while and read the bubbles of text about how they are investigating the enemies being fought in the citadel.

I think there are many interesting stories in WoW but none have been implemented as well as LK was. Maybe illidan which is my favorite even more than LK, but he was pretty much just dropped off by Blizz and he only recently got a little face time in end of times(?) where we all play as Nelfs.

I loathe the panda story and really hope Blizz goes back to their story telling roots and gives us an epic expansion that lives up to the LK experience, no doubt it will happen with the legion... probably won't be very much into WoW again until that expac hits.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Probably the same. How many WoW players do you actually think played WC3?
    I didn't because I never play RTS games that much but I did however watch the cinematics and read up on the lore many of times before playing WoW. I have no doubt they are great games, should probably buy them and play through at least once.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2013-03-25 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    LK had a huge impact on the game, and made you feel that the whole way through. He appeared in dungeons, showing his direct influence, his lore and general badassery. I still to this day go to northrend once in a while and read the bubbles of text about how they are investigating the enemies being fought in the citadel.

I think there are many interesting stories in WoW but none have been implemented as well as LK was. Maybe illidan which is my favorite even more than LK, but he was pretty much just dropped off by Blizz and he only recently got a little face time in end of times(?) where we all play as Nelfs.

I loathe the panda story and really hope Blizz goes back to their story telling roots and gives us an epic expansion that lives up to the LK experience, no doubt it will happen with the legion... probably won't be very much into WoW again until that expac hits.

I didn't because I never play RTS games that much but I did however watch the cinematics and read up on the lore many of times before playing WoW. I have no doubt they are great games, should probably buy them and play through at least once.
    I hope Blizzard won't go back to WotLK's storytelling because it was terrible...

I have to agree, ever since playing Warcraft, all I ever wanted to do was to kill Arthas. Luckily I got to. The game has just been basically side stories to me ever since. There is no ramp up, nothing to really look forward to anymore. Cata we knew it was deathwing and it ended up being very boring. MoP it'll be Garrosh and just something else to log on every week to do. Nothing epic. Killing every boss up to Arthas felt epic. Like I was one step closer to fulfilling a wish I had had for years.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I don't care much for lore, but I really love the LK fight. It felt epic at the time, and still feels epic to this day.
    I have to echo this comment as well.

Having not played WC3 or any Warcraft game prior to WoW, the Icecrown Citadel was the only instance to date where the scenery, bosses and experience were intriguing enough for me to go outside of the game to research.

I like MoP, it feels fresh. It just doesn't really grab me like Icecrown Citadel/Lich King did.

Deleted
    I will always appreciate it for putting Vikings in the game. Even if said Vikings were a shameless rip off of the Norscans.

Opinions are opinions. I really loved the story from Wrath of the Lich King but I don't know if it was my favorite. Wrath was my favorite expansion though.

Deleted
    Meh, EMO King sucks. I don't know why everyone loves him so much...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    Meh, EMO King sucks. I don't know why everyone loves him so much...
    Darth Vadar with snow and zombies. What's not to love?

10+ Year Old Account
    LK had a very interesting story, and I got goosebumps the first 10-20 times I watched the wotlk cinematic. However, actually playing through wotlk, LK's awesomeness dropped hard. I know he didn't kill us instantly to make us stronger, to make us his ultimate champions, and ICC itself was one of my favorite raids.. but the story throughout wotlk just didn't feel that epic to me. And actually, with all this Titan/Old God related stuff popping up in MoP, I feel that this expansion's lore is far more interesting. Since the expansions last boss isn't someone with a lot of background tied to the continent, we have no idea what's going to pop up next. MoP > WotLK lore- and storywise, in my opinion.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidog View Post
    Is there ANYTHING more epic, more expansive, more fantastic than the whole Lich King lore in wow?
    I am not just talking about WOTLK being the best expansion alone, what i imply here is, there is no other lore in all of the WoW expansions, that can even compete with the awesomeness of LK.
    TBC was cool, Cata was wtf deathwing... MoP is nothing compared to any of the above lore wise.
    LK and WOW are the 2 best matches ever made. Nothing can be more ICONIC than LK. What do you guys think?
    I am not much into lore.... but I have to admit that WotLK was the best xpac up untill now.
    Even for people not knowledgeable about lore, I for one, could feel the LK through out the xpac and was exited to finally reach his awesome throne and down him.

I agree that Blizzard did an epic job with Lk and I am not a WC player... I joined wow in the middle of TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I like the way they handled Illidan in TBC, even if they admitted themselves that they didn't. It could've been better, yes, but I still liked it. I know Illidan was there, I saw his minions all over the planet, I knew in which zone he had his headquarters. It made me more excited for when I actually did see him, or hear his voice while doing elite quests in Shadowmoon. He felt like a really big and mysterious threat. There were lots of threatening things in Outland, and the questing around Black Temple was incredibly cool. To think that the leader still couldn't be arsed with us enough to show himself made me think he was a huge threat, and a badass. While they did improve on the storytelling overall in WotLK, and even if I know *why* LK showed up all the time, he lost a bit of his epicness. It was still amazing finally progressing up to him and seeing him sit on his throne with Frostmourne having those amazing effects. But he didn't feel like as much of a threat to me.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Stood in the Fire UnstoppableErasor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizz could redo from original to cata all of their stories would have been better. Reason is they have tech now which they didn't have earlier.
    But I wouldn't go gathering all the dragon balls for that wish though
    "Earth can be shaped molded... you cannot you are useless" - Ascendant Lord Obsidius

Deleted
    The Burning Legion!!

Deleted
    humm this made me think of the LK song (invincible) so epic

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    The entire Scourge and Lich King lore is definately the best imo. After WotLK the game went downhill for me, and the sub drops agree with me.

The badassness of the Scourge:

[IMG]-clip-[/IMG]
    This just annoys me too much not to comment.
    You mean the subscriber drop from around 10 million in wotlk down to 12 million in cataclysm?(yes i know i said drop/down :P)
    And the horrible low 9,6 million that is the current numbers?
    Good going on not knowing your numbers and making things up:P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft if you want to check up on it.

OT:
    I loved the story, but dunno if i would call it the best. I just follow some of them and enjoy them. Not really rating it
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidog View Post
    Is there ANYTHING more epic, more expansive, more fantastic than the whole Lich King lore in wow?
    I am not just talking about WOTLK being the best expansion alone, what i imply here is, there is no other lore in all of the WoW expansions, that can even compete with the awesomeness of LK.
    TBC was cool, Cata was wtf deathwing... MoP is nothing compared to any of the above lore wise.
    LK and WOW are the 2 best matches ever made. Nothing can be more ICONIC than LK. What do you guys think?
    I don't care. I didn't know the LK lore, I hardly experienced any lore ingame and I refuse to read books or wiki's to know what the hell I am playing. I like Pandaria a lot more. I can experience the lore ingame, by reading scrolls, watching cutscenes, playing scenario's. Infinitely better then some cold dude on an ice-throne that apparently wants to kill us all for no good reason (what else is new?).

Deleted
    One thing that makes LK storyline so strong is that we can learn most of it from proper medium - games. Past LK story arc Blizzard is forcing players interested in lore to read bunch of crappy books. For the record, I love reading books, just not glorified fan fiction Blizzard is feeding us.

Well the majority of War3 was based on him, that's a lot more game time than nearly anything else in the WoW lore so far.