Poll: What do you think about the case?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    If the mayor locked you up for being raped, you probably would.
    But the main issue here is that most schools (I may be missing something in the case of this school) are majority funded by Government. The same goes the Mayors office and wages. Suing the School / Mayor would just be taking money from Government.

I'm not against her actions to sue, they're totally justified in my view, but the culture of suing to make a profit has to end. You need just enough compensation to deal with your issues. If after several years of therapy you're still not okay with going into a Library, then you're either lying for more compensation, or you're screwed in the head anyway.

People make a living of suing other people, and it has to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    You seem to be a huge male hater from all of your posts.
    Sure, what happened was wrong but you attack men so much.
    I just wonder how one can stand to live with so much anger as semaphore or quite a few people on this board for that matter seem to. It doesn't make for a lot of happiness to have one's jimmies constantly rustled.

OT: I dunno if the school should have paid, but the administrators responsible certainly should have.

EDIT

Also, voting all options because I can.
    Last edited by whathump; 2013-03-25 at 09:28 AM.

There is no money that could compensate a rape.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    This happened in America, of course there's a giant lawsuit against the school district. Folks here will sue a store for a stubbed toe or spilled drink. Lawsuits. Lawsuits everywhere.
    Do you just hate every country except your own? Care to inform us of where you do live, so we may pass ignorant judgement on you and your citizens? That said, America does seem to have a growing suing culture, but in this case, it was justified.

I've been certified by the MMO-Champion Board of Directors, The Pentagon, The European Union & the United Nations to be the guy that calls justification on matters such as these. I've even got a little badge with my name on it!

In this case the girl's got a case, what they did to her was terrible, and my votes show as such regarding what I think. I'm not going to jump on the pity party bandwagon and cry misogyny, though, since that solves nothing except feeding complexes. Now, if they can show a pattern of doing this to multiple female students, and not a single male student, then a charge of misogyny wouldn't look silly and would have merit.

I mean, it's not like idiot school officials have ever been unfair to boys, right?
    But you're taking a case, picking the specifics that you want to sensationalise and then applying them to other, completely different generalised cases...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    So where are all these "male hater" posts I've supposedly written?
    You just mentioned "rape culture". We all know what it implies and who supports it.

her getting more money solves nothing, the school and the rapist should be punished in other ways

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMexican View Post
    Did you even read the thread? The school said she was lying, and expelled her and gave her no help and let the rape, assaults continue.
    You're trying to make it sound as if the school forced her to get raped. Call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by whathump View Post
    I just wonder how one can stand to live with so much anger as semaphore or quite a few people on this board for that matter seem to. It doesn't make for a lot of happiness to have one's jimmies constantly rustled.
    I just wonder if people are reading into her posts with their own tone of voice, and not the one she is portraying. I'm rarely on her side when it comes to many controversial debates, in many cases we have totally opposite views, but I've rarely seen her attitude to be aggressive or anti-male.

She might be pro-women (again, in my opinion) but I don't see much about her posts that are anti-male.

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    her getting more money solves nothing, the school and the rapist should be punished in other ways
    The rapist is being punished by the Justice System. The school on the other hand (as a 'organisation') shouldn't be punished as a whole. Policies need changing, and the people who expelled her or refused her support should lose their jobs, but to punish the entire school, and then effectively the students, is not the right way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Do you just hate every country except your own? Care to inform us of where you do live, so we may pass ignorant judgement on you and your citizens? That said, America does seem to have a growing suing culture, but in this case, it was justified.

I've been certified by the MMO-Champion Board of Directors, The Pentagon, The European Union & the United Nations to be the guy that calls justification on matters such as these. I've even got a little badge with my name on it!

But you're taking a case, picking the specifics that you want to sensationalise and then applying them to other, completely different generalised cases...
    Not sure why you've got a hard-on to come after me, but I was saying that DESPITE America having a litigious culture, this girl was completely justified in suing. She was treated terribly.

Why is that worthy of your righteous condemnation?

I live in the US at the moment, but I'm Greek. You're free to say whatever you want about Greeks. I've heard every sort of complaint, criticism, ethnic slur, and vile stereotype imaginable about Greeks in my time going between the UK and the US. And no one has ever gotten punished for any of it, in fact it's encouraged. So go ahead, you won't surprise me with anything you say. Am I a parasite? Am I lazy? Am I an Ethiopian pretending to be white? Am I gay, like all my ancestors apparently were? Am I a cheat and thief?

Go ahead, have a go at me with some new negative to use. I doubt you'll come up with anything I haven't already had thrown at me.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2013-03-25 at 09:33 AM.

There are no winners here. The girl is going to have to live with the trauma for years to come, and those 185 grand are going to come out of funds that would have gone toward giving children a decent education.

Is it stated somewhere whether the school officials that did this got so much as a slap on the wrist for it? Or did they just go on, business as usual, and let the taxpayers pick up the tab for their disgusting behaviour? Real justice imo would have been to hold them responsible rather let them hide behind the school and make them pay the compensation. Not to mention make sure they're never in a position of authority ever again.

Not sure why you've got a hard-on to come after me, but I was saying that DESPITE America having a litigious culture, this girl was completely justified in suing. She was treated terribly. Why is that worthy of your righteous condemnation?
    The only thing I think you need to understand is the difference between directed insults, attacks and general statements and comments. Just because I quote you, doesn't mean every single part of my post is directed to you.

I was merely asking if you hate other nations, purely because a lot of your other

I live in the US at the moment, but I'm Greek. You're free to say whatever you want about Greeks. I've heard every sort of complaint, criticism, ethnic slur, and vile stereotype imaginable about Greeks in my time going between the UK and the US. And no one has ever gotten punished for any of it, in fact it's encouraged. So go ahead, you won't surprise me with anything you say. Am I a parasite? Am I lazy? Am I an Ethiopian pretending to be white? Am I gay, like all my ancestors apparently were? Am I a cheat and thief?
    Go ahead, have a go at me with some new negative to use. I doubt you'll come up with anything I haven't already had thrown at me.[/QUOTE]

I think you really need to take a break my friend. The Greeks situation is terrible, and self-inflicted, but I do highly doubt that on MMO-Champion the racist hatred you claim to have suffered from has been encouraged. Perhaps in the real world, maybe, but sadly there is little I can do that prevent that.

I would suggest you fix that chip in your shoulder. No-one likes to have conversations with people who are filled with hatred because of past experiences. Your post just smacks of the whole "I'm black and oppressed! My ancestors were slaves, the white man is still trying to push me down man!"

It just isn't true. Racism exists, but by getting all upset, pissed off and angry over something, makes you no different.

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 09:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deamon002 View Post
    There are no winners here. The girl is going to have to live with the trauma for years to come, and those 185 grand are going to come out of funds that would have gone toward giving children a decent education.

Is it stated somewhere whether the school officials that did this got so much as a slap on the wrist for it? Or did they just go on, business as usual, and let the taxpayers pick up the tab for their disgusting behaviour? Real justice imo would have been to hold them responsible rather let them hide behind the school and make them pay the compensation. Not to mention make sure they're never in a position of authority ever again.
    Very well summarised. Thankfully, someone is still able to wade into this chess-pit of a discussion, and come to a simple, coherent conclusion.

[Dumbledore Voice]For your valour and honourable efforts, I award you Mr Deamon002, +1 Internet[/Dumbledore Voice]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deamon002 View Post

Schools are never really in financial trouble. Both the schools and the government make a killing off of student loans.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    The school was at fault. And money is not enough, the entire leadership of the school should forcefully resign.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    The school was at fault. And money is not enough, the entire leadership of the school should forcefully resign.
    The school itself isn't at fault, the leadership and those who ignored her pleas for help are. The money however is about fair. I would've given a bit more cash, but overall the money should cover costs for Therapy, and if after all those years she isn't mentally stable again, she is either:

a) Lying for more money,
    b) Mentally screwed anyway,
    c) Therapist did a poor job.

Deleted
    Its obvious that the leadership of the school was at fault, not the teachers nor the students, draining them money they need for education is definently wrong.

Besides that what the fuck is wrong in america that you can sue anyone for anything, thats ridicolous. Shouldn't the rapist be sued and put in prison ? So let this idiot pay too instead of the educational building.

Over here the schools don't have that much money at all, if they would have to pay around 200k euros they had to close.

Ofcourse she should receive compensation for her suffering, but you guys advocating 10 times the amount... does more money really solve anything?
    Is it meant to make her feel it was okay to get raped and expelled for filing a false report?
    Nah, she got a fair settlement. Use what little money is left on education and security to make sure it never happens again.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    Over here the schools don't have that much money at all, if they would have to pay around 200k euros they had to close.
    Exactly my point. Why would you force a school to pay an insane amount of money making the lives worse of both employees and students. The rapist is the core of the crime, not the school, even if they failed to recognize it.

Sigh. I hate news reports like this. Who knows what the truth is. I would guess the news report isn't accurate. Reason? I am familiar with how the media manipulates the facts to support victims in these types of cases having been involved with a few rape cases.

That said, she sued the school and not the officials. It is questionable whether the school is responsible for the second rape due to being put on notice after the first rape especially considering they did not believe her. And as far as intentional infliction of emotional distress? Employers are not responsible for the intentional torts of their employees in this circumstance. I honestly do not know whether she could have won this case. It seems to me, especially given how the media likes to twist stories like this, the school would have prevailed in court. So the settlement seems fair to everyone involved: saves the school money in legal expenses and gives the girl some money. Do I think the girl deserved money for her suffering from the school? No. From the boy and the alleged officials? Maybe.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-03-25 at 11:26 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    In the school library? How the hell did that happen without anyone noticing it?
    I'm guessing not many students use it, or at least during the time when it happened; no clue about librarian if any.
    OT: It's sad how because of some people are capable of false rape claims that many girls are dismissed as being liars. For being assaulted twice and psychologically damaged I think she should have gotten more. And the school attempting to deny responsibility? Despicable and disgusting, they should investigate every case no matter hoe frivolous every single time just in case. If I were a parent and it had been my daughter I would have made it my mission to make sure whomever was in charge that denied the girl any justice to lose his/her job immediately and not be allowed into education again, or at least in no position of such power in education. F****** ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    Exactly my point. Why would you force a school to pay an insane amount of money making the lives worse of both employees and students. The rapist is the core of the crime, not the school, even if they failed to recognize it.
    She took the school to court because they did not fulfil their duty of care.
    It's the same as if a work place knows there is sexual assault going on but they do nothing about it also, even if you complain.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    She took the school to court because they did not fulfil their duty of care.
    It's the same as if a work place knows there is sexual assault going on but they do nothing about it also, even if you complain.
    So you actually think it's reasonable to take a million dollar from a school that educates hundreds or thousands of students in order to compensate one student who was treated wrong? The newsflash here is that cutbacks at a school will affect everyone attending the school, it won't just be a red figure in their budget. They'll need to make budget cuts, fire staff, stuff more students in each class etc.
    I'm not questioning that she got compensation, I'm questioning that people want the school to compensate her with even more money.