View Poll Results: Which Expansion Was the Best?

Voters
987. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vanilla

64 6.48%
  • The Burning Crusade

326 33.03%
  • Wrath of The Lich King

467 47.32%
  • Cataclysm

39 3.95%
  • Mists of Pandaria

319 32.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Who from here remenber when +1y ago there were threads like this and WotlK was largely considered the worst xpac ever? Amazing turn of events to see it now considered the best xpac.

Gotta love the internet

P.S vanilla an xpac? ok ...
    Last edited by Letsbefair; 2013-03-25 at 08:29 PM.
    by Aurust :
    Although i havent played it, there is I believe enough info to form a valid opinion.
    To give my opinion on the new WOW xpac..... Ive played enough wow to know MOP is a complete disaster..... I visualized playing it in my head and it was bad.

I am Murloc! Valyrian Stormclaw's Avatar
    World's End Tavern, listening to the ETC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    Who from here remenber when +1y ago there were threads like this and WotlK was largely considered the worst xpac ever? Amazing turn of events to see it now considered the best xpac.

Gotta love the internet
    Siege Weapons + Uldular + DK + Storyline of epic proportions + novel = best expansion that ever hit WoW.

Hard choice between WotLK and MoP for me.

WotLK had amazing background and scenery. The whole "Vrykul" lore and art design was just marvellous. Also, WotLK featured my favourite raid instance - you guessed it, Ulduar - favourite boss encounter - Malygos, and was very alt friendly. Besides, it was before the LFR era, and for me it was pugging at its finest.

MoP on the other hand is an amazing expansion just by the sheer amount of content. There is simply a lot to do, no way to get bored unless you choose to. The raid encounters are memorable and fun as well, the lore and story progression (besides the change of Garroshes character, hate that) is great, and the fact that Blizzard seems to be keeping the word of releasing content nicely and smoothly is amazing.

So, hard pick, but will go with MoP.

TBC, of course. Because I started playing there. If I started playing in WoTLK, it would absolutely for sure be WotLK. If I started playing in Cata - well, hope you got the idea.
    MoP is good enough to not be bored to hell, which happened to me lots of times during Cata. Really don't know why people are still complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    TBC - Was hell for those who Raided or loved Alts - attunements. Otherwise good.
    i think the removal of attunements was to date the worst thing done to the game. you had to earn your spot.
    you couldnt just ding max level and get carried through things the way it is now. there was still plenty of casual content, but if you wanted nice shiny toys you had to earn the right to compete for them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    i wonder if all those who voted for MoP have even played longer than a year to KNOW what the others were like in their own time.???
    also this earlier post was just a casual musing, so many replies to it sound like i was trying to degrade something.
    Last edited by Bad Ashe; 2013-03-25 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    The only reason people aren't getting and won't be getting nostalgic over Cataclysm is because the loss of subs affect people's opinions so drastically. If subs had been going up people would already be talking about Firelands being one of the best raids ever, and how badass Deathwing was. That's why we probably won't see the typical "the expansion that was 2 times before the current one was the best" syndrome in the next expansion either, that and there weren't enough people who joined during Cataclysm to make it a big nostalgic act for the community.
    Or, maybe folks aren't voting for it because it really wasn't very good.

Also, it's pretty short-sighted to label all favorable retrospective as nothing more than 'nostalgia'. Not everything improves with every new version. It's true of every other entertainment medium, and it's true in video games as well.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

i liked both tbc and wrath, tbc cause it was like vanilla WoW but more of it, and wrath for its story and I really liked frozen throne and I wanted more of it.

Oh look, another one of these threads. Again. How very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by blackyfrost View Post
    may be a language barrier, but "newer = better" is false

sometimes newer = cheaper, better, worse, orange, etc
    No, not because it was newer but because it was fixing old issues and adding new features. Each expantion was a game upgrade.

As far as story and content, WotLK. But I felt PvP, especially world PvP, was best in BC. So depending on how you define best, one of those.

i think the removal of attunements was to date the worst thing done to the game. you had to earn your spot.
    you couldnt just ding max level and get carried through things the way it is now. there was still plenty of casual content, but if you wanted nice shiny toys you had to earn the right to compete for them.
    Yeah, because time you spend in front of a computer game suddenly becomes a measurement of how skillfull player you are. Being attuned proved nothing and was nothing more than a major pain in the ass for recruitment limiting your pool of recruit basing on stupid requirements. Because attuning recruits was sooooooo much fun...

Nowadays you also need to work for your shinies but unlike before you need more skill and less time.

I think we are playing the best expansion right now. We'll see how it ends though. Cata was a strong xpac until the DragonSoul fiasco. So lets not be hasty with MoP

I'd say TBC but MoP is really good too and even reminds me about TBC.

Signature made by my best friend Aryiana.

Wrath was the bomb hands down!

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    The only reason people aren't getting and won't be getting nostalgic over Cataclysm is because the loss of subs affect people's opinions so drastically. If subs had been going up people would already be talking about Firelands being one of the best raids ever, and how badass Deathwing was. That's why we probably won't see the typical "the expansion that was 2 times before the current one was the best" syndrome in the next expansion either, that and there weren't enough people who joined during Cataclysm to make it a big nostalgic act for the community.
    I agree. People love jumping bandwagons. Cataclysm had its flaws and I would say given the last 3 expantions it was the worse because Blizzard planned too many things for it and didn't manage to go thru with all of it therefor Cata had some holes. However, it still was by far better than everything before WoTLK which for me is like middleages of WoW when it comes to game design.

I was little sketchy still of MoP, but after the new 5.3 PTR files and lil sneak previews, i'm convinst that MoP has almost only good patches which older expansions didnt had, so MoP ftw for me.
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    no king rules forever, but WoW is a stubborn bastard.

Mists of Pandaria.

It wasn't a matter of earning your spot, it was the massive amount of guild hopping/poaching making some guilds get stuck. People joined a guild, got their attunements done, left to join a better guild. If you wanted to play alts you had to do the same, it sucked.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-03-25 at 10:07 PM.

The zones and story felt pretty unnatural in TBC. Each zone was dramatically different from the next, to the point where it was jarring.

In terms of Setting and Story, I'm going to go with WotLK. Each zone is distinct, but not dramatically so. (Moving from HFP to Zangarmarsh. RED TO BLUE)
    There's a lot of different quests, with implementation of vehicles, that started to spice things up.

The leveling gear was a step up from what we got in TBC (which was largely rehashed old-world stuff)

The new class was -completely- bananas at launch, though.

I'm voting for WLK, because as an entirety, it was definately a prime point of my time with WoW.

Cataclysm brought us some very nice features; XMogging, LFR, etc.
    MoP has brought some less important features, like Scenarios, Pet Battles, and some general shifts in philosophy, like the revised glyph and talent trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    Yeah, because time you spend in front of a computer game suddenly becomes a measurement of how skillfull player you are. Being attuned proved nothing and was nothing more than a major pain in the ass for recruitment limiting your pool of recruit basing on stupid requirements. Because attuning recruits was sooooooo much fun...

Nowadays you also need to work for your shinies but unlike before you need more skill and less time.
    i was never an "elite" player, and never aspired to such.
    i stand by my viewpoint though, that imo the game has gone far too casual.

again, if its something you want, you're willing to put in the work to get it. you made my whole point for me: if a recruit is not up to par on gear/attunement, then you already know they arent worth your time.

see? i just saved you a lockout period with a failed recruit.