Poll: Which Expansion Was the Best?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    TBC, of course. Because I started playing there. If I started playing in WoTLK, it would absolutely for sure be WotLK. If I started playing in Cata - well, hope you got the idea.
    MoP is good enough to not be bored to hell, which happened to me lots of times during Cata. Really don't know why people are still complaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    TBC - Was hell for those who Raided or loved Alts - attunements. Otherwise good.
    i think the removal of attunements was to date the worst thing done to the game. you had to earn your spot.
    you couldnt just ding max level and get carried through things the way it is now. there was still plenty of casual content, but if you wanted nice shiny toys you had to earn the right to compete for them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    i wonder if all those who voted for MoP have even played longer than a year to KNOW what the others were like in their own time.???
    also this earlier post was just a casual musing, so many replies to it sound like i was trying to degrade something.
    Last edited by Bad Ashe; 2013-03-25 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    The only reason people aren't getting and won't be getting nostalgic over Cataclysm is because the loss of subs affect people's opinions so drastically. If subs had been going up people would already be talking about Firelands being one of the best raids ever, and how badass Deathwing was. That's why we probably won't see the typical "the expansion that was 2 times before the current one was the best" syndrome in the next expansion either, that and there weren't enough people who joined during Cataclysm to make it a big nostalgic act for the community.
    Or, maybe folks aren't voting for it because it really wasn't very good.

Also, it's pretty short-sighted to label all favorable retrospective as nothing more than 'nostalgia'. Not everything improves with every new version. It's true of every other entertainment medium, and it's true in video games as well.

i liked both tbc and wrath, tbc cause it was like vanilla WoW but more of it, and wrath for its story and I really liked frozen throne and I wanted more of it.

Oh look, another one of these threads. Again. How very useful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackyfrost View Post
    may be a language barrier, but "newer = better" is false

sometimes newer = cheaper, better, worse, orange, etc
    No, not because it was newer but because it was fixing old issues and adding new features. Each expantion was a game upgrade.

As far as story and content, WotLK. But I felt PvP, especially world PvP, was best in BC. So depending on how you define best, one of those.

15+ Year Old Account
    i think the removal of attunements was to date the worst thing done to the game. you had to earn your spot.
    you couldnt just ding max level and get carried through things the way it is now. there was still plenty of casual content, but if you wanted nice shiny toys you had to earn the right to compete for them.
    Yeah, because time you spend in front of a computer game suddenly becomes a measurement of how skillfull player you are. Being attuned proved nothing and was nothing more than a major pain in the ass for recruitment limiting your pool of recruit basing on stupid requirements. Because attuning recruits was sooooooo much fun...

Nowadays you also need to work for your shinies but unlike before you need more skill and less time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we are playing the best expansion right now. We'll see how it ends though. Cata was a strong xpac until the DragonSoul fiasco. So lets not be hasty with MoP

I'd say TBC but MoP is really good too and even reminds me about TBC.

Wrath was the bomb hands down!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    The only reason people aren't getting and won't be getting nostalgic over Cataclysm is because the loss of subs affect people's opinions so drastically. If subs had been going up people would already be talking about Firelands being one of the best raids ever, and how badass Deathwing was. That's why we probably won't see the typical "the expansion that was 2 times before the current one was the best" syndrome in the next expansion either, that and there weren't enough people who joined during Cataclysm to make it a big nostalgic act for the community.
    I agree. People love jumping bandwagons. Cataclysm had its flaws and I would say given the last 3 expantions it was the worse because Blizzard planned too many things for it and didn't manage to go thru with all of it therefor Cata had some holes. However, it still was by far better than everything before WoTLK which for me is like middleages of WoW when it comes to game design.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was little sketchy still of MoP, but after the new 5.3 PTR files and lil sneak previews, i'm convinst that MoP has almost only good patches which older expansions didnt had, so MoP ftw for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mists of Pandaria.

It wasn't a matter of earning your spot, it was the massive amount of guild hopping/poaching making some guilds get stuck. People joined a guild, got their attunements done, left to join a better guild. If you wanted to play alts you had to do the same, it sucked.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-03-25 at 10:07 PM.

The zones and story felt pretty unnatural in TBC. Each zone was dramatically different from the next, to the point where it was jarring.

In terms of Setting and Story, I'm going to go with WotLK. Each zone is distinct, but not dramatically so. (Moving from HFP to Zangarmarsh. RED TO BLUE)
    There's a lot of different quests, with implementation of vehicles, that started to spice things up.

The leveling gear was a step up from what we got in TBC (which was largely rehashed old-world stuff)

The new class was -completely- bananas at launch, though.

I'm voting for WLK, because as an entirety, it was definately a prime point of my time with WoW.

Cataclysm brought us some very nice features; XMogging, LFR, etc.
    MoP has brought some less important features, like Scenarios, Pet Battles, and some general shifts in philosophy, like the revised glyph and talent trees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    Yeah, because time you spend in front of a computer game suddenly becomes a measurement of how skillfull player you are. Being attuned proved nothing and was nothing more than a major pain in the ass for recruitment limiting your pool of recruit basing on stupid requirements. Because attuning recruits was sooooooo much fun...

Nowadays you also need to work for your shinies but unlike before you need more skill and less time.
    i was never an "elite" player, and never aspired to such.
    i stand by my viewpoint though, that imo the game has gone far too casual.

again, if its something you want, you're willing to put in the work to get it. you made my whole point for me: if a recruit is not up to par on gear/attunement, then you already know they arent worth your time.

see? i just saved you a lockout period with a failed recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    The zones and story felt pretty unnatural in TBC. Each zone was dramatically different from the next, to the point where it was jarring.
    Well it was supposed to have an otherworldly feel to it, the only zone which really went a little too far in terms of different feel was Nagrand, and they probably didn't need that much water in Zangarmarsh either.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNK View Post
    I think we are playing the best expansion right now. We'll see how it ends though. Cata was a strong xpac until the DragonSoul fiasco. So lets not be hasty with MoP
    Eh. Cataclysm was showing the cracks when they had nothing to release with 5.1 except the Zandalari-revamped troll instances. This is coming from someone who had no problem playing just to raid casually in Cata, and consider its beginning my favorite period of the game. Personally, I secretly harbor the thought that they even had to waste time tuning down Firelands some after how hard Tier 11 hit most of the playerbase. (And we all know how much developer time was taken up on revamped Azeroth + Vash'jir)

Mists is heading on it's 3rd of estimated 4th content patch, and I'd dare say it's already delivered more than Cataclysm. So despite not playing it I can say I am certainly not surprised it is second in the polls. I also presume that maybe Cata's lull has something to do with the positive reception amongst those who stuck around for Mists, myself, but it's hard to really verify these nostalgia/bias arguments, am I right?

I abstain from voting between WoW and BC since I apparently could do both. Not much of a fan of Wrath outside of Zul'drak, Storm Peaks and Ulduar (so original, I know).
    It wasn't long ago / I was just like you / And now I think I'm sick and I wanna go home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    what if SEARING WOLVES? The possibilities?!!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Overall, WotLK was the best IMO. Cool raids, better questing, cool zones, lowest amount of complaints on the official forums of any expansion, and fast-paced PvP.

BC also had fast-paced PvP which was fun if you were on the right class/spec, but the raids were boring as can be.
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.