View Poll Results: What do you think about the case?

Voters
348. You may not vote on this poll
  • She should get more

    267 76.72%
  • She received a fair settlement

    47 13.51%
  • She should get less

    11 3.16%
  • She should get nothing

    9 2.59%
  • She should be prosecuted for false accusations

    6 1.72%
  • The school was at fault

    181 52.01%
  • The school was NOT at fault

    12 3.45%
  • It was her own fault

    14 4.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    in the library? they must have been quite......

    she deserved more money....damn..some ppl burned themself by hot coffee from mc donalds and gets paid millions

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    One of those "intelligent" theories by one of many republican senators that the woman can "shut down" her body during rape to prevent getting pregnant. Makes you loose brain cells just reading about it.

    When I first saw that, I couldn't stop laughing. I remember when I was intimate with an old girlfriend and she told me she forgot protection. I then showed her the video and said I had my own form of birth control.

    My sense of humor is really bad when I satirize things.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    In the school library? How the hell did that happen without anyone noticing it?
    People still go to libraries? =P

  4. #24
    She should have got a lot more and the schools representative who made her apologize to the rapist should lose his or her job and be publicly named and shamed or at least be made to pay a share of the compensation from their own pocket.
    Injustice like that just makes me cringe..

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    People still go to libraries? =P

    ya they do.

  6. #26
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,739
    whilst this will help towards her future, and yes she deserves more. its not about about the monies involved,

    What should be happening is that every teacher or school official that ignored and made her write an apology to the rapist should loose their job and banned from any form of profession where they are dealing with children directly or indirectly. its an absolute travesty that she had to endure this not once but twice, and she should have been seen by a doctor to examine her for sexual abuse the first time it was reported.

    As for the Rapist, There is no mention of his age, However I have always been of the opinion that there are two crimes that people should be charged as an adult, Rape is one of them. As a Juvenile I believe that (and I could be wrong) but at a certain age he is let out of prison and the record of the crime sealed so it wont affect his future, if this is the case then it is wrong. The victim will have to live with this memory for the rest of her life, why shouldn't the guilty party have it affect the rest of his life too ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sigma : Super Intelligent Giant Moldy Anchovy

  7. #27
    Old God Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    10,044
    I do feel sorry for the girl, having to go through something like that and have no-one believe you must've been hell.

    That said, I don't agree with suing the school. The school itself (Teachers, Pupil, etc...) were not wholly responsible for the lack of commitment to pursue this case, and all this does is take away funding from other students and projects within the school.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    You'd be surprised at the mental arithmetic these people perform. "I think the blame should be on her too, but I'm not saying it's her fault, because I'm just saying she's the one made it happen, and this isn't victim blaming because her being raped is a lesson for all you girls!!!!"
    I hope you realize that its just that lawyers will do whatever it takes to win a case (and/or reduce the severity of the case for their clients).

    It has nothing to do with what the people involved believe morally/logically about the issue at hand.

  9. #29
    Interesting how the main thing everyone is fixating on is the money. So what should be the going rate for getting raped these days?

  10. #30
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    In the school library? How the hell did that happen without anyone noticing it?
    Probably the least visited place in a school, sadly :P

    But yeah, 180k seems really really low, especially considering one THIRD of that went to her lawyer.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I do feel sorry for the girl, having to go through something like that and have no-one believe you must've been hell.

    That said, I don't agree with suing the school. The school itself (Teachers, Pupil, etc...) were not wholly responsible for the lack of commitment to pursue this case, and all this does is take away funding from other students and projects within the school.
    It makes me question why exactly are schools getting special treatment when it comes to crimes? Especially serious crimes like rape or assault. Just because the victims and the perps are children shouldn't make them any less serious. If anything, they should be treated more seriously as they can cause more harm and are more likely to lead to suicides.

  12. #32
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Interesting how the main thing everyone is fixating on is the money. So what should be the going rate for getting raped these days?
    That's why people sue, isn't it? I think it is very debatable if a lawsuit can bring peace of mind / closure / mental sanity to a victim, especially a rape victim.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I hope you realize that its just that lawyers will do whatever it takes to win a case (and/or reduce the severity of the case for their clients).

    It has nothing to do with what the people involved believe morally/logically about the issue at hand.
    That was actually meant at some other posters/mods on this forum. But I disagree with this insofar as the school is concerned too. They expelled her (but not the rapist) for "Public Display of Affection". Because, you know, apparently that's what we're calling rape now. This whole affair screams misogyny through and through.

    The school failed multiple times. They breached their legal duty to report all incidents of sexual assault. If they truly believe no assault took place them both parties to consensual sex has to be disciplined. Yet they punished the rape victim for apparently having "public displays of affection" with herself, but did nothing to the rapist. This sort of cover up isn't conducted by people capable of human morality.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2013-03-25 at 08:29 AM.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    But I disagree with this insofar as the school is concerned too. They expelled her (but not the rapist) for "Public Display of Affection". Because, you know, apparently that's what we're calling rape now. This whole affair screams misogyny through and through.
    It was a bad decision, but think about it from the shoes of the people in charge of the school. Noone wants to touch that incident with a ten foot pole. In this case, the school leadership comes up with the (bad) solution of expelling her. Protecting themselves and the school make sense; they just didn't go about it in the right way. Obviously they (someone affiliated with the school) also made slip ups earlier which is what they were trying to cover up with their BS. It has nothing to do with misogyny (as you frequently like to assert) and more to do with idiots trying to cover their asses with firecrackers. It comes back and bites them in the butt.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-03-25 at 08:34 AM.

  15. #35
    Old God Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    10,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    It makes me question why exactly are schools getting special treatment when it comes to crimes? Especially serious crimes like rape or assault. Just because the victims and the perps are children shouldn't make them any less serious. If anything, they should be treated more seriously as they can cause more harm and are more likely to lead to suicides.
    I do agree. Schools have a duty to safeguard, protect and to educate the children while they're on the grounds. If they're not doing that, they're failing to do their duties and should be investigated.

    However, I don't agree with the school having to pay out, as it takes funding away from other children, and in todays society the first place spending cuts are made are on those with learning disabilities, which typically are the most costly areas of education. In this specific case though, the sum of the payout is fairly low, it should cover therapy, support and provide some form of compensation.

    There are some horror stories of pupils pretty much bankrupting schools after being bullied in the playground, it is stories like those I feel that suing schools is excessive and greedy, but in this case where the duties of the school were not upheld, the lack of support from the school to investigate and aid the girl, and the costs she'll need to cover to deal with the situation (She already has difficulties in her life), I feel the payout is fairly balanced.

  16. #36
    Brewmaster Grievuuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ringsted, Denmark.
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Probably the least visited place in a school, sadly :P

    But yeah, 180k seems really really low, especially considering one THIRD of that went to her lawyer.
    Wait, so you're telling me that some monkey dressed up in a suit, stepped up in court and went ''herp derp sexual assault exam, grave injustice. Gief money nao'' - got 60.000$ for doing so? Why am I not a lawyer o.x

    Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    Umm, skinny guys with abs are like a fat girl with big boobs. It don't really count.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    It was a bad decision, but think about it from the shoes of the people in charge of the school. Noone wants to touch that incident with a ten foot pole.
    What a disgusting excuse you're now inventing to defend these scum.


    Protecting themselves and the school make sense
    Their duty is to protect the children under their charge. Leave it to the misogyny apologist to justify an extreme dereliction of duty as "make sense".

    Obviously they (someone affiliated with the school) also made slip ups earlier
    Yes intimidating a rape victim into recanting and then punishing her for having sex, but not the rapist, is just a "slip up". They totally meant to punish both students for the totally consensual sex but they just forgot because they don't want to deal with it!!!!


    It has nothing to do with misogyny (as you frequently like to assert)
    Boy rapes girl. School punishes girl for "having sex". Boy gets off scotch free.

    Maybe you should tell the world to be less misogynistic first.

  18. #38
    Old God Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    10,044
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Boy rapes girl. School punishes girl for "having sex". Boy gets off scotch free.

    Maybe you should tell the world to be less misogynistic first.
    I've seen more often then not (personal experience) that guys get far more punished for having sex in high school then girls. In my high-school there were plenty of girls who were going around whoring themselves out, wearing pretty much nothing, all getting pregnant from sex at the school, and none of them were punished as the school didn't want to be seen as the school that refused a young aspiring women who is pregnant her education.

    The guys on the other hand were all permanently expelled, and, while I don't live in the local area anymore, I'm sure none of them found another school so failed to even complete basic education.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    What a disgusting excuse you're now inventing to defend these scum.

    Their duty is to protect the children under their charge. Leave it to the misogyny apologist to justify an extreme dereliction of duty as "make sense".

    Yes intimidating a rape victim into recanting and then punishing her for having sex, but not the rapist, is just a "slip up". They totally meant to punish both students for the totally consensual sex but they just forgot because they don't want to deal with it!!!!

    Boy rapes girl. School punishes girl for "having sex". Boy gets off scotch free.

    Maybe you should tell the world to be less misogynistic first.
    Wow. Going off the deep end aren't we.

    My argument is that these people decided (wrongly) it would be better to shaft someone to cover their own asses. It has nothing to do with being misogynist at all.

    Stop making everything out to be Everyone vs. Victimized Women (as you do with almost every thread) because thats clearly not the case here.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I've seen more often then not (personal experience) that guys get far more punished for having sex in high school then girls.
    Anyone can have any sort of personal experience.

    Doesn't change the fact that the school's action in this actual, documented case is despicable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •